Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

USMCARMY46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2024
I have a Mac Air . I now have developed serious eye issues that demand I use a larger monitor. I need advice on what is an affordable monitor I can easily connect to my Mac Air. Also, should I also purchase a larger keyboard while doing this. I am a novice and sometimes do not grasp all the technical issues. I'll try to respond if any clarifications are needed. Essentially, I use my MacAir for general home use but do have a small eBay store so need to be able to use for that and also watch Youtube movies on occasion. Should I consider a curved screen ? Easier on eyes ? Any advice appreciated. Even a used monitor would be fine if I know what to look for. Thank you.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
How big are we talking? 24", 27", 32"? If it's all the about the eyes, I'm assuming you're wanting bigger text sizes and icons, etc.

If that's the case, I'd recommend a 27" or 32" with 1920x1080 (aka 1080p) resolution. There are SO many options in this space that I'd hate to recommend one over the other. I've used Planar screens for years. Have a Viewsonic at home. Samsung, of course, makes a great screen, as well as HP, Dell, etc. And since you mentioned it, curved would only marginally help from a side-to-side head motion, but I used a 37" non-curved for years and was totally fine.

Quickly searching, there's a VA3209M from Viewsonic that is 32" and 1080p resolution. It gets pretty great reviews on Amazon and is pretty inexpensive. You'll need an HDMI to USB-C cable -OR- a USB-C adapter with HDMI port. My vote goes to the adapter, because it will also allow you to plug in standard USB things into your Air (and the monitor comes with a standard HDMI cable already). Anker is a great brand for those adapters.

Hope that helps.

PS: I meant to mention it when I posted, but totally agree with @JPack, IPS is definitely the way to go, and the VA3209M is indeed IPS.

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Another key question is your budget. I have an HP display that is 24" and ten years old and going strong. As the previous posters, most brand names are good, it comes down to preference.

Ideally, I'd get the HDMI adapter and test the monitor on your Air to see if you like it before you buy it.

I also noted via your user name you may be a vet (Public Affairs?), if the issue is service connected you may want to check with teh VA, also Apple gives vets a 10% discount if ordered online via the Veterans and Military store.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
What's your budget?

The best and most comfortable monitors will be based on an IPS Black panel, such as those available from Dell. There are also monitors with ergonomic considerations, e.g. height adjustable stand and pivot. Finally, you'll want a monitor with a USB-C connection. These all add to the price.

Curved displays, unless based on IPS, are not ideal for office use. In general, the cheap, $300 or $400 monitors with curved panels use VA which offers relatively poor viewing angles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.