Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shuto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
Trying to work out if it is a good idea to buy Apple care for the new Mac Pro.

It’s £299 for Mac Pro and £499 for XDR. Ouch

I bought Apple care with my trash can Mac Pro, and Apple did replace a GPU to fix visual glitches that starte very close to the end of Apple Care, so it was worth it there.

Do other people think it’s a good idea to buy Apple Care with Mac Pro and XDR?

Reactions: OkiRun

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Trying to work out if it is a good idea to buy Apple care for the new Mac Pro.

It’s £299 for Mac Pro and £499 for XDR. Ouch

I bought Apple care with my trash can Mac Pro, and Apple did replace a GPU to fix visual glitches that starte very close to the end of Apple Care, so it was worth it there.

Do other people think it’s a good idea to buy Apple Care with Mac Pro and XDR?
The more expensive the equipment, the wiser it is to have 'insurance'. Both these machines are first generation. My peace of mind is worth more than a Starbucks latte each day.

Reactions: shuto

shuto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
Many thanks for all your replies. Def going to get apple care.

Just been asking apple support - if I buy a component later (Vega II for example) is that covered under Apple Care even if I didn't buy it at same time as Mac Pro? and they say yes, so thats good :) From original date Apple Care is bought.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
I completely forgot to add applecare when ordering. But I contacted apple, and they said once I receive it, I have 60 days to add it. So, easy peasy.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I completely forgot to add applecare when ordering. But I contacted apple, and they said once I receive it, I have 60 days to add it. So, easy peasy.

You USUALLY have to run a system test to confirm it's working before adding Apple Care post-purchase. Altering the stock config SOMETIMES creates an issue here. Just something to be aware of.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
You USUALLY have to run a system test to confirm it's working before adding Apple Care post-purchase. Altering the stock config SOMETIMES creates an issue here. Just something to be aware of.
thanks for the heads up. I will add applecare before even unboxing lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.