Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KACTER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
Hi All ! Im from Hong Kong and new to here !
It's so amazing that there is a such big community to help out people who has different kind of question about Mac !

Luckily I'm going to get a nMP stock 6 cores CPU with dual D700 graphics .

May I ask that , should I upgrade to the more cores E5-2697v2 CPU but with lower clock speed , or higher CPU clock speed like E5-2667v2 but with less cores , in order to have better graphical performance in general ?

Or may I ask in this way , is there any graphical performance different while with E5-2697v2 or E5-2667v2 ?

Thank you so much for your advice !!

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Hi All ! Im from Hong Kong and new to here !
It's so amazing that there is a such big community to help out people who has different kind of question about Mac !

May I ask that , should I upgrade to the more cores E5-2697v2 CPU but with lower clock speed , or higher CPU clock speed like E5-2667v2 but with less cores , in order to have better graphical performance in general ?

Or may I ask in this way , is there any graphical performance different while with E5-2697v2 or E5-2667v2 ?

Thank you so much for your advice !!
Hello Kacter,

Welcome to the MacRumors community!

Regarding possible upgrades to your (late) 2013 Mac Pro, it depends on what you'll be using the machine for. What are the primary tasks that you will be using it for?

richmlow

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
12 Core 2.7 will always give you best all around performance.
Most software today recognizes and utilizes multi core CPU's
The 12 Core is also greener than higher frequency less core options.
It consumes less electricity at full throttle.

KACTER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
Hello Kacter,

Welcome to the MacRumors community!

Regarding possible upgrades to your (late) 2013 Mac Pro, it depends on what you'll be using the machine for. What are the primary tasks that you will be using it for?

richmlow
Playing games . ?

And also some FCPX as well .

I’d like to upgrade a CPU that can lead the graphic perform better .

KACTER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
12 Core 2.7 will always give you best all around performance.
Most software today recognizes and utilizes multi core CPU's
The 12 Core is also greener than higher frequency less core options.
It consumes less electricity at full throttle.
Upgrading to E5-2697v2 of course would be no brainier .

I’m also thinking about the E5-2667v2 or E5-2673v2 which has higher single core speed .

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
not many games on the Mac side.
Hope you plan on installing Windows 10 under bootcamp to run your games.
All the reviews I read on the CPU options for the 2013 Mac Pro the 12 core 2.7 GHZ came out ahead in most tests.
Definitely get the 12 core if you will be using Final Cut Pro.

KACTER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
not many games on the Mac side.
Hope you plan on installing Windows 10 under bootcamp to run your games.
All the reviews I read on the CPU options for the 2013 Mac Pro the 12 core 2.7 GHZ came out ahead in most tests.
Definitely get the 12 core if you will be using Final Cut Pro.
Thank you very much for your advice !!

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I just want to add make sure you follow Apple's directions and not any 3rd party tutorials or YouTube videos. Several people have come onto the forum reporting serious problems with their 6,1 after they installed a new CPU. If you don't have a copy of the service manual it is posted here: #3
Make sure you have the correct tools including the specified torque screwdriver.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015

Less cores, higher clockspeed would be better for games. FCPX might perform best with more cores, depending on what you do with it.

I think the 6-core is already pretty good as a starting point, the 8-core probably the best all-round choice but hardly any difference in games. From what has been posted in this forum, the 12-core is better suited to rendering and apparently noticeably slower for anything else - while running a bit hot.

KACTER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
I just want to add make sure you follow Apple's directions and not any 3rd party tutorials or YouTube videos. Several people have come onto the forum reporting serious problems with their 6,1 after they installed a new CPU. If you don't have a copy of the service manual it is posted here: #3
Make sure you have the correct tools including the specified torque screwdriver.
Thanks for your information !

I will follow the ifixit guild as refernece too .

KACTER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
Less cores, higher clockspeed would be better for games. FCPX might perform best with more cores, depending on what you do with it.

I think the 6-core is already pretty good as a starting point, the 8-core probably the best all-round choice but hardly any difference in games. From what has been posted in this forum, the 12-core is better suited to rendering and apparently noticeably slower for anything else - while running a bit hot.
Yes , after some days i found that the 8-core is the sweet spot .

Now think about which CPU to choose :
E5-1680v2 ( Apple stock one , Turbo 3.9GHz *Didn’t support LRDIMM )
E5-2667v2 ( Turbo 4GHz )
E5-2673v2 ( Same Turbo 4GHz but less TDP )
E-2687wv2 ( Higher base clock 3.4GHz , higher TDP )

By the way , I’m think about the 32GB LRDIMM too , if the nMP support LRDIMM , I probably go for 2667v2 or 2673v2 .

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
I went for availability and price, and ended up to 2690v2 because of a sudden local offer.
I would leave 2687w out of the equation, the thermals don't need any more extra wattage in there.

I think they are all good and very close to each other. Just put fingers crossed that you get a working one straight away and don't need to go with returns and quarrels.

I often use cpubenchmark.net to compare:
1623300280699.png

Last edited:

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Yes , after some days i found that the 8-core is the sweet spot .

Now think about which CPU to choose :
E5-1680v2 ( Apple stock one , Turbo 3.9GHz *Didn’t support LRDIMM )
E5-2667v2 ( Turbo 4GHz )
E5-2673v2 ( Same Turbo 4GHz but less TDP )
E-2687wv2 ( Higher base clock 3.4GHz , higher TDP )

By the way , I’m think about the 32GB LRDIMM too , if the nMP support LRDIMM , I probably go for 2667v2 or 2673v2 .

Go with the CPU that has the lowest TDP and runs the coolest. The Performance differences will be so marginal you'll never notice them. This computer however has a bit of an issue staying cool as it is. I believe the default 8-core was downclocked a hair for this reason (as well as the GPUs).

Reactions: mikas

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
^ That is a sound advice. According to that thinking one would want 2673v2, 110W vs 130W all the others.

Reactions: th0masp

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I suggest to buy a 6,1 that already has the CPU you want from the factory. It’s too risky to change the CPU on these just to save a little money.

If you decide on 8 core I suggest the stock one, E5-1680 v2. There is little performance difference between any of the 8 core CPUs. The E5-2667 v2 runs hot and the E5-2673 v2 doesn’t really provide benefits.

My main machine is an 8 core and I like it, but if I was upgrading I would choose the 12 core. I think it’s faster for most real world tasks.

Also, the 6,1 is not a gaming machine. You can play games, but make sure you up the fan speed with an app like iStat Menus or else the GPUs will overheat. Microsoft Windows may also corrupt the firmware like it does on the 5,1 so I suggest to avoid installing Windows unless it’s in a VM like VMWare Fusion. Build yourself a PC for game playing.

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Just received a 1680 v2. Zoomed in immediately with a magnifying glass of course, and took close-up pictures too.

What do you think has been going on with this one?
The pins/pads have been positioned in a different manors multiple times, at least four times it seems. And some of those marks are pretty close to the edge of the pad.

Four pin marks can be seen in the second lowest row at the left most pad. And they are inconsistently spread, one mark in the middle, on the edge, or both cases on on pad and so on..

I don't know what to think about it, though I don't care if it works. Maybe I should test it in an easy to access PC case first. Mac Pro case and assembly is not particularly comfortable to work with and troubleshoot CPUs.

1636707550864.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.