Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msdmn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Hello,

I own a late 2009 white macbook and its hard drive is showing signs of weakness.
The SMART test's results show that the disk is 'About to Fail' and that i should backup the data and replace it.

So i wanted to have some advices on what hd to buy.

Are 7200rpm drives compatible ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Any 2.5" S-ATA HDD with a maximum height of 12.5 mm is compatible, thus a 750 GB HDD with 7,200 RPM will work.
MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I just upgraded my macbook pro from a 750gig to 1Tb. I did the swap, then used an old external adapter (firewire) to copy the old one to the new one using SuperDuper. You don't need anything else but that if you are using Snow Leopard. If using Lion and want the recovery partitions then you have to do more work that I can't describe here, or install lion on the new drive to get the partitions made, then boot from the external and use SuperDuper to copy over the old data to the new partition. You can also install new, then use the migration assistant to move the data.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
I just upgraded my macbook pro from a 750gig to 1Tb. I did the swap, then used an old external adapter (firewire) to copy the old one to the new one using SuperDuper. You don't need anything else but that if you are using Snow Leopard. If using Lion and want the recovery partitions then you have to do more work that I can't describe here, or install lion on the new drive to get the partitions made, then boot from the external and use SuperDuper to copy over the old data to the new partition. You can also install new, then use the migration assistant to move the data.

Although that being said if the OP's hard drive is beginning to fail a SuperDuper making a full back up may put the drive over the edge.

Depending on how conservative you are feeling, you may want to pull data incrementally based on priority. SuperDuper is a great program to use with healthy drives but I have seen more than my share die while in progress.

DSPalpatine

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Newegg.com has a 500 GB Scorpio black for $149. Fast, quiet, and its heat signature isn't terrible.

Any hard drive, even the best, top-of-the-line drive, will fail at some point, so make sure you have some kind of backup strategy, even with the new drive.

msdmn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Thanks

Hello,

Thank you very much guys

I ordered a Black Scorpio from amazon.

I'm also considering replacing my iMac's hardrive ( i have a feeling it is slowing the whole thing.)
I'll wait 'til i have enough info on those new hybrid disks.

Thank you again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.