Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Hi all, my wife is getting a new M1 MBP to replace her ageing 12" Retina MacBook. She's using an Apple AV adaptor at the moment to run into the Dell monitor over HDMI and this adaptor also connects to a USB-C hub.
I'm confused about the whole Thunderbolt/USB-C thing and at the moment I think I might need a Thunderbolt to DP or Mini-DP.
We'd use one port on the mAc for display and the other port to go to the USB Hub.
Can anyone confirm thatches is the best way to proceed please?
Thanks in advance.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi all, my wife is getting a new M1 MBP to replace her ageing 12" Retina MacBook. She's using an Apple AV adaptor at the moment to run into the Dell monitor over HDMI and this adaptor also connects to a USB-C hub.
I'm confused about the whole Thunderbolt/USB-C thing and at the moment I think I might need a Thunderbolt to DP or Mini-DP.
We'd use one port on the mAc for display and the other port to go to the USB Hub.
Can anyone confirm thatches is the best way to proceed please?
Thanks in advance.
The earliest version of the Apple USB-C AV adapter didn't support a full 4k at 60Hz, but the current one does. Unfortunately the two versions look exactly the same. Try the existing adapter and if you don't get full resolution, I'd just buy a new one. You need a USB-C adapter, not a Thunderbolt one, and USB-C to HDMI adapters are also inexpensive.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Thanks. Understood regarding the USB rather than Thunderbolt. Any advantage switching to DP over HDMI though?
I found this on Amazon which would allow me to also connect my 2105 MBP using the same cable into the monitor.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Thanks. Understood regarding the USB rather than Thunderbolt. Any advantage switching to DP over HDMI though?
I found this on Amazon which would allow me to also connect my 2105 MBP using the same cable into the monitor.
If you have the option to use DP vs HDMI, do. Never use HDMI unless you have no other choice.

mike.a

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
G'day Dave, how did you go? Did you end up using a USB-C (Mac side) to DP/mDP (P2415Q side) cable successfully?

Like you, I have an M1 MBP and a Dell P2415Q I wish to connect, and trying to figure out which option has the higher chance of successful connection:
* Dell says displays purchased after February 2016 (Version A03) have HDMI 2.0 capability. I bought mine in July 2015... and yet is marked Rev A03 and I can follow all its advice on their support page to enable it.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Hi Mike, I ended up using a USC-C to full size DP connector. Works fine. I also bought a USB-A to Mini-DP so I can connect my 2015 MBP as well if need be.
If we used HDMI it only supported 30Hz so we went with the DP which is running 4K@60

Reactions: mike.a

mike.a

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Mike, I ended up using a USC-C to full size DP connector. Works fine. I also bought a USB-A to Mini-DP so I can connect my 2015 MBP as well if need be.
If we used HDMI it only supported 30Hz so we went with the DP which is running 4K@60
Dave, many thanks! I'll buy one of these USB-C to DisplayPort Cables (coincidentally an Amazon's Choice).

I also bought a USB-A to Mini-DP so I can connect my 2015 MBP
My P2415Q came with a "DP cable (mDP to DP)" that I've been using with my 2015 MBP over the years — didn't yours come with one? Glad both your cable solutions work for you regardless.

Sam5281

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Not to Hi-jack thread - but any external display options to look at for use with MBP M1 for 4k?

mike.a

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Dave, do you find that the colours on your Dell are very different when driven by your M1 MBP vs your 2015 MBP?

The colours are markedly darker and redder with the M1 vs my 2015 Intel.

I ended up purchasing the Choetech USB-C to DP cable I mentioned, and wonder if the cable can possibly influence colour reproduction? In all other ways it works well — everything's the usual 4K sharpness and at 60Hz.

Here's a couple of photos to illustrate.

2015 Intel driving the Dell: the colours are more closely matched.

Intel.jpg

M1 driving the Dell: the colour variance is very obvious, with the Dell being generally darker and redder to my eyes.

M1.jpg

Last edited:

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Dave, do you find that the colours on your Dell are very different when driven by your M1 MBP vs your 2015 MBP?

The colours are markedly darker and redder with the M1 vs my 2015 Intel.

I ended up purchasing the Choetech USB-C to DP cable I mentioned, and wonder if the cable can possibly influence colour reproduction? In all other ways it works well — everything's the usual 4K sharpness and at 60Hz.

Here's a couple of photos to illustrate.

2015 Intel driving the Dell: the colours are more closely matched.

View attachment 1793882

M1 driving the Dell: the colour variance is very obvious, with the Dell being generally darker and redder to my eyes.

View attachment 1793883

Looks like the difference between RGB and yCBCR - what does the monitor menu show?

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Nothing can be determined, the viewing angle is obviously different between the two pictures and the screen brightness is higher on the iOS device in the second one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.