Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StephanieMedlock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2019
If anyone wondering what are the advantages of iOS, why would someone choose iOS iPhone over Android smartphone, here are some reasons.
But first of all:
I don't wanna say that Android is bad in any way - it's a good OS and deserves its a success.
All I can say are my personal pros from iOS over Android.

Here we go:
1.) Privacy. -every Google product (doesn't matter how great it is) is made to generate money from user data.
2.) Software support. -iPhones/iPads get support up to you 5years. Android for around 18 months.
3.) Security updates. -iPhones always get their patches directly pushed from Apple, for Android, it depends (if they get some) on the hardware maker.
4.) Power management. -iOS is way more energy efficient than Android.
5.) Quality software integration. For OS itself and 3rd party apps.
6.) Way less fragmentation over time.
7.) iOS backup/restore options in combination with iTunes.
8.) Hardware is from ground up designed for iOS.
-which makes iPhones that efficient and fast.
9.) Apple has a stricter quality control over apps and their developers.
10.) How seamlessly it works with other Apple products.

So, these were my PERSONAL points on why I use iOS over Android.

Reactions: Abazigal

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Sadly, I can see where this thread is heading. I can hear the sad pathetic “certain group of the Internet” (from both sides) charging on down from here...

But just to keep this on track, I am really glad both exist. Competition is always good for the consumer. And, without question, there are pros and cons for both.

...Edited to remove the word fanboys...instant suspension for using that word. The mods don’t like it when used in a negative connotation.

Last edited:

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Apple quality control lol

Have you used iOS in the last 6 months?

Indeed. It really has been a period of god-awful software from them. It’s strange in my opinion, as they are one of the few companies that have literally unlimited resources yet they still throw out some of the most buggy software purportedly as full releases. Of course the software will get there but who knows how long it will take…

Lyrca

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
France
For me I just prefer the Apple ecosystem since it blends in nicely with my Mac.

I haven't used Android in a couple of years and seeing the features here and there I get it that some prefer it.

In the end to each his own.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Android is awesome in its own separate ways. To me an iPhone is just built more solid then android devices..feels more solid. I have used android a couple times and it’s not a horrible operatic system. And the phones they have for it aren’t too bad either.

But you forgot customer service on your list. Apple hands down wins that over Samsung. That’s also one of the reasons I came back to the iPhone after the s8+, and one of the reasons I stay with the iPhone.
I never have understood people and their need to slam other devices and operating systems. Every one is different and some like iOS better some like android better. Just because I prefer one over the other doesn’t mean it’s superior. Use what you like.

Also, can’t compare and iPhone to android. iPhone is a device, android is an operating system.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I use both platforms day in day out, so I personally know the benefits of each platform for me.
As for handsets, in the end, it boils down to price.
At its price point, iPhone wins out from a similarly priced Android simply because of support (from OS support to customer service). As such, I don't see the value of Android phones with iPhone prices (like Samsung flagships and Google's Pixel phones). I mean seriously, if you are charging Apple prices, you better deliver the same level of support. But they don't.

Now, for bang for the buck Chinese Android phones, they are great, and I can forgive their less than ideal support, simply because they are not charging you an arm and a leg like Samsung and Google. Huawei/Honor, Xiaomi, Realme, etc have great selections and I have/had some of those phones.

The rest, such as feature sets and spesc, are all subjective and icing on the cake. These are tools, and I use the tools that work for myself, be it an iPhone or an Android phone. So when a person is arguing that an Android phone is better than an iPhone because of a specification is pointless in my book, as in the end, it boils down to the support I get for the price as I stated above. Samsung can claim anything including the kitchen sink on their Galaxy S, I won't bite since I can spend the same amount of money for an iPhone and I'll get better and longer support. Meanwhile, I'd rather get a cheap xiaomi for my Android needs as it can run the same apps as those expensive Samsung without breaking the bank.

lyunmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Customer service if anything happens and the cameras are the two best advantages in my opinion. Video recording and the apps that use the camera are so much more optimized. Battery life is questionable I think as my family members and co workers complain about it all the time whenever we compare devices (I have a Galaxy S10+). I bought an iPad Pro for photo editing so I like both operating systems pretty evenly.

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2019
In 9 years of having many droid devices, I've had to send one device to a samsung service centre once. Can we assume that this amazing apple customer service is rated that highly because of the mass ammount of times apple owners actually have to use it for complaints about dodgy hardware... if the network of shops didnt exist. Apple loyalty would drop through the floor over nite. I've heard tale of friends swopping iPhones over 4 and 5 times, but still bigging up apple quality.. really? Just because its swopped for a new one time after time, doesn't excuse the poor quality...

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
In 9 years of having many droid devices, I've had to send one device to a samsung service centre once. Can we assume that this amazing apple customer service is rated that highly because of the mass ammount of times apple owners actually have to use it for complaints about dodgy hardware... if the network of shops didnt exist. Apple loyalty would drop through the floor over nite. I've heard tale of friends swopping iPhones over 4 and 5 times, but still bigging up apple quality.. really? Just because its swopped for a new one time after time, doesn't excuse the poor quality...
Sorry, but phone breaks. You're in an Apple-focused forum, so obviously you will see more iPhone users having issues with their phones.

I have various phones broke on me.
Sony Xperia Z1: power issues (boot loop and charging problems)
HTC One M7: battery swollen
Samsung Galaxy S4 zoom: SIM slot issues.
Now let's talk about support. All of those phones were considered to be their flagships. I went to Sony and HTC service centers (not a 3rd party authorized service center, but the actual Sony and HTC service centers). Sony didn't even want to look at my phone simply because the specific SKU of my model is not on their list. HTC looked at my phone, but won't offer any repairs, even when I said I was willing to pay for it. They told me to just go to a 3rd party shop, and they would only take the phone for recycling (for free). For Samsung, I called Samsung USA (as I was in the US at that time), and they said they do not support unlocked devices, and won't help me (they did not even refer me to anywhere, they simply refused support, albeit politely).

In contrast, I have replaced the battery of my Verizon iPhone 5 in Japan, and my Japanese iPhone 6s in Singapore and Australia.

So, if I were to pay for a premium price, I'll go with Apple anytime. Why pay premium for Android from the likes of Samsung when I can get a much cheaper Xiaomi/Realme phones? It's not like I get any better support nor experience, and they run the same Android apps.

Reactions: Garen

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Best things about iPhone .......

Accessories, like the Apple Watch and AirPods.
Full encrypted backups.
Continuity with my MBP and iPad.
Still has the best stand-by battery life. (nowadays, not by much).
Mute/Silent physical toggle.
Face ID is the best face recognition.
Better exclusive apps.
Best resale value.
Best support (although, it's not as good as it used to be). At least in the USA.
And a several other little things, like showing headset battery in status bar, tap to top, and etc.

Best things about Android Phones .......

EVERYTHING ELSE!!!!!

And you don't have to deal with a ton of minor annoyances.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Best things about iPhone .......

Accessories, like the Apple Watch and AirPods.
Full encrypted backups.
Continuity with my MBP and iPad.
Still has the best stand-by battery life. (nowadays, not by much).
Mute/Silent physical toggle.
Face ID is the best face recognition.
Better exclusive apps.
Best resale value.
Best support (although, it's not as good as it used to be). At least in the USA.
And a several other little things, like showing headset battery in status bar, tap to top, and etc.

Best things about Android Phones .......

EVERYTHING ELSE!!!!!

And you don't have to deal with a ton of minor annoyances.
Very well said!

Reactions: Garen

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
These are excellent points. I am a Mac user with an Android phone.

I prefer the customizability and flexibility of the OS on Android, particularly with real live wallpapers, home screen layouts, app drawers, launchers, file management, flexible file transfer solutions, and Google Maps satellite tiles as the default instead of Apple Maps satellite maps tiles (this is important to me but not to many others).

Also a headphone jack and no notch on a 2019 device, not to mention price. I basically had to say, which set of criteria matters more to me, and Android won.

I respect Apple's privacy, SoC design, cameras, fluidity of OS and support, etc. But I don't like how iOS limits options and basically has a "there are many ways to do things but we decided what the best one is for you" approach to settings and layouts. And I don't care for iCloud either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.