Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I tried to read the article, but couldn't come away with anything as mind blowing as the title. Perhaps it's that Finals-Week state of mind...
Can someone sum up in two lines what's so cool about this, and what the possibilities are? From what I read it sounded like they made a better PDF file...

Tyler Z.

fabsgwu

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Washington, DC
PDF + XTML + Lots of meta-data = Intelligent Document.

That's what I got, though I did trail off towards the middle of the description...

isgoed

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2003
Earendil said:
I tried to read the article, but couldn't come away with anything as mind blowing as the title. Perhaps it's that Finals-Week state of mind...
Can someone sum up in two lines what's so cool about this, and what the possibilities are? From what I read it sounded like they made a better PDF file...

Tyler Z.

I think this kind off document would be usefull in big companies. I used to work at a bank where I needed to delegate invoices. The invoice had a lifecycle of:

central incomming invoices => delegation to departments => send to proper financial directors => sign or deny invoices => possible 2nd sign => go to financial department => include in financial book => pay => archive invoice

I would imagine that if you can make a single electronic document that represents only the required data for each user, this process can be greatly optimized.

space2go

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2004
If you ignore the extreme buzzword bingo score it just says:
Let's do webapplications without HTML and call it 'Intelligent Documents'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.