Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lirasA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2023
Hi All
You probably heard a lot of times about issues with coating / paint on the frame. So I have my 14 pro space black for around a year. Today I removed the case (mous limitless 5.0) to clean up the phone and spoted scratches / spots without paint around buttons. Rest of the phone look fine to me. I bought the phone via Amazon.de and it's still under warranty so I asked them for assistance, because I know already that Apple refuse to cover cosmetic faults under their warranty. They told me I can send the phone back to them and they will replace faulty part - in my case the frame. In case it's not possible they will refund. So what should I do? Can they even replace just the frame? Or should I risk it and hope for a refund or do not bother at all?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Where the heck are they going to get an original chassis for you? Even if they did, would you trust their work in transferring everything over, especially delicate parts like the wireless coil? I wouldn’t bother at all.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
You should remove the case to clean the phone (and case) more often than once a year... I do mine weekly. @JPack is correct, no way they will replace the chassis, if you get a refund I'd be surprised. I'd say they may send a refurbished model but even that would be surprisingly generous

lirasA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2023
Where the heck are they going to get an original chassis for you? Even if they did, would you trust their work in transferring everything over, especially delicate parts like the wireless coil? I wouldn’t bother at all.
No idea mate. Phone and case costed me 1500 euro and because of ****** quality I'm wondering if it's worth a risk to get a replacement or refund.

lirasA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2023
You should remove the case to clean the phone (and case) more often than once a year... I do mine weekly. @JPack is correct, no way they will replace the chassis, if you get a refund I'd be surprised. I'd say they may send a refurbished model but even that would be surprisingly generous
I did clean it before, like 2-3 times overall but did not spot any faults back then. still it shouldn't be happening if a phone costed so much money and is put in one of the best cases on the market.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
1 year later? This should be normal. Imagine those who buy a new car and 1 year later find a scratch. Wow.
Return to the dealer for refund because it is still under warranty.:)

At the end of the day, it's a phone in a case. This means debris can get inside and abrade the PVD coating.
Specifically, in a not apple certified case. It is not even apple’s oem case.
On top of that, beach walk can get sand into the cases and it rub off anything - nobody can prove that OP was not near any sand at all.

Reactions: kc9hzn

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Hi All
You probably heard a lot of times about issues with coating / paint on the frame. So I have my 14 pro space black for around a year. Today I removed the case (mous limitless 5.0) to clean up the phone and spoted scratches / spots without paint around buttons. Rest of the phone look fine to me. I bought the phone via Amazon.de and it's still under warranty so I asked them for assistance, because I know already that Apple refuse to cover cosmetic faults under their warranty. They told me I can send the phone back to them and they will replace faulty part - in my case the frame. In case it's not possible they will refund. So what should I do? Can they even replace just the frame? Or should I risk it and hope for a refund or do not bother at all?
It's a phone, not a tampon. Scratches, dings and blemishes are normal. A shattered screen is not. It's fruitless trying to maintain something that will in all likelihood get traded in for another phone. If that's the case the only three things to worry about are: a) does the device power on, b) is the screen cracked, c) did you reset the phone. Mild blemishes don't count.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
It's a phone, not a tampon. Scratches, dings and blemishes are normal. A shattered screen is not. It's fruitless trying to maintain something that will in all likelihood get traded in for another phone. If that's the case the only three things to worry about are: a) does the device power on, b) is the screen cracked, c) did you reset the phone. Mild blemishes don't count.
Well said. You are one smart heat fan. Heat fan since they began #GOHEAT
I live in the 305 too BTW (West Miami)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.