Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattysmith118

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2016
South West Wales
I'll start off with a bit of history first. Basically in the past I have owned an iPhone 4, 4s, 5s, 7 and now an X. I also have owned in between a Galaxy S4, Galaxy S4 Mini, Galaxy S5 and a Galaxy S6 Edge

Now while I always found Samsung was more advanced in technology with more features and more availability on the phone like better multitasking, fast charge out the box, receiving features well before Apple, modifying home screen, AMOLED display, etc. I feel like Apple takes a lot longer to bring out the features as they like to perfect them.

Samsung also had to wait for carriers to push out updates as Apple can do it themselves. That was also when Samsung even bothered to push out updates. I received maybe one a year, 2 if lucky. I started to feel as if Samsung didn't even care about their customers.

Also a reason I like iPhones is the notification system and 3D touch. People claim 3D touch is a gimmick but if you go back to a phone that doesn't have 3D touch you will be surprised how much you do actually use it.

For social media it is so quick and easy to reply to a notification as you do not have to unlock the phone and able to respond on the lock screen with minimum effort. I know Samsung still does not use 3D touch but I'm not sure how the notification system works on Galaxies these days but I'm guessing it's been updated since. This was a big game changer for me as I mainly use my phone for social media and communication.

The main reason I kept switching back to iPhones/Apple was because after a couple of months using a Samsung Galaxy my phones would ALWAYS stutter and lag. Typing every few words would commonly enter the same letter or word twice. This happened a lot and even with different keyboards like SwiftKey etc. I had phones replaced and it would happen on every single phone. Now using a phone every day this would obviously make you frustrated. Not to mention how the speed and battery of the device would decrease.

I have heard from a few people that Samsung Galaxy devices still remain as fast and does not lag/stutter anymore. Has anyone had this problem in the past and confirm this does not happen anymore? I also would like to know how the notification system on Galaxy phones these days work. Replying on lock screen for notifications? Is there a character limit? Does the device need to be unlocked? Is there an option to change this? etc. I have also heard that Samsung push out updates more frequently to carriers.

I actually feel like Apple is going downhill fast. iOS 11 is still really buggy for me. Widget screen resprings my device or my home screen buttons would move so I can't use them until the widgets refresh and other strange bugs happen. Waiting years for features from phones that have had them for a while with a buggy OS is not the way forward.

Any advice on how battery is after a few months would help. Also the notch does not bother me on the iPhone X and I'm not bothered by the camera difference either.

I would generally like to switch back to Samsung if the lag and stutters do not happen anymore. But is it worth going for a note 8 as in 6 months there will likely be a note 9? Or still stick with iPhone?

Any thoughts/opinions/help? Please do not post just for the sake of it or give your biased opinions. I have reasons for choosing the phones at certain times. I'm not a 'fanboy' of either phone. I choose which one was suited better for me at the time.

Thanks

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Had a Samsung S8, S7 Edge, S6 Edge, S4, some LG's, HTC's, plenty of iPhones.... I can see which way the "best phone" is trending.

Honestly? Now is the time to try the Pixel 2.

I tried the Pixel and liked it but it was missing too much. The Pixel 2 is much better, and these will only improve. Google will become a big player. As for Samsung vs iPhone, both great options. Samsung hardware is untouchable right now, but obviously the ecosystem is better with Apple.

Samsung are improving their software updates for sure, my S8 got plenty compared to previous years. But very slow to get Oreo (although at least they are taking their time to get it right).

As for lag? The way I see it, Samsung have so many useful extras, that I can accept a bit of lag. There are things I miss from the S8 on the Pixel 2 XL for sure. But moving forward, it's Pixel time.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Honestly no one has a truly unbiased opinion so I'll keep my biased one as macro as possible. Android continues to improve with every release even the points it's been a long while since you've used it give it another shot..it's only money

Reactions: mattysmith118

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
I love both android (especially Samsung phones) and iOS. I however do find the app quality and iMessage to be far superior on iOS.

This is the key driver for me. I have an iPhone 8+ and a Pixel 2 XL and, while both are great hardware devices (if you ignore the slight burn in on my Pixel screen), I vastly prefer iPhone apps for the majority of the things I use my phone for every day.

mattysmith118

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2016
South West Wales
I love both android (especially Samsung phones) and iOS. I however do find the app quality and iMessage to be far superior on iOS.

I 100% agree with this. If I did go back to Samsung one thing I would miss is iMessage.

I agree on app quality aswell. For example Snapchat. Which is probably my most used app. As I was saying I mostly use my phone for communication and social media the iPhone is very useful with the app quality and notification system.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I read your entire post, and honestly, I think the Pixel 2/2XL is what you need to be looking at.

Always up-to-date OS updates when Google releases them. Samsung will always lag on software updates because they want to release new software with their next flagship first. A very similar 3D Touch capability without the fancy hardware, essentially the same actions via long-press. Notification system that is vastly superior to iOS, and includes lock screen replys. Zero stutter/lag. Best battery life on an Android device. Stock Android really is the best version of Android and there's no doubting that.

mattysmith118

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2016
South West Wales
I read your entire post, and honestly, I think the Pixel 2/2XL is what you need to be looking at.

Always up-to-date OS updates when Google releases them. Samsung will always lag on software updates because they want to release new software with their next flagship first. A very similar 3D Touch capability without the fancy hardware, essentially the same actions via long-press. Notification system that is vastly superior to iOS, and includes lock screen replys. Zero stutter/lag. Best battery life on an Android device. Stock Android really is the best version of Android and there's no doubting that.

Second person to say that lol. Time to go YouTube the Pixel 2. How often do they get released?

So I checked out the Pixel 2 and what an ugly phone. I honestly don't think I could sit there all day staring at it. The bottom and top bezels are far too big and people complain about the iPhone X notch lmao

Last edited:

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Second person to say that lol. Time to go YouTube the Pixel 2. How often do they get released?

So I checked out the Pixel 2 and what an ugly phone. I honestly don't think I could sit there all day staring at it. The bottom and top bezels are far too big and people complain about the iPhone X notch lmao
Yes, the Pixel 2 has an "outdated" look, did you look at the 2 XL, the larger version? Also, I can understand not enjoying the looks of it, but the software more than makes up for what it might be lacking in the design department. It checked all of your boxes, and if you don't mind the bigger size, the 2 XL is certainly worth your attention.

mattysmith118

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2016
South West Wales
Yes, the Pixel 2 has an "outdated" look, did you look at the 2 XL, the larger version? Also, I can understand not enjoying the looks of it, but the software more than makes up for what it might be lacking in the design department. It checked all of your boxes, and if you don't mind the bigger size, the 2 XL is certainly worth your attention.

Yeah thats the thing I did look at the XL but I have quite small hands, I struggle with the iPhone X. At least design wise the XL is better.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Go with a Galaxy. I have a friend living in Prague, Czech Republic and he chose the S8+ knowing Apple's new phones would be expensive and that he needed a device to replace his aging 5S. The X is an amazing device, but if you can sell the X for a good amount and then get the Galaxy, your wallet will appreciate it.

I recommend the S8+ since it has a beefier battery, nicer build quality, more affordable, doesn't use iTunes, has a better UI, and has more features.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
I 100% agree with this. If I did go back to Samsung one thing I would miss is iMessage.

I agree on app quality aswell. For example Snapchat. Which is probably my most used app. As I was saying I mostly use my phone for communication and social media the iPhone is very useful with the app quality and notification system.

If you have Verizon ... Verizon Messages is pretty close to iMessage. Also, there is a new iMessage 3rd party app that requires an apple computer to work. I have read about it but never tried it. and YES snapchat on android is lag city!

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
If you have Verizon ... Verizon Messages is pretty close to iMessage. Also, there is a new iMessage 3rd party app that requires an apple computer to work. I have read about it but never tried it. and YES snapchat on android is lag city!

Snapchat on iOS is also pretty laggy on my front too. I think they designed a terrible app with a nifty social media idea though.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
I'll start off with a bit of history first. Basically in the past I have owned an iPhone 4, 4s, 5s, 7 and now an X. I also have owned in between a Galaxy S4, Galaxy S4 Mini, Galaxy S5 and a Galaxy S6 Edge

Now while I always found Samsung was more advanced in technology with more features and more availability on the phone like better multitasking, fast charge out the box, receiving features well before Apple, modifying home screen, AMOLED display, etc. I feel like Apple takes a lot longer to bring out the features as they like to perfect them.

Samsung also had to wait for carriers to push out updates as Apple can do it themselves. That was also when Samsung even bothered to push out updates. I received maybe one a year, 2 if lucky. I started to feel as if Samsung didn't even care about their customers.

Also a reason I like iPhones is the notification system and 3D touch. People claim 3D touch is a gimmick but if you go back to a phone that doesn't have 3D touch you will be surprised how much you do actually use it.

For social media it is so quick and easy to reply to a notification as you do not have to unlock the phone and able to respond on the lock screen with minimum effort. I know Samsung still does not use 3D touch but I'm not sure how the notification system works on Galaxies these days but I'm guessing it's been updated since. This was a big game changer for me as I mainly use my phone for social media and communication.

The main reason I kept switching back to iPhones/Apple was because after a couple of months using a Samsung Galaxy my phones would ALWAYS stutter and lag. Typing every few words would commonly enter the same letter or word twice. This happened a lot and even with different keyboards like SwiftKey etc. I had phones replaced and it would happen on every single phone. Now using a phone every day this would obviously make you frustrated. Not to mention how the speed and battery of the device would decrease.

I have heard from a few people that Samsung Galaxy devices still remain as fast and does not lag/stutter anymore. Has anyone had this problem in the past and confirm this does not happen anymore? I also would like to know how the notification system on Galaxy phones these days work. Replying on lock screen for notifications? Is there a character limit? Does the device need to be unlocked? Is there an option to change this? etc. I have also heard that Samsung push out updates more frequently to carriers.

I actually feel like Apple is going downhill fast. iOS 11 is still really buggy for me. Widget screen resprings my device or my home screen buttons would move so I can't use them until the widgets refresh and other strange bugs happen. Waiting years for features from phones that have had them for a while with a buggy OS is not the way forward.

Any advice on how battery is after a few months would help. Also the notch does not bother me on the iPhone X and I'm not bothered by the camera difference either.

I would generally like to switch back to Samsung if the lag and stutters do not happen anymore. But is it worth going for a note 8 as in 6 months there will likely be a note 9? Or still stick with iPhone?

Any thoughts/opinions/help? Please do not post just for the sake of it or give your biased opinions. I have reasons for choosing the phones at certain times. I'm not a 'fanboy' of either phone. I choose which one was suited better for me at the time.

Thanks

Every Android i have owned including my current S7 Edge, lags. My s7 edge lags pretty badly on occasion. My Note 8 I had for my personal phone didn't have any lag, but I also didn't have it very long. I now have an iPhone X and S7 Edge which the s7 is due for an upgrade in March, so I am thinking about getting the V30 this time as I really don't like the curved screens.

mattysmith118

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2016
South West Wales
Every Android i have owned including my current S7 Edge, lags. My s7 edge lags pretty badly on occasion. My Note 8 I had for my personal phone didn't have any lag, but I also didn't have it very long. I now have an iPhone X and S7 Edge which the s7 is due for an upgrade in March, so I am thinking about getting the V30 this time as I really don't like the curved screens.

Did you get rid of the note 8 to get the iPhone X? do you regret the iPhone X and wish you stayed with the note 8 or are you happy? Yeah I'm glad I wasn't the only one who's phones lagged
[doublepost=1517715770][/doublepost]
Snapchat on iOS is also pretty laggy on my front too. I think they designed a terrible app with a nifty social media idea though.

Snapchat on iOS for me isn't nearly has as bad as it is on android. At least they put slightly more effort in on iOS but still far from perfect and my god it destroys the battery lol
[doublepost=1517715837][/doublepost]

I live in the UK and I use Three. Not really interested in other messaging apps as I would stick to WhatsApp Snapchat and texts if I moved away from Apple

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Did you get rid of the note 8 to get the iPhone X? do you regret the iPhone X and wish you stayed with the note 8 or are you happy? Yeah I'm glad I wasn't the only one who's phones lagged

Snapchat on iOS for me isn't nearly has as bad as it is on android. At least they put slightly more effort in on iOS but still far from perfect and my god it destroys the battery lol

I live in the UK and I use Three. Not really interested in other messaging apps as I would stick to WhatsApp Snapchat and texts if I moved away from Apple

Android is worse for me than iOS in terms of Snapchat, so I agree with that.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
I have had samsungs since the original s now on a note 8. Used to be a dev for the original note on xda so I hear you in most of the issues you raised.

But the software is far better and more streamlined than it used to be. Is it perfect no but it's as close too.

You can pull down notification shade and reply directly. I use nova launcher which now adds extra functions to a long press on supported icons.

As for pixel phones I have not used them but I did use the Nexus 6 and I've said this many times. I constantly felt like a beta teater. They would add or tweak something and break something else.

I have had the note 8 since release and have had about 6 updates so far and not one issue.

And my s8 was as fast as when I sold it as when I got it.

Samsung keyboard still is a pain but I use gboard now so no issues there

I will test the lock screen reply for you I have mine set to hide message normally but will test
[doublepost=1517732865][/doublepost]Okay looks like Google and also Samsung removed ability natively to reply from a secure lock screen however it can be done very easily apparently not that I've tried but xda is your friend

https://www.xda-developers.com/thre...ickbaity-tricks-for-your-new-galaxy-s8-or-s8/

Also you have full control of which apps can show on lock screen

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180204-082252.jpg
    Screenshot_20180204-082252.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 226

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
if performance and software updates matter I suggest go for a pixel if you're leaving apple. thats the best comparison really in terms of updates and what it provides.

feature wise Samsung are the one to go for. depends on the main needs

Reactions: Cryates

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017

Yes, I thought the Note 8 was a great phone, but hated how tall it was. I noticed myself moving my hands a lot going up and down the screen. The LG V30 seems to be the perfect size phone, and the 8 plus I had before the X.

I like the X, I am just irritated by FaceID not working 100% of the time. I have to enter the code. Some apps that worked with touch id don't work with faceid at all. :(

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Okay looks like Google and also Samsung removed ability natively to reply from a secure lock screen however it can be done very easily apparently not that I've tried but xda is your friend

With the screen still locked, no you can't compose and send a reply. However, you can read the notification and choose to reply, and with the well-placed fingerprint reader on the Pixel 2 XL it's stupid easy to unlock the phone and compose the reply.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I have had samsungs since the original s now on a note 8. Used to be a dev for the original note on xda so I hear you in most of the issues you raised.

But the software is far better and more streamlined than it used to be. Is it perfect no but it's as close too.

You can pull down notification shade and reply directly. I use nova launcher which now adds extra functions to a long press on supported icons.

As for pixel phones I have not used them but I did use the Nexus 6 and I've said this many times. I constantly felt like a beta teater. They would add or tweak something and break something else.

I have had the note 8 since release and have had about 6 updates so far and not one issue.

I will test the lock screen reply for you I have mine set to hide message normally but will test
[doublepost=1517732865][/doublepost]Okay looks like Google and also Samsung removed ability natively to reply from a secure lock screen however it can be done very easily apparently not that I've tried but xda is your friend

https://www.xda-developers.com/thre...ickbaity-tricks-for-your-new-galaxy-s8-or-s8/

OT, but what theme are you using?

mattysmith118

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2016
South West Wales

Brilliant mate! thanks for the post! Sounds like pretty much everything that I've heard lately. What do you mean about Samsung keyboard still a pain though? as in words come up twice etc? if so does the gboard fix this? Thanks so much on the post tho!
[doublepost=1517797416][/doublepost]
Yes, I thought the Note 8 was a great phone, but hated how tall it was. I noticed myself moving my hands a lot going up and down the screen. The LG V30 seems to be the perfect size phone, and the 8 plus I had before the X.

I like the X, I am just irritated by FaceID not working 100% of the time. I have to enter the code. Some apps that worked with touch id don't work with faceid at all. :(

I haven't really had any problems with FaceID tbh. I actually think it works better than TouchID as I was always putting in my passcode with it due to failing
[doublepost=1517797446][/doublepost]
With the screen still locked, no you can't compose and send a reply. However, you can read the notification and choose to reply, and with the well-placed fingerprint reader on the Pixel 2 XL it's stupid easy to unlock the phone and compose the reply.

What about when it is unlocked?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
What about when it is unlocked?

When the phone is unlocked, I can reply to messages in Hangouts (my main text and chat app as I'm on Project Fi) right from the pull-down notification shade. I can also select to reply to a message in the GMail app but that just opens a message composition screen in reply to the message I requested to reply to.

mattysmith118

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2016
South West Wales
When the phone is unlocked, I can reply to messages in Hangouts (my main text and chat app as I'm on Project Fi) right from the pull-down notification shade. I can also select to reply to a message in the GMail app but that just opens a message composition screen in reply to the message I requested to reply to.

So unlocking the phone takes you straight into the home screen? I forgot about this haha

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
So unlocking the phone takes you straight into the home screen? I forgot about this haha

Home screen? Not sure I follow the process you're asking about.

If I have an app on the screen when the phone locks, the app is still on the screen next time I unlock the phone.
If I'm trying to reply to a message from the notifications on the lock screen and I unlock the phone, the app for that notification will take over the screen, or the notification shade will until I'm done composing and sending the message (depends on the app).
If I had no app on-screen when the phone locked and I'm not attempting to reply to a notification from the lockscreen, if I unlock the phone it takes me to whichever homescreen panel I was on prior to the phone locking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.