Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tejasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
I understand that this is a classic question that has been asked at various points in time, and the answers differ on the options available.

I'm an absolutely newbie at macs and have been analyzing options for quite some time now.

My primary needs:

1. Wordprocessing, workbooks and presentations
2. Internet, Email
3. netflix, hulu, youtube occasionally

The options:

1. 2011 2.3 Ghz, 4 GB from apple online store for 1199
2. 2010 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB from apple online refurb section for 899

i'm considering low ends because of budgetary constraints as well as strong rumors about redesign in 2012. I cannot wait for 2012 machine since my current ibm thinkpad is nearing it's death but I don't want to end up with a high end 2011 if a newer design is due in 2012.

So what would be the optimal choice considering the primary usage needs? Please advise.

Last edited:

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
My primary needs:

1. Wordprocessing, workbooks and presentations
2. Internet, Email
3. netflix, hulu, youtube occasionally

You can think of getting a 13" Refurb Air instead - the SSD more than makes up for the lower end processor. It is bound to be faster than the hard disk based Pro.

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
For what you are doing - I would not bother with the 2011 line up.
I do similar things and have not noticed much improvement over my 2009 MBP - simply because nothing I do pushes the processor....

Also my 2011 is having some issues with wifi and it seems a common problem.

I would also second the macbook air suggestion - great for portability and will look good at presentations, a dream to carry around and can always hook up to a monitor at home for when you want a bigger screen

tejasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
honestly, i always thought that MBP will not be able to support office 2011 for mac. wouldn't there be any lag if i fire up word, excel, powerpoint at the same time? the machine that i buy is going to be my primary machine.

other option that comes to my mind now is - mbp refurb 2010 - custom upgrade to a smaller ssd. with 4 gb, this should be a killer combo in a budget.

any thoughts?

Nov 28, 2010
located
honestly, i always thought that MBP will not be able to support office 2011 for mac. wouldn't there be any lag if i fire up word, excel, powerpoint at the same time? the machine that i buy is going to be my primary machine.

other option that comes to my mind now is - mbp refurb 2010 - custom upgrade to a smaller ssd. with 4 gb, this should be a killer combo in a budget.

any thoughts?

My 2007 iMac, my 2008 MB and my 2009 MBP all have no problems running MS Office 2011. If you open up several applications at once (it doesn't have to be MS Office, it can be anything bigger like iTunes or iPhoto or iMovie or Photoshop) the opening of the applications will slow down if you have HDD as storage device, as the HDD is the slowest component of a computer nowadays.
If you would go for an MBA, that would be eradicated. But whatever you buy, upgrade the Mac to 4GB (the MBA can#t be upgraded later, the MBPs can (and it is cheaper that way).

tejasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
@simsaladimbamba - the links are really helpful.

how about this - getting a 4 GB 2010 MBP and adding a low cost ssd? wouldnt be that like best of both the worlds? faster processor with ssd...

i have my doubts about macbook air running several apps seamlessly considering the low cpu config...

Nov 28, 2010
located
@simsaladimbamba - the links are really helpful.

how about this - getting a 4 GB 2010 MBP and adding a low cost ssd? wouldnt be that like best of both the worlds? faster processor with ssd...

i have my doubts about macbook air running several apps seamlessly considering the low cpu config...

That would work. OWC and Newegg have good prices on SSDs and RAM.
And the 13" MBA will be able to handle your computational needs as well, but the 2010 MBP is cheaper and more versatile.

oButto

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2011
Microcenter has the 2011 MBP for $1000. Grab that, and if you want a cheap SSD. Best of both worlds right there :).

tejasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Microcenter has the 2011 MBP for $1000. Grab that, and if you want a cheap SSD. Best of both worlds right there :).

Last I checked, micro center has it for $1099 (checked out for states of MA, NJ and NY). :confused:

Shanekarpi251

macrumors member
May 11, 2011
MN
I am in a similar situation as you right now. I'm trying to decide if its worth getting a 2011 MBP or settle with the 2010 and from the research I've been doing, I decided to spend the extra money and get the 2011 MBP. From the research I did online, the 2011 MBP is faster, more efficient and worth getting versus last years model. Your needs and uses are pretty close to mine and in my opinion, I believe a Macbook Pro 2010 or 2011 is WAY more worth it than a Macbook Air. Unless you like purchasing "outdated" technology and have limited expandability, I wouldn't recommend a Macbook Air. So with that said, my advice is get the 2011 Macbook Pro and have the satisfaction knowing you're getting the latest technology and not something that's refurbished.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Why we need 12 new recommendation threads a day, I will never understand. Everyone thinks their needs are special, therefore they need their own their own thread, but in reality every time they end up coming down to the same things... :rolleyes:

Anyways, either mac will suit your needs just fine, get whatever you can afford. Remember you buy the cheaper one now, it will be worse less when the redesign comes out if you are planning on upgrading, but you will save money today. Buy the more expensive one and you will spend more money, but you will also be able to sell it for a lot more down the road. Either way, buy the best mac you can afford if you have basic needs... almost any computer produced in the last 4 years will easily handle email and web browsing..

tejasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
I am in a similar situation as you right now. I'm trying to decide if its worth getting a 2011 MBP or settle with the 2010 and from the research I've been doing, I decided to spend the extra money and get the 2011 MBP. From the research I did online, the 2011 MBP is faster, more efficient and worth getting versus last years model. Your needs and uses are pretty close to mine and in my opinion, I believe a Macbook Pro 2010 or 2011 is WAY more worth it than a Macbook Air. Unless you like purchasing "outdated" technology and have limited expandability, I wouldn't recommend a Macbook Air. So with that said, my advice is get the 2011 Macbook Pro and have the satisfaction knowing you're getting the latest technology and not something that's refurbished.

Appreciate your viewpoint. From my research, I've come to the conclusion that refurb machines are as good as new one.

But then I hear a lot of noise about 2011 MBPs having wifi issues. Now that's a deal breaker given the fact that 2011 model doesn't give me any incremental processing speed for my minimal requirements over 2010 model. So I'm struggling to justify the extra investment in 2011 when 2010 gets my work done.

Any thoughts?

tejasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Thank you

Bought a brand new 2011 MBP 13" from micro center.

Thank you all for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.