Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
While I initially created a thread here on MacRumors with the problem I was experiencing before I figured out that Advanced Data Protection was causing it, my ongoing efforts at fixing this have been unsuccessful, so I wanted to post a proper, dedicated thread for visibility and reference for others who may find this in the future.

In short, I’ve noticed that for me, enabling ADP “breaks” Safari sync of bookmarks/favorites across macOS and iOS devices. While tabs open on other devices continue to sync, the bookmarks do not.

I have seen multiple threads on third-party software sites (example), Reddit (example), and Apple Discussions (example) detailing the same with no apparent reliable fixes.

I have already discussed this with Apple Support which was able to confirm it was an ADP-related issue in my particular case but without solution, shy of providing logged data sessions for troubleshooting.

Troubleshooting that has already been done:
  • Yes, all devices are on the same Apple ID
  • Yes, all devices are on the most updated software
  • Easily replicated: if I disable ADP, Safari sync works as expected. If I enable ADP with no other changes, it does not
  • Multiple device restarts across all devices
  • Enabling ADP from different devices, in the unexpected event this changes anything (it doesn’t)
  • Multiple toggling of the “Safari” sync option within iCloud settings, both before and after enabling ADP
  • Manual deletion of plist files on select devices to attempt to “force” sync on reboot
  • Router reboot
  • Persistence of issue across wireless networks (e.g., home WiFi versus cellular network)
  • Checking whether other data types are effected (i.e., photos and notes continue to sync with ADP; contacts, though I realize are not E2EE even with ADP, also continue to sync)
Any thoughts? Appreciate any help or insight.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
To add: the most recent software updates from January 22 (iOS 17.3 and macOS Ventura/Sonoma 13.6.4/14.3) don't address this issue.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Still working with Apple (no ETA per senior advisory staff) but removing Ventura devices from Apple ID and all of the above on most recent point revisions continues to not address this.

Curious if anyone could chime in with any issues they may have experienced with ADP interfering with Safari bookmark sync (or even if it works as intended, or anything you had to do to make it work as intended while also using ADP).

bob_zz123

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2017
I don't have a solution for the issue you are reporting, but just as a data point, it works absolutely fine for me on all my devies with Advanced Data Protection enabled, bookmark syncing is absolutely perfect and I didn't have to do anything special. It just works - the Apple way! :)

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Do you have any other older devices registered to your account that no longer receive software updates? I can't think this would be an issue anyway. If more advanced stuff like real-time tab syncing still works, then bookmarks should certainly be working too on that account.

I think it's one of those you'll have to pray someone at Apple can solve, because it's probably a problem on their end that affects a small number of users with a similar ID/profile configuration. The fact you've pulled out other people with a similar issue certainly points to some weird bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.