Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Thinking of getting a stylus for handwritten notes, mind maps + conceptual schematics. Would like a fine tipped one for optimal precision when writing and diagramming, and I am aware that one that gets recommended often is Adonis Jot.

If you have tried this stylus, would you consider it the best one you have used for this type of usage?

I have come across comments that the Adonis Jot
* can be quite noisy and would be unsuitable for use in a meeting or classroom setting.
* can scratch the iPad screen.

Would you agree with these complaints? On a related note, what would you consider to be the best soft-tipped stylus for my intended usage (i.e. the best one that does not have limitations of the Adonis Jot)?

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
I have/have had more than a dozen styluses, including the Bamboo, Maglus (v1 and v2), Architect, Emote, a couple from Dagi, Griffin, and others. I use a stylus both as a student and a teacher.

I bought a Jot, tried it, gave it to a friend.

Basically, it's not a stylus designed for writing. The disc needs to "realign" every time you touch the screen, and that happens a lot more often with writing than with drawing. It also, like you mention, makes a noticeable amount of noise.

On top of that, while it is more accurate, it's not more accurate in any way that matters for writing, if you ask me. Writing with a magnification box is really the only way to write that is viable in my opinion, and the Jot isn't accurate enough to let you stop using that. So, you get all the downsides of it, and its main selling point won't be of much use because it's not more accurate enough.

Think of it like this: A hunting knife is more accurate than a machete, but you still can't do brain surgery with it.

Just my two cents

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I have/have had more than a dozen styluses, including the Bamboo, Maglus (v1 and v2), Architect, Emote, a couple from Dagi, Griffin, and others. I use a stylus both as a student and a teacher.

I bought a Jot, tried it, gave it to a friend.

Basically, it's not a stylus designed for writing. The disc needs to "realign" every time you touch the screen, and that happens a lot more often with writing than with drawing. It also, like you mention, makes a noticeable amount of noise.

On top of that, while it is more accurate, it's not more accurate in any way that matters for writing, if you ask me. Writing with a magnification box is really the only way to write that is viable in my opinion, and the Jot isn't accurate enough to let you stop using that. So, you get all the downsides of it, and its main selling point won't be of much use because it's not more accurate enough.

Think of it like this: A hunting knife is more accurate than a machete, but you still can't do brain surgery with it.

Just my two cents

Thanks. So which is your stylus of choice for writing?

THX10538

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
I've been going back and forth between the Maglus and Bamboo, but ever since I moved to the iPad mini the Maglus (v2) has been my daily driver.

Does the Magnet in the Maglus stick to the magnets in the upper corners of the Mini well? I figure half of the stylus would stick off the side of the device. Does it stick strongly to the smart-cover magnets on the side?

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
Does the Magnet in the Maglus stick to the magnets in the upper corners of the Mini well? I figure half of the stylus would stick off the side of the device. Does it stick strongly to the smart-cover magnets on the side?

The magnets in the mini's Smart Cover are differently placed than on the full-size iPad, resulting in the Maglus sticking to a slightly awkward position. It works, just not as well as on the larger Smart Cover. It's not at all secure when stuck to the side (with the Smart Cover on)

ebbygoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
My opinion

Personally I love my Jot stylus (I have the Jot Mini). It is really great for me when I am annotating textbooks.
However, as above, the stylus can scratch the screen if it gets dirt or something on the disk (can be resolved by a quick rub of the finger over the stylus before use) and the other problem with it is the disk itself can get lost really easy. I dropped it accidentally on a stairway on the way to one of my classes and somehow I managed to find it LOL.

ikev85

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2012
I have a Jot Pro... however I am not artistic nor do I write notes (lefty).

IMO the digitizer on the iPad is not detailed enough for this kind of activity. It isn't a Wacom tablet.

I can buy a bluetooth keyboard and type much faster than I'd write anything out.

I've tried to sketch a few things but the digitizer just isn't hi res enough.

All of that being said the Jot Pro is beautiful from a hardware perspective.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Would like a fine tipped one for optimal precision when writing and diagramming, and I am aware that one that gets recommended often is Adonis Jot.
Gosmart seems to be as well from what I've seen in the stylus threads.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Canada
I feel as though the Adonit Jot Pro is a great stylus for anything you can think of except tapping. Writing, drawing, painting I've found to be very fun and easy with this stylus.
The only design flaw I've found is that the disc and the tip are very loose and loose contact frequently, so when you draw a straight line it will break. I fixed this by putting a very small amount of Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste inside the joint. Because it has silver particles which conduct electricity the connection is never broken and the joint itself is a little bit stiffer, or rather it won't flop around.

As long as I don't loose this stylus or anything then I'll be using it for everything. I've found that the app Procreate mixed with the Jot Pro is a great pairing, I haven't had to use a pen and paper for sketching in awhile, it makes the transference of the line art to PS a lot easier.

Edit: If you get this stylus, make sure you get a good screen protector, I recommend the Zagg Invisishield HD, but anything that is guaranteed HD and smooth works awesome, I know there are a bunch of tempered glass shields that are uber smooth and strong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.