Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fredf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
I'm looking to buy an extra magsafe power adaptor on ebay. the MBA adaptor is 45W and all the ones on ebay are 60W (for macbook) or 85W (for MBPro). can i use either of these interchangeably with the MBA? I have the 1.86, SSD 2nd generation MBA.

Thanks

fredf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
You have to buy a 45W adapter for the Macbook Air. 60/85W adapters are interchangeable between the MB and MBP, but the plugs won't allow the MBA to sit on a flat surface.

Thanks for that. Is it just a 'cosmetic' issue of the plugs not allowing it to sit flat or is there also an electronic issue of it not working? From what I understand one can use the higher wattage adapters on the MBA, the reason Apple supplies only a 45W unit is because it is smaller in keeping with the form factor of the MBA.

Is this correct?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Thanks for that. Is it just a 'cosmetic' issue of the plugs not allowing it to sit flat or is there also an electronic issue of it not working? From what I understand one can use the higher wattage adapters on the MBA, the reason Apple supplies only a 45W unit is because it is smaller in keeping with the form factor of the MBA.

Is this correct?

It's mostly mechanical. The MBA magsafe connects with the cord at a 90 degree angle to the pins, to allow it to attach yet not interfere with how the MBA sits on the desk.

If you were to put the MBA with the edge hanging over the side, there'd be no problem using one of the other adapters though.

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
i have my MBA propped up on a stand(mostly to allow better heat dissipation), in a way that I could connect the regular 60/85W adapter.
I plan to purchase a 85W adapter to charge my MBA, since the 45W adapter takes a ridiculously long time to charge (1:30 to charge the last 10%). Does anyone know if MBA charges a lot faster on the 85W. Other people have already confirmed that 60/85W charges faster, but I'm just curious as to how much faster it is on the 85W.
I don't really care about depleting the cells in battery, since I can always have it replaced by Applecare if the battery no longer holds the charges (i'm still a long way from the 200 charge cycle counts)

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
You can use a 60W or 85W magsafe adapter with an Air. The only issue is that it won't be able to sit flat.

I have a spare 85W charger that I have played around with, and it makes little to no difference in terms of charge time, etc. It only becomes problematic if you are under specifying the input (eg. trying to use a 60W power supply with a machine that needs 85W. In this case, you can either run the machine or charge the battery).

fredf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
The prices on ebay seem about the same for 60W and 85 (the 45W seem rarer and are twice the price).
If I decided to go for 60W OR 80W adapter is there anything to choose between those 2?
My son has a macbook pro so I figure I might as well get the 85W so he can use it as well.
Does that make sense?

thanks again

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I recently purchased 2 45w adapters, OEM in sealed boxes and they work perfectly. $39 each on ebay, there looked to be plenty on there, I'm surprised you can't find any.

fredf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
I recently purchased 2 45w adapters, OEM in sealed boxes and they work perfectly. $39 each on ebay, there looked to be plenty on there, I'm surprised you can't find any.

There are currently only about 8 on eBay and the cheapest new one is over $60 delivered to Canada--a new Apple one is $79. It's only a saving of $19. A saving, I guess, but doesn't seem like much.

eckndu

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2008
It only becomes problematic if you are under specifying the input (eg. trying to use a 60W power supply with a machine that needs 85W. In this case, you can either run the machine or charge the battery).

so i guess it's not even worth mentioning that 45W magsafe wont be able to handle a MBP, even without battery charging?
I really like the 90 degree orientation on the MBA's magsafe... I'm curious to know if it's easy to swap a MBA's magsafe plug onto a 85W unit? has anyone done this before?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I tested both MBA and MBP adapters on my rev C MBA. Both from completely dead fully charged in approximately same time. Futhermore, the MBP charger has to be plugged in while the MBA is overhanging edge of desk. Basically, it's a pain in the arse! Another thing, the 24" LED ACD is the best charging station possible. It's like the perfect docking station and it has the MBA style adapter. I highly recommend it for $599 refurbished. I have one MBA charger at my couch, leave one in bag, and use one from ACD at desk. It is the absolute perfect setup!

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
An 85W with the right angle connector would be perfect for travel... since we have a MBP and MBA. I do not think one is made... but I would certainly buy one if available. Has anyone ever seen such a beast?

/Jim

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I have a MBA on a stand that I charge on when I'm at home using an old MBP 85W adapter. It works fine, however, (and I could be crazy here), I do notice lower battery life on it when I use it. Whenever I travel and use only the 45W adapter, I get significantly better battery life--adding up to an hour and a half.

I believe I've heard rumblings about this here on the forums, which is why it could just be all my mine (and apparently others') head(s). :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.