Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I really hate sites that automatically play movies with sound when I go to them.
Any site that plays annoying music (often midi) or loud sounds automatically when I go to them is likely to steer me away.

I thought Apple was smarter than that, but currently they have advertisements that automatically play with sound. I like the advertisements that they have placed on CNN, as they don’t play with sound automatically.

Pro or con- Give Apple a quick bit of feed back here through their website.

Rarely do I get so pissed off, but for some reason this rubs me the wrong way. So I figured I could see what the Mac Rumors people think about this, and perhaps, if anybody else was ticked off, you too could tell Apple.

Correct me if I am wrong.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I changed my home page from Apple.com about a week ago for that very reason, but I can't blame them.

Looking forward to seeing a new Mac Pro up there...

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I don't like that, either. Also, even more annoying for me, is ESPN.com, which plays video automatically, as well. I discovered today that I could Adblock the ESPN Motion thingy. I wonder if that would work for the Apple.com homepage, without screwing up future front pages...

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
I hate that freaking page. I literally can't stand it. Usually when websites play music automatically I immediately go back. I've rebookmared apple so it now opens the apple store because I cannot deal with the front page.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I agree, why a commercial at the site now anyways? whats the point since your are there allready? annoying. Plus Apples commercials kind of suck now days.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Yes, no uninvited noise when I arrive at a web page, please. I often hit the mute button as soon as I hit such a page, but pages with videos that start are also wasting bandwidth and slowing down my system whether I'm interested in their movie or not. Stop that! Bad webmaster! :rolls up newspaper:

Sometimes I forget to unmute after stumbling onto an "auto-noise" site, and then I later miss something I did want to hear, like a chat invitation, until I happen to notice the sound is muted. Rather than blame myself for forgetting to unmute, I prefer to blame the site that made me mute in the first place.

Johnny Rico

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2005
Dont Hurt Me said:
..whats the point since your are there allready? annoying.
Kind of reminds me of how the "manual" that came with os x.1 was an advertising pamphlet. I was like, I already bought the damn thing thanks, you don't have to try to sell it to me again.
Apple continues to disagree however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.