Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noah25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Hello everyone. help and advice needed here. Please excuse me if my question sounds weird :)

I’m a public person (actor), working on my iphone a lot (chatting with agent, signing important documents, screenplays/ movie scenarios (I get them via email and am not allowed to share with third party, otherwise I’d be charged HUGE fees, this makes me paranoid sometimes), Instagram, work messages, chats, personal notes, and my keychain lives on the iphone).

I got myself a second device - a Macbook. I use it for a whole lot different purposes: youtube, Netflix, family Zoom calls, cloud gaming (on a Mac, yeah I know), browsing the web a LOT, downloading game launchers (unofficial ones too), discord, downloading and trying unauthorised apps, storing my old photos/ docs.

I use the same Apple ID on both devices.

because things I care about a LOT (like signed docs, messages or screenplays) are sitting here in my phone - I wondered if there is a reason to get another Apple ID for the macbook.

Is there any risk for my iphone data - by getting possible malware downloaded on the laptop? (as soon as they share the same Apple ID) or just smth leaking or being hacked by occasionly downloading a wrong thing on the mac..? ?

Also, on Mac I never use iMessage, FaceTime and all. I don’t care about photo sync either.

Securitywise- I never use public wifi and never visit really weird websites with virus popups.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to keep the phone and the mac on separate IDs? Or at least separate Apple IDs, but the same AppStore account?

I’d be glad to hear any advice! xxx

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
For security purposes I would have no concerns about keeping the same Apple ID for both devices. It makes everything much, much easier to do so.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Based on your needs, to ME, the same ID would suffice for both.

Plus with Apple, you can enable MFA (multifactor authentication). So, if someone ever tried to log into your account elsewhere, they'd need to enter a code to proceed.

Merely my opinion...

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
Since the Macbook and the iPhone are on the same ID, there shouldn't be a problem using iMessage on your Macbook--I don't think that the recipients of your messages would be able to see if you are sending from phone or laptop.

That being said, if you want to have a wall of separation between work stuff and personal stuff, it would be a good idea to get another phone and set up a separate ID.

If you only use your MacBook for non-work and want to keep it that way you should set up a separate account and tie the MacBook to that ID.

It is cumbersome, but I think it best to keep work and non-work separate. As phones have gotten larger it is sometimes difficult to schlep around one let alone two phones!

Just my 2 cents.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I don't see any risk to your iPhone. You should of course secure your account. Use two-factor authentication, and if you have sensitive data on the phone, you may not want to use iCloud Backup (because if someone hacks your account, they could potentially download that backup).

What are you using the Apple ID for on the Mac? If you are concerned, it's perfectly doable to use a Mac without any Apple ID at all. Of course you'd not be able to use iCloud and handoff features between phone and Mac, but it doesn't sound like you are using them anyway.

Generally, I would not recommend to use "unauthorized apps" (whatever that means) on a machine that has any critical information on it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.