Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
i won the iMac G3, paid and then after several days without any communication, I received e-mails from PayPal and eBay informing me that the sale had been cancelled and my money had been refunded on the grounds that "Buyer asked to cancel the order" except I didn't ask to cancel the order! They've now relisted the iMac.

This seems suspect, as if it didn't fetch the price they'd hoped for and have exploited eBay's system to have another chance at a better sale. I certainly wouldn't want to give them my money after this behaviour but can I complain about their behaviour? I definitely didn't ask for the order to be cancelled.

EDIT: I complained to eBay and they agreed with my assessment of the situation and advised me to leave negative feedback warning others about their behaviour and they'll also take action against the seller because instead of behaving this way, they should've just set a reserve.

Last edited:

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
i won the iMac G3, paid and then after several days without any communication, I received e-mails from PayPal and eBay informing me that the sale had been cancelled and my money had been refunded on the grounds that "Buyer asked the cancel the order" except I didn't ask to cancel the order! They've now relisted the iMac.

This seems suspect, as if it didn't fetch the price they'd hoped for and have exploited eBay's system to have another chance at a better sale. I certainly wouldn't want to give them my money after this behaviour but can I complain about their behaviour? I definitely didn't ask for the order to be cancelled.

EDIT: I complained to eBay and they agreed with my assessment of the situation and advised me to leave negative feedback warning others about their behaviour and they'll also take action against the seller because instead of behaving this way, they should've just set a reserve.

I've had a seller do this recently with some Mac Pro RAM, I was the only bidder at 0.99p (though ridiculous 50 euro shipping), and he cancelled the order. Negative feedback soon followed.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@r6mile @TheShortTimer I actually had something like this happen once several years ago. Bought a PowerBook G4 12" complete in-box, and the seller canceled the order and refunded the money.

They cited a reason why, although I don't remember it now.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I've found an iMac G3 2000 slot loading model - but it has a couple of cracks in the ceramic area surrounding the CRT that's located underneath the exterior plastic. Is this a warning sign that the machine has been subjected to rough handling or mistreatment and if so, should I pass?

philgxxd

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2017
Malaga, Spain
It probably got a little bump but I know that especially this grey plastic gets extremly brittle so best case scenario you would only have to glue it back together...

Edit: After re-reading your post I'm not sure I did understand it well.
You are talking about the plastic ?

Last edited:

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
It probably got a little bump but I know that especially this grey plastic gets extremly brittle so best case scenario you would only have to glue it back together...

Edit: After re-reading your post I'm not sure I did understand it well.
You are talking about the plastic ?

It's probably easier if I show you. Here's the cracks on one machine:

s-l1600.jpg

Here's some further examples of cracks on another machine:

s-l1600.jpg

If an iMac G3 exhibits these cracks, should they be avoided?

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
The only time I’ve seen the interior plastic fracture like that on an imacg3 was when a unit was dropped.

I had a blueberry slot loader drop from 6ft up in a closet due to my nosey cat Kenny poking around. Cracked the bezel like crazy but the thing still started up without issue. The rattling bits inside really bugged me so I took the time to remove those plastic bits.

I personally wouldn’t pay money for one with cracks like that. There are still enough undamaged ones in the wild for a good price for me to fork over money for a jacked up one that most likely was dropped or experienced some form of blunt trauma.

Last edited:

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
My Lime G3 has the interior plastic cracker very badly like that picture. It still works great and it’s hardly noticeable from the front. It arrived to me that way but I kept if because I wanted lime. That cream colored plastic they used is ridiculously brittle after 20 years.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I suppose a lot of the moulded plastics used in the last few decades in all sorts of manufacturing has become brittle with age too. Having it so close to a source of heat cycling up and down probably accelerated the decay process. I dare say nobody at Apple really expected any of these iMacs to be still in any sort of use after 20 years.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I appreciate the feedback. :) Cosmetic concerns aren't really that major an issue (within reason!), I'll always prioritise functionality and operability but I'm now somewhat wary if as @RhianB has warned that it could be a sign of blunt trauma at some point.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
I have the opportunity to buy a Lenovo ThinkPad T530 for $160 including shipping (and an extra $15 can get a full refurb job). It has the laptop, a docking station, and a power brick. Is it worth it?

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK

Yay or nay?

It's a yay for me. :)

I have the opportunity to buy a Lenovo ThinkPad T530 for $160 including shipping (and an extra $15 can get a full refurb job). It has the laptop, a docking station, and a power brick. Is it worth it?

I've had a look at the U.S. prices on eBay and if it's in good condition that seems like a good deal because the majority of machines at that price are beat up and worn out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.