Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Guys, a bit of advice needed please as I'll be renovating my bathroom soon 😄

Would these panels be suitable for a bathroom? I've seen online that a lot of people use them but unsure as to how durable they'd be.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/easipane...VSUhBAh1ozw82EAQYAiABEgIRtvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

They do look great

View attachment 1924631
Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 09.16.46.png

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 10.13.52.png

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 10.16.03.png

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
If kids are using the bathroom, maybe not as practical. I would maybe consider using it on the walls but not on a tub surround.

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
If kids are using the bathroom, maybe not as practical. I would maybe consider using it on the walls but not on a tub surround.
Hi Breezygirl thank you for your reply. I have 2 kids - a 14 and 10 year old. May I ask why not so suitable with kids?

My main concern was how the panels would be affected by water splashing all over them 😆

Reactions: Breezygirl

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Hi Breezygirl thank you for your reply. I have 2 kids - a 14 and 10 year old. May I ask why not so suitable with kids?

My main concern was how the panels would be affected by water splashing all over them 😆
You would want to use a really good paint to seal the panels and sealant on the edges to prevent any water damage to the MDF. MDF isn’t great around water, I’d personally use a quality tile around the bathtub and use the paneling on the walls.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly

I guess it would depend on how you 'treat' the panels since they are MDF. I wouldn't think that splashes wouldn't be too bad as long as you wiped them down after bath time. It is recommended on the site's FAQ that they should not be installed in a shower enclosure (in the event you have a bath/shower combo).

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
You would want to use a really good paint to seal the panels and sealant on the edges to prevent any water damage to the MDF. MDF isn’t great around water, I’d personally use a quality tile around the bathtub and use the paneling on the walls.

I guess it would depend on how you 'treat' the panels since they are MDF. I wouldn't think that splashes wouldn't be too bad as long as you wiped them down after bath time. It is recommended on the site's FAQ that they should not be installed in a shower enclosure (in the event you have a bath/shower combo).
Thanks both.

From your replies, and from some research I did just now, I think I'm going to play it safe and not panel around the bath area as there'll also be a shower there. I'll use metro tiles there and might though panel around the rest of the bathroom. I just need to visualise if this would look good or not - part metro tiles part panelling!

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Not sure how they would last if your bathroom gets hot and steamy from showers/baths.
Agree. It would only last if made of plastic, or ceramic perhaps. The fact is that moisture eventually penetrates wood under the paint. Also, water (moisture) will eventually damage sheetrock walls. I don't use sheetrock for the showers at home, just Cement Backer Boards.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
both.

From your replies, and from some research I did just now, I think I'm going to play it safe and not panel around the bath area as there'll also be a shower there. I'll use metro tiles there and might though panel around the rest of the bathroom. I just need to visualise if this would look good or not - part metro tiles part panelling!

These are a few of the examples I came across

Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 19.42.28.png

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 14.22.03.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 19.42.28.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 19.42.28.png
    679.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 20.28.24.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 20.28.24.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 20.21.18.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 20.21.18.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 70

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Not sure how they would last if your bathroom gets hot and steamy from showers/baths.

Agree. It would only last if made of plastic, or ceramic perhaps. The fact is that moisture eventually penetrates wood under the paint. Also, water (moisture) will eventually damage sheetrock walls. I don't use sheetrock for the showers at home, just Cement Backer Boards.
The blurb on these sheet says it's moisture resistant. After having some sense talked into me from the wife, I wouldn't put it behind the bath. It would only go on the walls clear of the bath. Would that be OK? Or would the moisture from all the steam still cause damage?

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Also, water (moisture) will eventually damage sheetrock walls.
That's if you're lucky. If you're not, you'll get mold.😷

I recently replaced the vanity in future rental condo. When I took the old vanity out, I found unpainted drywall😑... mold infested😣, unpainted drywall.😬😬😬 Mold feasted on the paper in drywall. I took down all the exposed drywall, sprayed a lot of bleach on the studs, just to be safe.

What moron uses sheetrock for the bathroom?😠 Damn penny pinching developers.🤬 Now I have to spend a lot of $$$ re-walling the bathroom with moisture resistant drywall.😕

• Wow

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008

I recently replaced the vanity in future rental condo. When I took the old vanity out, I found unpainted drywall😑... mold infested😣, unpainted drywall.😬😬😬 Mold feasted on the paper in drywall. I took down all the exposed drywall, sprayed a lot of bleach on the studs, just to be safe.

What moron uses sheetrock for the bathroom?😠 Damn penny pinching developers.🤬 Now I have to spend a lot of $$$ re-walling the bathroom with moisture resistant drywall.😕
Mouse, mould was also a nightmare for me in my ensuite. The guys who built the house had cut every single imaginable corner to save money. I won't go into all the details as to how bad it was as I'd be here for a few days typing it all out.

But in the ensuite they'd used chip board everywhere. When the builder removed the tiles it was horrific. How the tiles stayed up for some many years I do not know. Thankfully we're renovating both bathrooms now. And I've decided to use the wall panels only around the walls where the bath isn't close. Around the bath I'll be using metro tiles, like in the pix above 😄

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska

We learn such things long after buying a home :)

What happens to the shower walls is that moisture usually reach the walls though the tile grout. Once the wall gets we, mold grows on the insulation. If the bathroom is properly designed, it would be well-ventilated. For example, since my house has to be well-insulated (I live in Alaska), I have a ventilator that brings fresh air into all the rooms in the house, and exhausts moist or stale air out of the house. The exhaust points are at each bathroom, kitchen and at another room downstairs. You can also have bathroom fans that are controlled by humidistats (these turn the fans at preset levels of humidity, and turn off when the cutout level is reached).

Last edited:

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
We learn such things long after buying a home :)

What happens to the shower walls is that moisture usually reach the walls though the tile grout. Once the wall gets we, mold grows on the insulation. If the bathroom is properly designed, it would be well-ventilated. For example, since my house has to be well-insulated (I live in Alaska), I have a ventilator that brings fresh air into all the rooms in the house, and exhausts moist or stale air out of the house. The exhaust points are at each bathroom, kitchen and at another room downstairs. You can also have bathroom fans that are controlled by humidistats (these turn the fans at preset levels of humidity, and turn off when the cutout level is reached).
And thus is exactly what happened in my Ensuite. The house overall was atrocious. We had crumbling screeding that hurt your feet where it was real bad. Peeling paint. Uneven walls etc. The Ensuite was the worst. grouting was atrocious. Peeling paint. Leeming shower. And this all led to horrific mould everywhere.

Thankfully I have a top builder who's sorting it all out.

I'll post pix of both bathrooms once they're done

bad_robot

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2019
While panels can offer a quick fix, they are not as durable or resistant to moisture as tiles. The seams between panels can be vulnerable to water damage over time, leading to mold and mildew growth.
Tiles are a more reliable option. When properly installed and sealed, tiles offer excellent resistance to moisture and are easier to clean and maintain in the long run. But even with tiles, there is a risk of mold if grout lines are not adequately sealed or if there are any cracks or gaps where water can accumulate.
If you do choose tiles, then be sure to regularly check for mold signs, like damp odors that don’t go away with cleaning or tiles coming away from the shower wall. They are fully described in this guide on water damage behind shower tiles.

Last edited:

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Guys, so sorry, I completely forgot to update this thread.

After an absolutely atrocious time getting the bathrooms renovated due to the most criminal of a builder ( I won't go into details as its a very very very long and infuriating story), I finally got both bathrooms completed a couple of months ago. I need to start to add the finishing touches of art and ornaments to make them feeling even more personal.

This is one of the infuriating parts!
IMG_5019.jpeg
IMG_5018.jpeg
IMG_5017.jpeg

But after ditching the absolute imebecile of a builder, I got a friend in to do the work and ended up with these

This is the master with the panelling, and the whole family's favourite

IMG_1152.jpeg
IMG_1153.jpeg
IMG_1151.jpeg
IMG_1150.jpeg
IMG_1156.jpeg
IMG_1154.jpeg

And this is the ensuite

IMG_1051.jpeg
IMG_1056.jpeg
IMG_1048.jpeg
IMG_1053.jpeg
IMG_1054.jpeg
IMG_1110.jpeg

All the heartache, arguments, stress, and shouting was worth it :D

Attachments

• IMG_1044.jpeg
    IMG_1044.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1045.jpeg
    IMG_1045.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1043.jpeg
    IMG_1043.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1155.jpeg
    IMG_1155.jpeg
    300.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1061.jpeg
    IMG_1061.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1060.jpeg
    IMG_1060.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 8
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.