Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applelover4u

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
So i have a client that will sell used motorcycles that he buys broken and fixes and rebuild. He dont anticipate having more then maybe 5 motorcycles at a time to sell and would like a website to showcase his business and the cycles and for people to inquire about buying so that they can contact him to come and meet and buy. The client does this on the side and does not have a brick and motor building.

Which type of website would you build or use? Wordpress or pure html?

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
So i have a client that will sell used motorcycles that he buys broken and fixes and rebuild. He dont anticipate having more then maybe 5 motorcycles at a time to sell and would like a website to showcase his business and the cycles and for people to inquire about buying so that they can contact him to come and meet and buy. The client does this on the side and does not have a brick and motor building.

Which type of website would you build or use? Wordpress or pure html?
If the turnaround of these motorcycles is high, it might make more sense to go with a CMS, given that he has the time/will to update the site frequently with the new incoming products.
If he doesn't, then go with pure HTML. But that's something you need to talk about with the client.

Reactions: applelover4u

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2015
The problem today isn't really about how you create it (4 weeks). It's more about how you maintain and use it (5 years).

Seriously, I've been creating websites with WordPress since 2007 and I've tried so often to switch to something else because I believe WordPress is losing it's cool in some way. Especially when it comes to smaller sites that only holds 15 - 25 pages you should be able to use something else but the problem I really face every single time is everything you do AFTER you're finished building the site and start using it.

- Google Search Console (integration)
- Google/Piwik Analytics (web stats) from the WP dashboard
- Simple redirecting your 404 pages
- SEO insight and help creating content
- and a lot more..

I mean, often you create a site for your neighbour and he's not really into computers and all tech stuff the same way we are but he knows his way around on his computer and in Facebook. The WordPress dashboard (or any CMS) can be a little overwhelming when you see it at first because it's difficult to understand how it works but when you click around for a few hours you start to get the picture what it can do and how it works.

Most questions I get form people after a few weeks working with their sites is, why does X website rank above me in Google when I type blablabla.. This is so frustrating to explain and it will take lot's of your time because it's based on so many factors that you can't control.

Just imagine telling someone starting a brand new business that they can't really rank very high in Google just because they are starting fresh and all other businesses are online for 5+ years. It's the truth - you can only rank high with a brand new site on broader search phrases, like 3 or 4 (lower volume) keywords in a single question because the competition isn't so steep on those questions. It's kinda depressing if you think about it without creating a site already. It's not very positive and it doesn't motivate people to explorer the internet neither.
This person on topic probably knows everything about motorcycles, his passion is about motorcycles and fixing them not about spending hours online researching how Google and other marketing for his business works - Yack.

What I always do is, I downplay their expectations a little bit so they don't expect they have 300 daily vistors tomorrow just because they have their own website online now. After that I install them a very good WordPress SEO plugin next to the above features list.. I let them focus more about adding content + good content at first instead of searching themselves and not knowing why they don't rank for those searches yet.. Seriously, click the screenshot below to see what I mean. This feature is probably the most important reason I still use WordPress today. There are probably a lot of cool easy to use software online for creating websites but this part is where a CMS will always outcompete any other software. Integration with the internet vs static sites and using 25 standalone tools, logging into them to get some insight about your online business.

Screenshot

Everybody can 'understand' what they see in this screenshot because it guides you around. When you create a new page and you're doing it wrong you'll see red coloured dots telling you it's not very good and below you'll get some tips about how to fix it. Changing your content a little bit, for example, adding an image or url to another page on this page results in an orange colour (better score) <--- see that's positive and improvement. Instead of telling someone they can't do X thing you give them something they probably still don't really understand in the basics but when they do it right they'll get positive feedback and after a while you'll see proven results.

I have so much success with this. Because people will (1) start creating better content. (2) are more focus about their own site and adding content. (3) stop wildly searching themselves and hoping to see their own site but instead start searching for the pages they just created based on the keywords they want to rank for.
...and when they do show up after 5 or 6 days at the bottom of page #1 in Google they call you happy and tell you it's working.

It's all about how you use good tools todays and how they integrate with each other. Seriously I really wish WordPress wasn't my go to tool because it frustrates me on a daily base creating sites for it and it's the same as Apple. I have become less fan favourite of the brand over the years because all the fancy stuff they are adding. But in the meantime, you can't say it's bad. macOS or iOS isn't bad by foundation, the software that Apple creates on top of this foundation isn't what it was in the early days and thats makes us feel bad but our foundation macOS + iOS is still the best together, Mac and iPhone or iPad play nice together with iCloud sync (not iCloud Drive) in the middle. Lucky for us we can install 3rd party software and that's totally what WordPress does too. Those plugins (above) are really the reason why I still like to use it.

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
The honest answer is what does the client need? Will he need to update things himself after? Pure HTML should be used when a page is static and not really needing updates. It sounds like his will, in which case a CMS of some kind makes sense.

applelover4u

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks for the tips. It probably wont need updating much and he said he will want me to do all the security, updating and product updating.

He will only have no more then 5 motorcycles at once or so and from what he said they probably wont be selling to fast at first. It will be a small website with a blog so maybe a 6 page website

As for as google he will have to pay extra for that, all that I'm doing is building the simple website or I will probably just use a word press theme.

For the most part website will be word of mouth and he just want a site to show want he have and hand out business cards. A small simple website

Nobody will be purchasing the motorcycles off the website so what I'm thinking is buying a wordpress cms theme from themeforest or somewhere and tweaking it out and adding the other stuff

HTML is out the question now that i think of it because he said it may expand in the future and and may have many more motorcyles at once and the option for buyers to pay via the website maybe. But as of right now the website is just to show the motorcycle pictures and description with contact info etc

So what do you all think? Is there any free themes i can use? Can I still use CMS even if buyers will not be paying through the website?

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
Thanks for the tips. It probably wont need updating much and he said he will want me to do all the security, updating and product updating.

He will only have no more then 5 motorcycles at once or so and from what he said they probably wont be selling to fast at first. It will be a small website with a blog so maybe a 6 page website

As for as google he will have to pay extra for that, all that I'm doing is building the simple website or I will probably just use a word press theme.

For the most part website will be word of mouth and he just want a site to show want he have and hand out business cards. A small simple website

Nobody will be purchasing the motorcycles off the website so what I'm thinking is buying a wordpress cms theme from themeforest or somewhere and tweaking it out and adding the other stuff

HTML is out the question now that i think of it because he said it may expand in the future and and may have many more motorcyles at once and the option for buyers to pay via the website maybe. But as of right now the website is just to show the motorcycle pictures and description with contact info etc

So what do you all think? Is there any free themes i can use? Can I still use CMS even if buyers will not be paying through the website?
The wordpress directory has tons of free themes that you can use, though you should also consider creating your own theme. Regarding your second question: Of course, you can.

GoJames4

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2017
I was a wordpress fan for years until my web host had major problems with my database. Now I code backend stuff by hand so I know what the heck is wrong with it if something's broken.

I'm not a fan of the monthly subscription services... Would you not be okay with a drag and drop designer since your website is so simple?

applelover4u

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I was a wordpress fan for years until my web host had major problems with my database. Now I code backend stuff by hand so I know what the heck is wrong with it if something's broken.

I'm not a fan of the monthly subscription services... Would you not be okay with a drag and drop designer since your website is so simple?

Im fine with it, it just that I never used a drag and drop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.