Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mim

macrumors 6502
Re: sizing things up...

Originally posted by Panther
So it feels like it must be a tablet... possibly the uber-remote... Perhaps Panther will make Mail and so on Rendezvous-enabled, and this things is something like the "Mira" tablet that allows you to remotely access/control your PC...

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/mira_preview.asp

I think this is akmost exactly what it will be. I also think that wireless display will be an option, if not built in to all the Apple studio displays (with rumors now that they are under revision) - except the small tablet enclosue will have a bit of pda/ipod functionality too, so it can be either a secondary screen/remote device or carried out of range to be a pda type computer.

Lets face it, if Microsoft are >thinking< about this, Apple has already done it. We're just waiting for it to be released now.

Maybe this superdock will not just be for the tablet, but also for all the displays....?

a.

Panther

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
Austin, TX
Re: Re: sizing things up...

Originally posted by mim
Maybe this superdock will not just be for the tablet, but also for all the displays....?
As I understand it there are a few complaints about Mira...

• 802.11 is still a pain to set up ... I'm assuming any such Apple device would be Bluetooth based (given that it was intended for home use in the first place, and the newer systems have it built in)
  • Folks don't want to lumber a 17" tablet (17" now becoming the bottom end of the LCD flatpanel market) around with the house ... The 5x7" dimensions proposed here are much closer to an ideal here ... large enough to be useful, but not so big as to be awkward to carry/use
  • Mira relies on Remote Desktop Connection (aka Terminal Services), which is only in XP Professional (not in XP Home that most home systems ship with) ... Again not a problem Apple has.
Its also interesting that a new version of iSync is in the works ... I wonder if they would look to use that to sync contact, calendar, email etc. to this "tablet" as they do to the iPod today (but over Bluetooth, which... hmm... iSync already supports)

On this last point... check this out:
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/isync11.html
"FusionOne's Web site also said that it was working with Apple to develop over-the-air synchronization services for Mac users, and that Apple would make an announcement soon. The blurb was removed and the company denied that it was ever on its site, but cached pages confirmed the news."

"over-the-air" synchronization to what?

On 5/13 ThinkSecret posted an update stating that the over-the-air thing isn't in this upcoming release... That might mean the tablet/dock thing is further out than the end of May... or it might mean it isn't Mac-to-Mac syncing per se, but Mac-to-tablet ...

OK, thats me all guessed-out :D

Panther

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
Austin, TX
So the dock must be...

I'm guessing the dock is a much simpler affair...

Allowing it to be remote controlled from the "uber remote" tablet (say, via Bluetooth) would be neat.

I'd like to see something like the new TiVo setup that allowed me to stream my iTunes songs to my stereo. At 1mbps, Bluetooth is certainly fast enough to stream a 192kbps MP3/AAC file. Of course, if you had the iPod this would be kind of superfluous...

On the other hand, the fact that this so-called "dock" supposedly has file management capabilities makes me wonder if it can play MP3/AAC files without the iPod being there...

At that point it sounds more like a non-portable iPod (i.e. not a dock at all, but a standalone music player), so you'd still be forking out several hundred US$ on it :(

And the tablet thing would doubtless add many hundred more... The Philips Pronto Pro was almost US$1000 when it first came out :( :(

If this is "all" it is, then I don't know... Dell and Gateway (amongst others) had non-portable MP3 jukebox products that connected to your stereo, neither or which really caught the public's attention... Still, with Apple's ability to nail the ergonomics and make the software super-sexy, perhaps this will work out for them...

astray

macrumors member
May 9, 2003
uk
updated info..

Macwhispers updatted their info today:

Macwhispers Advance iPod Dock Report

http://www.Macwhispers.com reports:

Details Emerge On Coming iPod Super Docks

Continued investigation on the previously reported upscale iPod docking product has painted a fairly detailed picture of not one, but two upcoming products. One is a mild step up from the basic dock, with more I/O features for integrating into a home stereo system; the other is much, much more than that.

Both of the new advanced 'Pod docks are slated for near-term production, and are to be released concurrently with a host of updates in v3.0 of the iPod software, and about the time that Apple unveils its iTunes Music Store for Windows, later in 2003.

The first product we will see released is a white plastic dock, physically similar to the stock iPod dock, but with stereo RCA jacks on the back, and an IR remote "eye" on the front. A small, white plastic IR handheld remote will be included that provides not only basic transport functions not handled by the stock wired remote, but also gives forward/back controls for album, chapter, and playlist, as well as adds a mute control. We have not been able to confirm whether the remote will include an LCD display, but this has been suggested as possible by one unproven OEM source.

The second dock product, possibly released at the same time as the "hi-fi dock," will include all of the above mentioned features, plus will add recording and playback of line input or microphone level stereo audio, as well as Rendezvous-enabled 802.11G Airport networking capability. This much we have verified with a high degree of confidence. Beyond these features, we have, again, an unproven OEM source telling us that that this "network dock" will go "well beyond" these core features in a way that "seamlessly integrates the iPod into both the home stereo system and the home LAN." We consider one suggested feature to be farfetched, and offer it here only as a claim that has been made to us: this particular dock is said to be able to surf and control the iTunes Music Store as a standalone client, over an Airport or Ethernet-based shared internet connection to a Mac or PC.

To clarify this report, we have established the reality of two upcoming upscale iPod docks from Apple. One adds RCA jacks and an IR remote for fairly advanced iPod remote control. The other adds some degree of on-board processing capability, Rendezvous-enabled Airport networking, and stereo audio recording. Any more than these points are offered more in the sense of informative speculation, until such time as we have more history established with the particular source of these more advanced claims.

Panther

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
Austin, TX
Two different kinds of "advanced dock"... I dunno ... Apple has always been fairly good about making it clear what one product is for vs another. Witness how they have 2 iBooks (cheap and cheerful) and 3 PowerBooks (bells and whistles), then compare that to all the different notebooks someone like Dell sells.

At the end of the day, the first one described here is really little more than the dock we have today. If you have a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable you could hook up to your hifi already. And while the remote is ok, its not a revolutionary upgrade.

The second one is more interesting...

>> will add recording and playback of line input or microphone level stereo audio

That sounds like it might allow you to rip MP3/AAC from your regular CD player (if you fed that via this dock).

I read on another forum that there was talk that this advanced dock would be built around a Sony PS2, giving you the CD/DVD playback of the PS2, plus these recording capabilities, plus of course TV connectivity ... oh and all of the PS2 games back-catalog ...

http://www.pstheme.com/cgi-bin/think/ikonboard.cgi?s=3ec303185effffff;act=ST;f=2;t=869

PS2 + Apple know-how + iTune Music Store ... that would be an Apple Media Center in anyones book.

Wombatronic

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2003
Re: Re: Re: sizing things up...

"over-the-air" synchronization to what?

It is for cell phones. Nothing to do with tablets any more than toasters.

Panther

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
Austin, TX
Re: Re: Re: Re: sizing things up...

Originally posted by Wombatronic
It is for cell phones. Nothing to do with tablets any more than toasters.
Seems strange in that case that they would both to pull that part of the announcement from the website... I mean, iSync does over-the-air to Bluetooth cell phones already, so whats the big deal.

It just looks a lot like they said something they shouldn't, and Apple leaned on them... Same thing happened with SanDisk who accidentally announced a FW800 drive a few days before MWSF, then quickly pulled it again.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sizing things up...

Seems strange in that case that they would both to pull that part of the announcement from the website... I mean, iSync does over-the-air to Bluetooth cell phones already, so whats the big deal.

It just looks a lot like they said something they shouldn't, and Apple leaned on them... Same thing happened with SanDisk who accidentally announced a FW800 drive a few days before MWSF, then quickly pulled it again.

apple does that a lot more ofte than that. they can get the president to be quiet about the 970 chip.

not saying that george bush knows anything;)

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Re: why not just use itrip?

Originally posted by terry29
am i the only one who doesnt quite understand why the itrip isnt the solution for this problem? i mean, that would make ipod the remote really. why would you shell out more money for an advanced dock when you can just buy the itrip for $25? is the quality bad or something?

That just adds wireless transmitting... Is that all folks are suggesting this vapordock rumor is doing? Not much of a rumor then.

I don't think bluetooth has the bandwidth, but I would like to see something the size and form of the iTrip that had more range.

Regarding a dock, I would want a enhanced dock to allow RECORDING.

I also think that the iPod could be an ideal storage medium for a tablet.

Or someone should make a small boombox that takes the ipod... it could fold into a brick and the speakers could be separated, and could run on battery car adapter or AC.

Panther

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
Austin, TX
Re: Re: why not just use itrip?

Originally posted by Wry Cooter
That just adds wireless transmitting... Is that all folks are suggesting this vapordock rumor is doing? Not much of a rumor then.

I don't think bluetooth has the bandwidth, but I would like to see something the size and form of the iTrip that had more range.
Bluetooth will run at 1mbps. As assuming most MP3/AAC files are encoded at 128-256kbps that would still leave a lot of bandwidth to spare.

I just wondered about the streaming given that iTunes lets you share your music catalog by streaming to other Macs over Rendezvous... The iPod/uber-Dock thing just seemed to close the loop (by letting your stereo play them back too)

I agree it would be cool to be able to record too, but that would require a *lot* more bandwidth if you were to use PCM ("raw" CD format, which requires around 32mbps). I'm reasonably sure the iPod's CPU (if you can even call it that) doesn't have the minerals to be able to encode in real-time (decoding is a lot less CPU intensive)

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Re: Re: Re: why not just use itrip?

I agree it would be cool to be able to record too, but that would require a *lot* more bandwidth if you were to use PCM ("raw" CD format, which requires around 32mbps). I'm reasonably sure the iPod's CPU (if you can even call it that) doesn't have the minerals to be able to encode in real-time (decoding is a lot less CPU intensive)

I have heard a lot about the abilities of the chip inside present iPods, without having anyone nail down the details, from being able to encode toi MP3 on the fly, to merely being able to digitize sound as AIFF. We KNOW it can record 6 second soundbites in mono, which is probably not all it can do.

The problem even if it could only digitize to AIFF at best, would be that it would be a lot more drive and battery intensive. A iPod that would usually go for ten hours, would last closer to one hour on a charge if recording continously, because the files filling the RAM buffer are ten times as large, and the disk would have to spin that much more often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.