Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maleykith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2023
Hi everyone, thanks for reading!

I have found the following available 14" configs in my area and I would appreciate some tips on which would be the best bang for my buck. I don't have any laptop right now so this is not an upgrade, and I do programming, some indie game development and ideally would like to play around with machine learning.

I don't particularly value a big SSD although I feel 512 is a bit short, and basically want to try to stay under $4K unless it just makes sense to get a higher option. I also heard the M3 max 14" fans can be loud and the machine ends up being throttled under load.

M1 Max - 10 CPU / 32 GPU - 64GB RAM - 2TO SSD - €3400 - Seems good value
M2 Max - 12 CPU / 38GPU - 32GB RAM - 1TO SSD - €3700 - Better than M1 with 64GB?
M2 Max - 12 CPU / 38GPU - 64GB RAM - 512GB SSD - €3700 - Worth sacrificing SSD for more RAM?
M3 Max - 14 CPU / 30GPU - 36GB RAM - 1TO SSD - €4000 - Overkill? Throttling issues?
M3 Max - 16 CPU / 40GPU - 64GB RAM - 1TO SSD - €4800 - Overkill? Throttling issues?

Mayochupy

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2023
Though I only have an M2 and the only editing I do is imovie which runs like a charm. I would most lilkey go with M3 max though the fans may be loud the speeds look pretty good.

Mayochupy

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2023
Though I only have an M2 and the only editing I do is imovie which runs like a charm. I would most lilkey go with M3 max though the fans may be loud the speeds look pretty good.
To be more specific I would do the 64gb of ram option with 16 cpu and 40 gpu if price isn't a issue. But don't listen to me because im not the most experienced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.