Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
All my devices are updated to the latest macOS/iOS versions, but I get an error that my Windows laptop is preventing the upgrade. The only thing that is running on Windows are the two new preview apps - Apple TV and Apple Music. I dont care much for those apps on my work Windows laptop, but I would occasionally like to use them. Does this mean, that if I remove my Windows laptop from my device list and enable Advanced Data Protection, I would no longer be able to log into those apps on my Windows system? Does anyone have any experience with that?

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
What version of iCloud for Windows do you have installed?

You need 14.1 to turn on Advanced Data Protection.

The other option is to remove your Windows PC from the device list.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
What version of iCloud for Windows do you have installed?

You need 14.1 to turn on Advanced Data Protection.

The other option is to remove your Windows PC from the device list.
so iCloud for Windows is required even though I have no need for it and only want to use either Apple Music app or Apple TV app? How is this then handled with someone who has a smart TV and only wants to use Apple TV app on the smart TV platform?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
so iCloud for Windows is required even though I have no need for it...
That doesn't seem to be Apple's opinion. Apple Music and TV sync to other devices and the only way to properly manage iCloud on Windows is with iCloud for Windows.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
so iCloud for Windows is required even though I have no need for it and only want to use either Apple Music app or Apple TV app? How is this then handled with someone who has a smart TV and only wants to use Apple TV app on the smart TV platform?

My Android TV and Xbox One is being ignored. It also didn’t mind my old Apple TV 3 when I enabled it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.