Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I have an opportunity to pick up a PowerBook G3 (266MHz PDQ) in good condition with charger for around 60 bucks. I'd like a PB G3 just to collect, but also because it's a handy interface between really old serial based Macs and more modern Ethernet capable ones. My PM8600 already does this, but portability could be useful.

From what I can see, this looks like the last PBG3 with old world style ports and connectivity. Am I right that the Lombard and Pismo lack some of these old fashioned features?

I'm wondering if this is the best one to get in this regard? Are there any famous models to avoid here? I'm not as knowledgeable about PMG3's as other Mac lines. Any expert advice would be welcome!

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
if you want a bridge laptop then yeah a 266Mhz PDQ is a very good shout :) (especially as you can still have your "cake and eat it too" by adding USB or wifi via the cardbus slots :) )

anything later wont have Serial ports etc, but as for best PowerBook G3 in terms of fastest speed etc that would of course be a Pismo, but thats a new world machine with no legacy ports

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
if you want a bridge laptop then yeah a 266Mhz PDQ is a very good shout :) (especially as you can still have your "cake and eat it too" by adding USB or wifi via the cardbus slots :) )

anything later wont have Serial ports etc, but as for best PowerBook G3 in terms of fastest speed etc that would of course be a Pismo, but thats a new world machine with no legacy ports

Great, I think the PDQ might be exactly what I'm looking for then! I already have my share of new world PPC Laptops with my iBook G3 and DLSD. Would be nice if it had USB by default too, but neither did my PM8600. A PCI card easily solved that. But those built in serial ports are a must have.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Great, I think the PDQ might be exactly what I'm looking for then! I already have my share of new world PPC Laptops with my iBook G3 and DLSD. Would be nice if it had USB by default too, but neither did my PM8600. A PCI card easily solved that. But those built in serial ports are a must have.
I'm pretty sure the PDQ has an expansion slot as well for PCMCIA based cards. I've got a USB 2.0 card in my Pismo. I have a firewire one as well but the Pismo already has FW (I bought that for a thinkpad). My point is if you need one, they do exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.