Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0603adobeproductionstudio.html

Adobe planning Mac version of Production Studio
By Ryan Katz, Senior Editor
March 15, 2006 - Sources familiar with Adobe's plans report the company intends to release a Mac version Production Studio 2, marking the return of Premiere to the Mac, as well as the first Mac versions of Encore DVD and Audition. Adobe abandoned support for the Mac version of its Premiere video editing software nearly three years ago, following stiff competition from Apple's Final Cut line that eroded Adobe's marketshare on the Mac platform.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
They abandoned Premier before that. It's easy to blame someone else. Adobe could have upgraded and fixed Premier long before Apple brought out Final Cut Pro.

I think it's too late for most people to care whether they do something about it or not.

applefan

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2003
No. Cal.
I'd buy Premier Elements for Mac if they offered it. Considering price and features, I think it fits nice between iMovie and FCE.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
bousozoku said:
They abandoned Premier before that. It's easy to blame someone else. Adobe could have upgraded and fixed Premier long before Apple brought out Final Cut Pro.

I think it's too late for most people to care whether they do something about it or not.

I agree. I will always be open to alternatives but I think that the Apple FC Studio will be pretty hard to compete with. The only benefit here for Adobe is people who will be switching to the Mac from PCs or for studios that need cross platform software.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
dferrara said:
Why don't they focus on, oh, I don't know, UNIVERSAL BINARIES instead of competing with Apple? :rolleyes:
It's possible that Adobe's video applications are made by people who have nothing to do with the Creative Suite.

But yeah, if Wolfram Research could crank out a Universal Binary of Mathematica in a few hours, what's the delay?

Adobe wants to make money. They want people to have an incentive to buy CS3 when it comes out. Maybe there will be compelling reasons to upgrade outside of the UB factor. Most likely there won't be.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
If I recall, it was never Final Cut Pro that got Adobe's hackles up, since it was pretty clear that these two strata of video producers had little overlap.

Rather, it was Apple's introduction of Final Cut Express that was much more of a direct competitor to Premier and prompted Adobe to announce that they were dropping Mac Premier development.

As far as universal binaries, I think that they've said that CS3 will be universal. But while we're writing up a to-do list for Adobe, I think it would be nice for them to come out with a Cocoa version of CS rather then the Carbonized thing they cling to now. :)

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
idea_hamster said:
As far as universal binaries, I think that they've said that CS3 will be universal. But while we're writing up a to-do list for Adobe, I think it would be nice for them to come out with a Cocoa version of CS rather then the Carbonized thing they cling to now. :)
Aren't Universal Binaries written in Cocoa already? I thought that was why Adobe was having a hard time with CS was that they had to rewrite everything in Cocoa. Maybe I am just mis-remembering things.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
kgarner said:
Aren't Universal Binaries written in Cocoa already? I thought that was why Adobe was having a hard time with CS was that they had to rewrite everything in Cocoa. Maybe I am just mis-remembering things.

There's nothing that says that Universal Binaries have to be written in Cocoa. Carbon is just fine.

The problem is that Adobe's applications are barely Carbon-ised. They don't support Carbon events, which is why they run so poorly and take up so many CPU resources when idle. So, basically, they're all System 6 applications patched to run on Mac OS X.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
applefan said:
I'd buy Premier Elements for Mac if they offered it. Considering price and features, I think it fits nice between iMovie and FCE.
Which features would that be? I have used Premiere Pro on my roomate's PC and it was quite powerful, but I don't know much about the Elements version.

Does "Premiere Elements" have mutiple video track capability? That was very handy for me at the time, but I don't know whether I want to shell out $300 for FCE to get it.

"Pro" did not copy and convert any of my video files during the editing phase, (just referencing to them somehow) until the time to export, so each project would take up only a few kB. Very easy on HD. If I am not mistaken, iMovie projects take up much more than that if you use, let's say, mpeg4 files for your clips. How about Premiere Elements?

applefan

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2003
No. Cal.
theBB said:
Which features would that be? I have used Premiere Pro on my roomate's PC and it was quite powerful, but I don't know much about the Elements version.

I have Premiere Elements 1 for Windows, and it seems to have more titles and effects and features in general, but it's not quite as user friendly IMO.

theBB said:
Does "Premiere Elements" have mutiple video track capability? That was very handy for me at the time, but I don't know whether I want to shell out $300 for FCE to get it.

It supports 99 video and 99 audio tracks. It costs $99 as a stand alone or $149 bundled with PS Elements.

theBB said:
"Pro" did not copy and convert any of my video files during the editing phase, (just referencing to them somehow) until the time to export, so each project would take up only a few kB. Very easy on HD. If I am not mistaken, iMovie projects take up much more than that if you use, let's say, mpeg4 files for your clips. How about Premiere Elements?

Elements works the way you've described Pro, but the still uses space. It's just not tied exclusively to the project

Check it out for yourself.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/main.html

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
One thing to consider about Premier Elements for Macintosh--if it happens--is that it may not include a whole lot of the projects that the Windows version contains, just like Photoshop Elements.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
bousozoku said:
One thing to consider about Premier Elements for Macintosh--if it happens--is that it may not include a whole lot of the projects that the Windows version contains, just like Photoshop Elements.

Although the latest Photoshop Elements-4 for Mac seems to have re-introduced the missing pieces of Elements-3, such as file manager (iPhoto) and Photobooks/Calendars and Cards (again iPhoto services).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Danksi said:
Although the latest Photoshop Elements-4 for Mac seems to have re-introduced the missing pieces of Elements-3, such as file manager (iPhoto) and Photobooks/Calendars and Cards (again iPhoto services).

Well, you have to have iPhoto to produce those with version 4.0 on Mac while the Windows version has those.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
applefan said:
I wish I could, but I don't think my XP laptop can handle it and I have not installed XP on my iMac, yet. :)

Thanks for the info though. I am planning to put together a few home videos using the mpeg4 clips from my camera, but I am just afraid each iMovie project will copy the clips and convert them into DV, wasting a ton of space. I would just check a few test sequences to see if it makes sense to use iMovie, but I have to wait until April for the appropriate QT codec to come out in universal format.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
idea_hamster said:
If I recall, it was never Final Cut Pro that got Adobe's hackles up, since it was pretty clear that these two strata of video producers had little overlap.

Rather, it was Apple's introduction of Final Cut Express that was much more of a direct competitor to Premier and prompted Adobe to announce that they were dropping Mac Premier development.

IIRC, both Premiere Pro and FCE came out in 2003 so I don't think the canceling of Premiere on the Mac was in response to FCE. Final Cut Pro pulled away Premiere users away in droves (by the time Adobe axed it only 10% of Premiere users used the Mac version). The two primarily shared the same demographic until about FCP 3.0 and that's when I think Final Cut really started expanding upwards. Premiere was just dog tired by that point and it's biggest selling point was its integration w/AE and PS. You know you have a problem if your programs biggest selling point has nothing to do w/the app itself.

Lethal

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
bousozoku said:
Well, you have to have iPhoto to produce those with version 4.0 on Mac while the Windows version has those.

Are you sure? You certainly had to with version-3 (which is what I have) but according to Adobe's site it now uses it's own browser and Kodak's print services (for books/calendars etc).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Danksi said:
Are you sure? You certainly had to with version-3 (which is what I have) but according to Adobe's site it now uses it's own browser and Kodak's print services (for books/calendars etc).

Version 3.0 had its own browser, too, which wasn't Bridge, but more like the file browser from Photoshop 7. Version 4.0 has Bridge. I've included a screenshot.

Also, I haven't found any projects in PSE but the plug-ins for the web photo gallery, picture package, contact sheet, etc. are still there. I've included a screenshot of the File menu as well.

The Kodak print services are available through Bridge but since I'm not going to sign up for an account, I won't be able to tell you how they work. It's completely unlike PhotoDeluxe where the projects were part of the application, though.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    54 KB · Views: 75
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    222.9 KB · Views: 85

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
LethalWolfe said:
Final Cut Pro pulled away Premiere users away in droves (by the time Adobe axed it only 10% of Premiere users used the Mac version).
Interesting, but if only 5% of users are on Macs, doesn't a 10% share mean that Premier had a larger portion of Mac users than the general market? Isn't that a good thing? I wonder just what the sales proportions of Adobe's other products is.

You know you have a problem if your programs biggest selling point has nothing to do w/the app itself.
Unquestionably.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
idea_hamster said:
Interesting, but if only 5% of users are on Macs, doesn't a 10% share mean that Premier had a larger portion of Mac users than the general market? Isn't that a good thing? I wonder just what the sales proportions of Adobe's other products is.
But their is much more parity (if not a still a solid Mac lead) in the "creative" world (graphics, video/film/TV, music, etc.,) than there is in the general computing population. Before Final Cut Pro Adobe pretty much ruled the roost in prosumer video editing (at the time it was pretty much either $1000 + computer for a prosumer solution or $100,000 for a pro solution as there really wasn't a middle ground before FCP) and I would guess the majority of their sales of Premiere went to the Mac. So going from the majority of sales to just about 10% in only a few years means yer product sucks. :D Which is why Adobe built Premiere Pro from the ground up.

Lethal

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
Rod Rod said:
But yeah, if Wolfram Research could crank out a Universal Binary of Mathematica in a few hours, what's the delay?

Isn't Mathematica an application that is available for something like 10 different platforms? Of course it's easy to port a program that has been written with portability in mind... but something like Photoshop, which is highly optimized for the platform needs a bit more effort (I'm sure Apple wouldn't be happy about a Photoshop Universal Binary version that's significantly slower than the Windows version on a comparable PC ;-).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
weg said:
Isn't Mathematica an application that is available for something like 10 different platforms? Of course it's easy to port a program that has been written with portability in mind... but something like Photoshop, which is highly optimized for the platform needs a bit more effort (I'm sure Apple wouldn't be happy about a Photoshop Universal Binary version that's significantly slower than the Windows version on a comparable PC ;-).

It's true that Mathematica had been re-written at some point for portability and Adobe applications are still stuck in the past after more than 15 years with no more than patches. Believe it or not, developers and managers and professors did talk about writing an application for portability before Adobe was a company. It's just an idea but when they ported their applications to Windows, they might have re-worked them so that they were more portable on both platforms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.