Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Is anyone able to confirm that 16.3 fixes the Matter connectivity issue(s) for Eve products (Energy / Door & Window Sensors)?
I am hoping that 16.3 fixes the issues I'm having (I updated to 16.2 and the new architecture before it was pulled). So far, though, it's not showing up as available for either my HomePods or Apple TVs.

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
I am hoping that 16.3 fixes the issues I'm having (I updated to 16.2 and the new architecture before it was pulled). So far, though, it's not showing up as available for either my HomePods or Apple TVs.
16.3 sadly hasn’t fixed anything for me in HomeKit as it is still horribly broken!

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
tvOS and HomePod OS 16.3 haven’t been released yet. Those are the Home Hubs and where any fixes need to be.
Noticed that the latest software has not been released this morning (GMT), hopefully Apple are still liaising with the HomeKit suppliers ensuring that there are no connectivity issues prior to the next release...if Carlsberg do software!

Reactions: uller6

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I upgraded my HomePod minis to 16.3 and one of them took over as my Home hub and now My Ecobee thermostat and its 8 remote sensors are “Not Responding” in the Home app. They were fine before that when the Apple TV was the main hub.

I’m not home right now and there is no option to restart the Homepod minis in the Home app (only remove), so everything is broken until I at least get home.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I have updated all my devices. I have not lost any functionality from before the upgrade (so far). I have returned my automations to be based on sunrise/sunset times so we will see if they work or not tomorrow. 🤞

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
My Ecobee devices started responding about an hour after updating.

HKSV recording is still broken so I don’t think HomeKit was fixed in 16.3.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
My location sensitive (e.g. "sunrise") automations all fired this morning. As far as I know, so far, everything is working as it should for the first time since I "upgraded" to the new architecture.

Reactions: Itinj24

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
IMG_5660.jpeg

Had high hopes for 16.3 to resolve the Eve Matter devices, now I am giving up...had enough of this nonsense!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
My HomeKit secure video magically works again. After upgrading to iOS 16.3, my iPhone popped up a notification saying that my previous invitation of Home resident was not successful and suggested me to remove the resident and add back again. After adding back the resident, HomeKit finally can detect again that all home members have left the home and triggers video recording.

One of my HomePod mini also reports the temperature and humidity, but another one doesn’t and always say “no response”.

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
Following Eve support engineers on the beta program, I removed the offending matter devices from HomeKit, reset them, and added them again using the matter codes. Two days and counting and all okay… So far.
I think I have found the culprit (at least at my end!)...it was the Apple TV (I think!)

My Homehub set up: 1 Apple TV 4K (1st Gen), 1 Apple TV 4K (2nd Gen) & 2 HomePod Minis. I have now disabled both Apple TV leaving the HomePod Minis as the HomeHub (for obvious reasons!), the Eve equipment running on Matter appear to be steady...

Reactions: StumpyBloke

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
After adding back the resident, HomeKit finally can detect again that all home members have left the home and triggers video recording.

But does it actually record? My switches to video recording when I leave, but then never records anything.

I did get it to record something under 16.3 by restarting my HomePod Mini, which made my Apple TV 4K the hub (didn’t have to restart the ATV), but I haven’t tested to see how long that lasts. Under 16.2, recording would stop working in under 15 minutes requiring a restart of all the Home hubs.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
But does it actually record? My switches to video recording when I leave, but then never records anything.

I did get it to record something under 16.3 by restarting my HomePod Mini, which made my Apple TV 4K the hub (didn’t have to restart the ATV), but I haven’t tested to see how long that lasts. Under 16.2, recording would stop working in under 15 minutes requiring a restart of all the Home hubs.

Just wondering, what actual events have you got your cameras set to record? Might be worth uploading some screenshots for us to look at (of your record settings)

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Just wondering, what actual events have you got your cameras set to record? Might be worth uploading some screenshots for us to look at (of your record settings)

It’s set to record motion. I know there’s motion since the Ecobee app reports motion, but won’t record unless I pay extra.

Basically everything used to work great until I updated to 16.2 and updated the home architecture. Now it only records if I set to always record. If it switches to not record, then it won’t record again unless I restart all the Home hubs.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
My location-based automations failed to run three times now, after working one time following the OS update. Timed automations still work, but if I try to have one key off sunrise or sunset, it doesn't happen.

Very frustrating.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

The recording is working, I set it to record whenever it detects movement of a pet, so it captured a few clips of my cat moving around already when I was at work.

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
How can you tell if you are on the new architecture? I think I updated but it took only a second or two and there was no confirmation that the update worked and there is no way to check if you have updated. Everything works exactly as it did before. I don't notice any difference one way or the other. What am I missing?

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
How can you tell if you are on the new architecture? I think I updated but it took only a second or two and there was no confirmation that the update worked and there is no way to check if you have updated. Everything works exactly as it did before. I don't notice any difference one way or the other. What am I missing?
I guess the prompt to update wouldn't be there anymore once you've updated.

I'm hesitant to do so as I believe the Philips Hue lighting still isn't Matter compatible? It's what I mainly use for 3rd party accessories.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I guess the prompt to update wouldn't be there anymore once you've updated.

I'm hesitant to do so as I believe the Philips Hue lighting still isn't Matter compatible? It's what I mainly use for 3rd party accessories.
This new architecture has nothing to do with Matter. I use Philips Hue for all my lighting and no issues at all on the new architecture.

Reactions: kitKAC

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
This new architecture has nothing to do with Matter. I use Philips Hue for all my lighting and no issues at all on the new architecture.
Same. I updated everything to the newest architecture and my Hue lights seem to actually respond faster now. So there are seemingly benefits for Hue users too.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009

You can read upthread of ways to tell if you’ve upgraded. Some of the ones I recall are:

1. HomeKit removed from Settings app on iPad.
2. Option to not use Apple TV as a Home hub removed.

On a side note, I’ve had no new issues with the new architecture since the 16.4 update and the old ones were resolved with one exception. All my “known to household” faces got randomly deleted from HKSV a few weeks ago. I have no idea why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.