Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haldoox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2021
Moving to a new home and setting up a new network (tri-band WiFi 6). I am considering an Asus TX8. What I can see it is a top option in terms of options and speed, both for router and satellites. However, it doesn’t have HomeKit. Checking options like eero and linksys they both fall short on the previous factors. Whole customization is less important to me, speed is. That said, I have not used a HomeKit WiFi system and am planning to add locks and a few other things.
So, how much value would you assign HomeKit enabled WiFi? Would you trade 30-40% of your max speed for HomeKit?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I’ve had the eero Pro before HomeKit router support and enabled it when it was released. I discovered that some devices (particularly Wemo Mini smart plugs and the Ecobee 3 lite but my Ecobee Smart Thermostats work fine) are finicky when “Restrict to Home” or “Automatic” is selected. In other words, they have problems connecting back to HomeKit after a network reboot or device reboot. I’ve turned the feature off because I felt it may be causing more annoyance than good. Anyways, one of the appeals of HomeKit and the reason why there are so many fewer devices available in comparison to Alexa and Google is the Apple security. Therefore, HomeKit Enabled Routers is probably unnecessary. My HomeKit setup worked perfectly fine pre HomeKit Enabled Routers and I had numerous devices.

I’d go with more speed, but what the hell do I know…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.