Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Hi all. I've searched around for this topic and haven't been able to find anything that answers my questions.

I have a 10 year old child who has the last iPod Touch with iOS 15.4.1 installed. No Apple ID is logged into iOS or anything on the device. However, I used my Apple ID to install a few games a few months ago. I also put some music on his Touch via my computer using my Apple ID. But again, nobody is logged into the device right now.

My son would like to use iMessage with friends and thus I would need to set up an Apple ID for him. On a side note, he is 10 years old so that causes problems creating Apple ID and also an email (unless I lie about his age).

So here are my questions after I create him an Apple ID:

1)Can he only sign in to 1 area of the iPod Touch (iMessage in this case) and not into iOS in the Settings area? Or when he signs into any (or a select few) Apple app on the iPod Touch does Apple sign him into the whole device? To be clear, I don't want to have him sign into iMessage and then Apple signs him in to the entire iPod Touch (again, in Settings) and/or the App store.

2)Is it possible to have him be signed in to iMessage yet allow me to sign into the App Store when he wants to buy/download a game? Or does the iPod Touch force you to ever only use 1 Apple ID anywhere on the device (either forever (meaning if I enter a new Apple ID Apple wipes the device) or while the iPod is in use). Example of what I would prefer NOT to happen: it would require him to sign out of iMessage, give me the iPod, I sign into App store and get a game, then I sign out of App Store, and then he signs back into iMessage. That would be cumbersome. I would prefer to keep him signed into iMessage and I sign in and out of App Store.

3)Will any mucking around with logging in/out with different Apple IDs erase his games, music (which only comes from my computer with my Apple ID), photos, etc.?

4)Are there other pieces I am not thinking about?

Thank you very much for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.