Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJ Dorschel

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2019
Berlin
A friend and I are interested in starting a podcast/videocast and she got a Blue Yeti. I have never done it before and have been checking out the Blue Yeticaster Pro as I have 3 5K displays and a large desk - the arm would be perfect. Currently running Catalina as I have Big Sur on a laptop and I know compatibility is an issue for a lot of apps and media effects still.

Aside from the Blue Yeti, what are some good mics on the market? Price range from $150-300USD.

CJ Dorschel

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2019
Berlin
What you want but in software look no further and most podcasters seem to love Loopback to route audio all over to any application on your Mac!
Thanks! I’ll check it out.

Haven’t had much time to review Mic’s but the Blue Yeti seems to be a solid one. I did read that Logitech bought the company last year which makes me hesitate a bit as usually big changes come with such an acquisition.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

Haven’t had much time to review Mic’s but the Blue Yeti seems to be a solid one. I did read that Logitech bought the company last year which makes me hesitate a bit as usually big changes come with such an acquisition.

Yea that’s what us old audio guys called a condenser mic! You would have better invest in a Maccie mixing boards if you planning live audio in future!

MacMeHappy

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
If the plan is to record with two USB microphones at once, on the same computer, you may have challenges. There is a way of achieving this on Mac OS, take a look at this guide.

As to reasonable USB mics, take a look at the Shure MV7, Samson Q2U or the Rode Podcaster. The Shure and Samson are dual USB and XLR, which gives you future options to use them with an external audio interface.

A new entrant to the market is the Presonus Revelator, which looks interesting.

All of the above should cost under $300.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

Be careful using the Blue Yeti sense it use a ‘keck” plugin and now in current M1 World users are reporting the Blue Yeti will work sense the Mac OS on M1z don’t use the ‘keck’ plugins anymore! So consider getting a good condenser mic!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.