Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theStruggle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2019
My mother has had an old iMac 2009 model for some time now and it's worked alright for her needs,
but not before I swapped in an SSD and removed the disc drive. I installed a fan utility to make the fan
go quietly.

However now a lot of sites she needs to access aren't working properly and they are even saying that
she'd have to upgrade her browser. This is a problem since she cannot upgrade to newer OS versions.
It's also been tough to use Zoom, it is a little bit demanding for the current setup.

She doesn't have a lot of income, I'm willing to help her buy a new system that would suit her needs.
However we would very much not enjoy having to buy a new system after a few years because it isn't
supported for OS upgrades anymore.

Main uses:
  1. Browse the web.
  2. Use Zoom for calls and meets.
She is well incorporated into the Apple Eco-system with these products:
  • iPad Air (First Gen, used for browsing recipes in the kitchen)
  • iPad (Latest Gen, mostly used for different reading apps, and uses Facetime to call her almost 100 year old mother. Also plays golf via Apple Arcade)
  • Iphone SE (Latest Gen, upgraded from the last gen SE model)
Now hitting a rough patch with very little to spend on other things than food and bills for the foreseeable future,
What kind of system would you recommend?

Thank you for your time to read, and for the eventual advice.

EDIT:
(Previously I'd written that she had a 2013 model, causing a lot of unnecessary replies.
I'm sorry guys!)

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What's your budget?
It's going to be difficult to make a recommendation without that.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
I'd say even the current 24-inch iMac (the lighter-coloured ones from last year) are modern, easy to use and set up, and will provide years of "current-ness."

They're a very good value by today's standards, but at Fishrrman mentioned, I'm not sure whether you're ready to spend even that much for one. They've been out for a year; checking Apple's refurbished store for Macs or eBay might reveal a good deal on one.

There are definitely more options than that, but that's my first reaction based on what you've said.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
What kind of system would you recommend?

My (fully kitted out with Apple) spouse and I have faced dealing with vintage/obsolete Mac and iPad support and hardware replacement difficulties with elders over the last several years. While this probably is heresy on a Mac-focused website, I would take a look at Chromebooks for anybody who only does email, web surfing, and non-professional Zoom calls.

Why? Here are the key reasons:
  • Apple's corporate strategy is centered around accelerated obsolescence of its hardware and software.
  • Apple prioritizes form over function. This means frequent design changes, both to hardware and software.
  • Changing devices can be stressful for people who rely on muscle memory to use tech hardware, especially if a new device is even slightly different in some way. Example: removing the Home button on iOS hardware. The same goes for UI/UX.
  • Outdated hardware and software results in hard-to-explain technical issues that often can only be fixed through a major software update or new hardware. Example: expired browser security certificates on a Mac that is stuck on an unsupported version of macOS.
  • Google currently provides eight years of support for Chrome OS (see: Chrome Auto Update Policy). That's a lot longer than Apple.
  • Easy access to web-based applications.
  • Purchase budget and price is not a factor, relative to anything made by Apple.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You might consider one of the m1 iMacs from Apple's refurbished page:

IMPORTANT IMPORTANT

I would advise you to NOT buy "the cheapest one". I believe it has only 2 ports on the back, and it doesn't have an ethernet connection.

Instead, buy "the next model up" with FOUR USBc ports on the back (2 are USBc, 2 are thunderbolt) AND it has an ethernet connector on the power adapter.

AN ALTERNATIVE:

Get either an Apple-refurbished m1 Mini, OR, wait until the new m2 Mini is introduced (possibly next month or perhaps between June and October).

Then, get a display which will be suitable for your mom.
I would suggest either a 27" 4k display (which will have clear text when run in "looks like 1080p" mode), OR, a 32" display with a NATIVE resolution of 1440p.

WHY these two recommendations?
Because as a result of aging, her eyesight may be getting worse, and either of the above will offer text at "large-enough" sizes to be easy to read for an older person.

Final thought:
Whatever you buy, MAKE SURE you get a Mac with an SSD.
DO NOT buy one with a fusion drive, or a platter-based hard drive.
The fusion drive may be unreliable over the long term.
A platter-based hard drive just "isn't enough" any more to handle the speed requirements of the OS...

Reactions: theStruggle

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
Wall garden is probably the way to go, so iPad or Chromebook become more interesting because they are less likely to get hijacked by popups, redirects, etc.

Why? Because my mother's experience with Windows 10 in the last six months has been very frustrating for her, and the major reason is Microsoft Edge trying to fight with Chrome about which browser to use as default. She gets very distracted by the constant nagging. She's just trying to check her mail on icloud.com and the next thing you know, Microsoft Edge is trying to direct her to swapping over for "everything", suggesting she needs to log in with her Microsoft account, that she should switch to OneDrive.... Insane making.

She does not like trackpads at all, though. iOS on the iPad would be the same as on her iPhone, but she might want to continue on a non-touch interface... In other words, keyboard and mouse.

If at all possible, have the potential user try things out prior to making monetary outlays.

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
a lot of sites she needs to access aren't working properly and they are even saying that
she'd have to upgrade her browser. This is a problem since she cannot upgrade to newer OS versions.

You might take a minute and check the newest version of MacOS compatible with her iMac here

According to that site, even the early 2013 iMac can run Catalina. I am running Catalina on a 2018 Mini and am able to access all the websites I need (pretty sure Catalina supports the newest version of Safari). So that could be worth a try, cost: $0. I suppose Zoom could be another thing however. I'm probably the only person in the world who has never used Zoom, so I can't help you there. ?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I agree that an iPad could work for the web and zoom. But for somebody who has been using an iMac with a big screen and mouse for many years, I don't think it makes sense to make them switch to an iPad unless they have expressed a desire to do so. It's going to be a completely different experience all-around.

Reactions: dwig

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
My iMac is two years older than your mothers and is running High Sierra. Pretty much all the latest browsers run on High Sierra, and most 3rd party apps. Your mother's 2013 iMac will even run Bug Sur, upon which literally everything will still run.

Before you start throwing cash at the problem, update the OS. Your mother's requirements are so basic it's insane to throw a ton of money at a new computer. (Can't believe I'm the first to say this, 11 responses in.)

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
According to that site, even the early 2013 iMac can run Catalina. I am running Catalina on a 2018 Mini and am able to access all the websites I need (pretty sure Catalina supports the newest version of Safari). So that could be worth a try, cost: $0. I suppose Zoom could be another thing however.

My mother's Mac is running Catalina and Zoom is no issue. Moved her boot volume to a spare external SSD (Samsung 830 in a chassis) I had and that made a world of difference.

But back to OP, if I had to trick out a Mac for mom, ditto Mini with a display. Comes out less than a new M iMac, reuse the existing mouse/keyboard. And she's used to it: stubborn re: change (tried to get her to use her tablet and iPhone more, but refuses to do some things on those, HAS TO use the Mac for things like email, web).

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I am surprised that no one has suggested a Macbook Air. Normally discounted on Amazon, so you can get a brand new one for around the same price as a refurb. Light and portable, so she can use it wherever she likes, has a screen built in, so potentially the cheapest option, assuming she does not already have a monitor. eBay the current iMac and that should yield some cash to put towards the new Air.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
I am a tech savvy elder and my wife is non tech elder. She can get by with her iPhone and orig iPad Air. Can not use a regular computer at all. I got her a new iPad Pro running iPad OS. The subtle diff between her orig Air and the new iPad Pro has thrown her for a loop. She doesn't like a new one and still clings to the air even though it is dead slow when trying to access the internet. Many of my brethren have trouble with technology in general.

theStruggle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2019
What's your budget?
It's going to be difficult to make a recommendation without that.
My budget, it's basically the bare minimum. She is in debt and can't put much money aside at all, so I'm going to attempt saving up whatever I can as I'm on a very low income myself. I recently saw a Mac Mini 2018 model go for
about 400$ with a magic keyboard and track pad. I missed the bidding. ? Sadly it also means we'd have to buy a separate screen as well.

theStruggle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2019
How about an iPad rather than a Mac?
She has an iPhone SE and a new top of the line basic iPad - but it's too high learning curve to do the tasks she uses to do with just the iPad. We tried to pair a keyboard and a mouse to see if she'd get used to it but it's too much of a hassle.

theStruggle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2019
To everyone else who replied to me regarding the supposed 2013 iMac model she has:
I remembered incorrectly. The model is a 2009. It has worked alright but not before I swapped in
an SSD and removed the disc drive. I installed a fan utility to make the fan go quietly. I have also edited
the first post with the corrected information and an apology.

-
Regarding getting a Chromebook: She's much too used to the Mac eco system to be able to switch. That and the new set of issues that comes with Windows, viruses and what not would also mean she'd have to keep anti-virus tools at hand and learn how to use those as well. She has trouble to keep the apps updated on her mac and all the other Apple products as it is.

• Sad
Reactions: MajorFubar

theStruggle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2019
My mother's Mac is running Catalina and Zoom is no issue. Moved her boot volume to a spare external SSD (Samsung 830 in a chassis) I had and that made a world of difference.

But back to OP, if I had to trick out a Mac for mom, ditto Mini with a display. Comes out less than a new M iMac, reuse the existing mouse/keyboard. And she's used to it: stubborn re: change (tried to get her to use her tablet and iPhone more, but refuses to do some things on those, HAS TO use the Mac for things like email, web).
Above you can read a reply regarding the incorrect info I wrote in the first post. Her iMac is sadly an 2009 model.

You've nailed the last bit of your post, my mother has the same issue and has to do some things on her Mac rather than using the iPad. I looked out for a Mac Mini 2018 model on auction with a lot of nice extras but missed the bid.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Regarding getting a Chromebook: She's much too used to the Mac eco system to be able to switch. That and the new set of issues that comes with Windows, viruses and what not would also mean she'd have to keep anti-virus tools at hand and learn how to use those as well. She has trouble to keep the apps updated on her mac and all the other Apple products as it is.

Chromebooks don't run Windows. Chromebooks (generally) don't have to deal with viruses and worst case if the device gets screwed up it's easy to wipe it and reset everything back to defaults. Chromebooks update automatically. Chromebooks are cheap. I talked my tech illiterate uncle into giving up his ancient Windows machine that kept getting viruses and it was the best thing I ever did for him. For the absolute basics you want once it was set up all she would have to do it log in and double click an icon to launch her browser.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Regarding getting a Chromebook
@MisterSavage and @calliex are exactly right in their posts, IMHO. In any case, this article from Wirecutter has a good overview of what buying and using Chromebooks involves, even if you decide to keep your mother in the Mac ecosystem for now:

Personally, if I had somehow been able to look into the future when initially setting up elder family members with Apple devices and services and subsequently trying to help them with later hardware and software upgrades, I would have gone with a Chromebook. The eight year life of the OS combined with cloud-based software–with the bonus of dramatically lower purchase costs–would have saved both me and the elders a lot of time and anguish. And in the OP's specific case, moving from a 2009 Mac to a current Mac or iPad would involve a major transition not too different from switching to Windows or Chrome OS.

Last edited:
Reactions: MisterSavage

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I remembered incorrectly. The model is a 2009.

Well, four years makes all the difference, sounds like you have already gone as far as you should with a 12-year-old Mac. You might keep an eye on the Apple Refurb Store, these Macs all have the same one year warranty as new but are about 15% cheaper.

They currently have 21.5" iMacs for as low as $889 and a Mini for $760. But you need to check frequently over a period of time to find the best deals with the specs you want. Got my 2018 Mini there and saved a lot, but it took almost of month of constant checking. In the past, they have had base M1 8gb/128gb Mini's for under $600 but those may all be gone now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.