Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe Bangle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2023
I've started getting ads now whenever I play a radio station on the HomePod mini. It seems Apple Music hands it to TuneIn and they insert an ad before play. It this new? I absolutely hate it, and I'm paying for this service.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Apple Music itself does not have any ads. Third party or local radio stations may have ads though...which makes sense since those are free and don't require an Apple Music subscription to listen to those. Plus, Apple can't control what they're streaming.

You can go to your 'Recently Played' list under 'Radio' in the Music app to see what station was playing. Sounds like you may have already done that and saw it was TuneIn. If it was a station hosted by Apple Music, then there shouldn't have been any ads.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Joe Bangle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2023
Apple Music itself does not have any ads. Third party or local radio stations may have ads though...which makes sense since those are free and don't require an Apple Music subscription to listen to those. Plus, Apple can't control what they're streaming.

You can go to your 'Recently Played' list under 'Radio' in the Music app to see what station was playing. Sounds like you may have already done that and saw it was TuneIn. If it was a station hosted by Apple Music, then there shouldn't have been any ads.
Thanks, yeah. The radio stations I’m thinking of, e.g. Radio Swiss Jazz, don’t run ads, ever. They may not be hosted by Apple, but Siri, the Home app and Apple Music all hand over to TuneIn to access them and there doesn’t seem to be an alternative. It’s really cheap and shabby of Apple to allow TuneIn to insert ads on a paid service. Shameful.

DannyBoyNYC

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
Agreed. This is ludicrous. My station - WFMU - isn't playing ads but chimes in with the TuneIn 2 second jingle every few minutes. Just started a week ago.

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
It does the same for me too - if I ask Siri to play Heart 80s it defaults to via TuneIn and plays the jingle (even though Heart 80s also exists on AM w/out using TuneIn).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.