Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zadok Kin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
When a new generation of iPhone's are released, how long do we typically have left to purchase the previous generation's models before they are taken off the shelves? Is there typically a time window?

I assume the next generation may deprecate the oldest models, which are the only models to contain headphone sockets. My plan is to wait and see if any of the next generation models contain a headphone socket (i.e. perhaps the cheap (assumedly) SE replacement might contain a headphone socket). If it does not, I am hoping I will have a time window to be able buy the iPhone 6S and run it for as long as possible.

(Im not interested in a debate about headphone sockets. I love iOS, but not so much that I would want to give up the headphone socket for no good reason.)

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Still a few weeks from third party. Apple pulls them immediately after the announcement.

The online shop is closed on that day and after it goes online with the changes the old models are not listed

Zadok Kin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Still a few weeks from third party. Apple pulls them immediately after the announcement.

Thanks, thats a good strategy. The local phone stores will not even know anything has changed at least for a few days. :D

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
When a new generation of iPhone's are released, how long do we typically have left to purchase the previous generation's models before they are taken off the shelves? Is there typically a time window?

Once Apple discontinues any previous model iPhones, they’re no longer available from their website or in store. Carriers will follow fairly quickly along side with Apples movements during the keynote commencement or just after.

My plan is to wait and see if any of the next generation models contain a headphone socket (i.e. perhaps the cheap (assumedly) SE replacement might contain a headphone socket).

They won’t include the 3.5 Jack. Even if an iPhone SE 2 is launched during the fall, the headphone jack is not coming back, (And no I’m not trying to entertain any arguments here), I’m simply stating the facts.

If it does not, I am hoping I will have a time window to be able buy the iPhone 6S and run it for as long as possible.

The 6S is one of the best valued iPhones right now, you may find it cheaper other than what Apple is offering through carriers or retailers, but I probably wouldn’t wait _too_ long to purchase the 6s, given Apple can be unpredictable, but it likely will be discontinued during the September keynote.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I just recently got an iPhone 6s for work and I really could not believe how well it works on the latest iOS. Great phone for the price. iOS 12 runs well on an old 6 and 5s I have so the 6s should be fine on iOS 12 especially since it has 2gb’s of RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.