Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
I have a 60gb Maxtor internal drive, model D540x-4k, that I took out of an old pc that I would like to use for random storage.

I'm kinda new to doing this so I thought I would ask for some advice. Basically I am not sure exactly what I need to get. I don't care if its usb2.0 or firewire, but I would prefer firewire. I also want something cheap as this is just a spare drive. Any ideas on what to get/where to buy?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I assume you mean the D540x-4K. That's a 3.5" drive with an ATA interface. OWC has a good reputation for their enclosures, and if all you want is Firewire you might want have a look at this one.

If you'd like to have better connectivity like USB2.0 in addition to Firewire or if you want FW800, they have more expensive options as well...see the first group on this page.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
I assume you mean the D540x-4K. That's a 3.5" drive with an ATA interface. OWC has a good reputation for their enclosures, and if all you want is Firewire you might want have a look at this one.

If you'd like to have better connectivity like USB2.0 in addition to Firewire or if you want FW800, they have more expensive options as well...see the first group on this page.

yes, the D540x, my mistake. Thanks for the links!

actually I'll probably end up doing the same eventually with my old G3 ibooks hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.