Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertandrews

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
I’ve used my trusty iMac 5k 27inch (2015) for many years and loved it. I have a separate, even older MacBook Air for mobile use and just used shared online drives.

Now I’m looking at a new MacBook Pro M3-Pro 16-inch coming into the environment. Great machine - but I would really want to run it on a monitor, rather than as a laptop. This would allow me to have a single computer.

I’ve never connected a laptop to a monitor, and am inexperienced on what I need to know…

What do I need to know to find a monitor at least as good and at least as big as my iMac?

• The iMac specs apparently are: 5120‑by‑2880 resolution with support for millions of colors, Retina 5K display with IPS technology. Some of the recommended monitors I’m seeing come it as a lower resolution than that, ie 3840 x 2160 (4K, right?). Isn’t that going to look noticeably worse? Anything more than that seems to come in at a hefty price. I’m not a video or photo pro, but I wouldn’t want to step backwards. Is it the case that, actually, the monitor on my 9-year-old iMac is still amazing by modern standards, or… ?
  • What if I also would want to display a MacBook Air M2 15-inch, maybe swap between the two with a button press for ease? Am I looking at different capabilities between the two, and how would I swap between? (I think it has previously come down to: the Pro can support dual monitors and the Air can’t, is that right?).
  • Any ways to use the iMac as a display? I have looked into this (Target Display Mode) and my understanding is that the iMac and the laptop would each need to be running some specific older versions of macOS. But I also see this gadget called Luna Display - some reviewers seem to be in a place like me: familiar with the nice iMac 5k display, but moving to a laptop. Any thoughts?
  • Would a TV be a good option? If so, what kind of features should I be looking at buying and avoiding?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The only thing that’s going to look like your iMac is a 5K display. Anything else isn’t going to look as good. Will it be good enough? That’s a question you have to answer.

I really don’t understand the logic where people will spend thousands of dollars for a computer but don’t want to spend more than a few hundred dollars on the thing that they see everything on. The monitor is your interface into the computer so if it looks like crap, your experience is going to be poor. I understand everyone has a budget so I kind of get it but I also think some people just don’t want to spend money because they’re used to buying a $200 monitor and calling it a day.

A television is good for what is designed for. If you want to watch movies or YouTube videos on your Mac, then it would be perfect. If you’re trying to type spreadsheets or do something where you need to see details clearly maybe not so much.

My advice is if you can afford it, get the Apple display or look for a 5K LG monitor. If that’s too much for your budget, then find a decent 4K monitor.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Buy the Studio Display. It'll save you lots of money on 4k monitors that don't live up to your expectations and you'll end up with one anyway. Oh and because it's not got an iMac stuck inside it, you don't have to throw it away after 8 years if it's still working.

Buying mine only hurt for a small amount of time. And I only had to consume only ramen for a couple of months :)

robertandrews

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
I really don’t understand the logic where people will spend thousands of dollars for a computer but don’t want to spend more than a few hundred dollars on the thing that they see everything on. The monitor is your interface into the computer so if it looks like crap, your experience is going to be poor. I understand everyone has a budget so I kind of get it but I also think some people just don’t want to spend money because they’re used to buying a $200 monitor and calling it a day.
In my case, the iMac has been my personal work computer for many years (the power is starting to show its age), and now a new employer is supporting a work-from-home role, providing the laptop and a monitor that is both smaller and lower-resolution.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
In my case, the iMac has been my personal work computer for many years (the power is starting to show its age), and now a new employer is supporting a work-from-home role, providing the laptop and a monitor that is both smaller and lower-resolution.
I wouldn’t focus too much on the lower resolution because (part of) what effects your experience is the PPI. For example you can have a 15” 1080 P screen and it will look good but a 32” 1080P screen is horrendous.

If you’re on a budget, perhaps buy a 27” 4K monitor from someplace that has a good return policy. It might be perfect for what you need and perhaps you’ll be happy with it. If not, you can return it and consider going with something better.

Reactions: robertandrews

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Buy the Studio Display. It'll save you lots of money on 4k monitors that don't live up to your expectations and you'll end up with one anyway. Oh and because it's not got an iMac stuck inside it, you don't have to throw it away after 8 years if it's still working.

Buying mine only hurt for a small amount of time. And I only had to consume only ramen for a couple of months :)
This is definitely the choice if you want the same level of quality as the iMac. I was one of these people that cheaped out on the monitor till I bought a 24” iMac, and then realized what I was missing. Now I can’t go back.

robertandrews

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
... and integrated webcam and speakers would remove the need to buy those extras, I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.