Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ynmtgtst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2017
MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I really need some advice as to what to do with my Mac.

I spilled cereal on it, and tried to clean it off as much as I could.

It's been about two weeks now since that happened, and 3 days after the damage, I started testing it out again to see if it was still okay.

The first time I tried to turn it on, it would turn on, and I'd get the black screen with the Apple logo and a loading bar, and it was in a constant loop.

Today is about two weeks since the damage. I turned it on today, and it did go all the way. I'm typing on it now.

What I'm noticing is:
  • It needs to stay plugged in to stay on, and the light on the cable needs to be on.
  • The battery level is stuck on 85%
  • There is the constant noise of air coming out of the Mac
  • It's lagging a bit
I know I'm doing some wishful thinking right now, but could it be that it's just the battery that's not working anymore? And maybe my Mac isn't completely messed up?

This is my battery information:
Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 5162
Fully Charged: No
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6409
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 143
Condition: Replace Now
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -6
Voltage (mV): 8153

I haven't gone to the Apple store yet because I was waiting to see if it would still turn on after some time.
I'm hoping it could be just a battery issue and not anything else.

But any advice would be helpful!

LT_Smash

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016
> Condition: Replace Now

The battery is water damaged and will need to be replaced, however it's probably not causing the fans to run at full speed or the lag. There's likely corrosion on the board; you can remove it with 100% rubbing alcohol (don't use anything other than 100% (that includes 99% which I know... I get it... 99% was easier to find and you used it... [I've heard that many times] but the water content will just make your problems worse).

However you need to weigh your personal repair skills, if you're not comfortable stripping the laptop completely down then you might be better off replacing the battery and living with it until either A) the problem goes away [not likely] or B) the computer eventually destroys itself [far more likely]. But it could run in the current state for the foreseeable future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.