Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
Hi,

concerning ADP I have to active a recovery key and or contact.

Don‘t what‘s the most secure and convenient.

What are you using? I do travel a lot and think about ‘not‘ using a key because I always have to have the key with me - but if my iOS device is lost/stolen/broken - the stored recovery key (within a password manager) will also be lost.

So maybe it would be better to have a contact, or even both?

What do you choose and why?

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
No one of you thinking about what to choose in that case? Isn't it a very common point everyone has to think about - or am I wrong?

Cunir

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2021
I know it's not the most secure thing to do, but I keep a screenshot of the recovery key in my photos, in the password protected hidden folder. At least then you can access it at icloud on the web.

I figure that if somebody unscrupulous has managed to get into icloud then they can already take over your account anyway.

And I'd rather do it like that than trust a contact.

Last edited:

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
Understand. But what if you do not have access to your iCloud library? Photo library is locked when you need an account recovery, or am I wrong?

Cunir

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2021
you know what, you're right. I'm being a bit dim there. It's a good place to keep it until you actually need it, then it's the worst place. I've scrapped that idea now

Reactions: bsmr

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
Yes - I think an encrypted cloud backup (another provider, or email provider) does solve this issue. No one knows, what‘s the point of those codes if you don‘t give them a name.

So you do have them with you if you need them. You only need to know the password of the second provider (mail and/or cloud).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.