Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Just got an e-mail from Affinity. Looks like Publisher will transition from Beta to v1.0 on June 20th...FINALLY! Looks like regular pricing will be consistent with their other programs at $50, however, for Beta testers they are offering a significant discount. Their website still shows Beta download with no indication of pricing, so appears offer is by email only.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
So, what's the general verdict?

I have only played around a bit with it yet, but it seems to show pretty good performance even with larger documents, and it's quite feature complete, although no InDesign killer (e.g. APb seems to lack pre-flight checks almost completely unless I missed something). A bunch of smaller bugs, but that's unfortunately on par for Affinity.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
So, what's the general verdict?

I have only played around a bit with it yet, but it seems to show pretty good performance even with larger documents, and it's quite feature complete, although no InDesign killer (e.g. APb seems to lack pre-flight checks almost completely unless I missed something). A bunch of smaller bugs, but that's unfortunately on par for Affinity.

i'm not sure, but i bought both windows & mac versions of their apps just to have backups in case as adobe alternatives. i played around with publisher for about 10 minutes to see how easy it would be to create a flyer, and it seemed pretty straight forward. sure, some of the shortcuts are gonna be different, and some stuff you're used to in indesign won't be easy to find, but the app can hold its own for creating content. at $50, or less during their promo sales, i think it's more than enough for most, especially when considering the major alternatives.

the company also offers a 14 day refund policy on the app, unlike trial versions of photo and designer.

i also tried the designer app, and it was pretty good as well. haven't tried the photo app yet.

they've release a quick start guide for the app: https://affinityspotlight.com/article/learn-how-to-use-affinity-publisher-fast/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.