Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
As you can see in the description, I really need someone familiar with Verizon's policies to help with this question. So, I'm currently away from the US for a few months, and I am not using my Verizon number whatsoever. I am on a shared data plan with one other family member and we've crunched the numbers and we discovered it'd be cheaper to accept the ETF than it will to keep my line on the account the whole time.

Here's the complicated part. The other family member on the account called Verizon on my behalf and asked if it'd be possible to
A) ETF the line and then...
B) Also keep the line on the account for just $10 a month

They said this was not possible, and that the only options would either be to ETF the line which would automatically recycle my current Verizon number in 30 days or to just keep the line on the account. My biggest concern is keeping my current Verizon number upon returning because that would be a headache to get a new number...

So, my question is whether Verizon is correct. I know there are often unknowledgeable phone reps so I'm hesitant to believe they can't simply ETF my line then just accept $10 a month for the next few months in order to keep my rights to the phone number on the account.

I know there are other options (suspending a line), but I figure I might as well just ETF the line so I will be able to get the new iPhone when I return in a few months time.

I really appreciate any and all feedback! Thank you!

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
You can "suspend" the account for 90 days. Not sure how many times you can do this. Call them and ask about suspending the account.

----------

Oops, missed the part about you already knowing about that.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Once a line is terminated or ported, the number is gone and cannot easily be recovered. Maybe look at a dirt cheap prepaid provider and port the number to them until you are back and ready to use the number again. This may not be cheaper than paying out the contract, however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.