Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcpix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2005
I was as concerned as anyone about the new "glossy" display, but after using my new Macbook for two days, I don't want to go back. I still have my work files and other financial info on my iBook, so I needed to use it today. I couldn't believe how dull the picture looked compared to my MacBook. Yes, there is sometimes some glare or reflection, but you really don't notice it while working.

As an aside, I bought this case for my MB and it works great!
http://www.stmbags.com.au/smallalley

I love my MacBook!

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
mcpix said:
I was as concerned as anyone about the new "glossy" display, but after using my new Macbook for two days, I don't want to go back. I still have my work files and other financial info on my iBook, so I needed to use it today. I couldn't believe how dull the picture looked compared to my MacBook. Yes, there is sometimes some glare or reflection, but you really don't notice it while working.

I love my MacBook!

Well good! I'm glad you appreciate it! I personally have a vendetta against glossy screens, but I've only seen and used them in passing, not for prolonged periods of time. Perhaps my mind would also change if I used one for a few days :confused: :)

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i was at first sceptical about the glossy screens, but after usings it for a few days, its really good! I put all the laptops in my house together (my parent's TiBook which is in a stand due to broken hinges, their MacBook Pro, and my MacBook) and my one looks the brightest :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well apparently, not all glossy screens are equally as glossy. Supposedly, some other glossy screens are unbearably annoying (I read something about Gateway's glossy laptop screens here at MR), while others don't make it so bad. The Apple MB just so happens to use a glossy screen that isn't as glossy as others, and it isn't as annoying to use.

ncook06

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
I had the matte finish screen with the MBP and I figured glossy would be a step down. However, I have found it to be somewhat of a step up.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
mcpix said:

I love my MacBook!

Agreed completely...minus the reflections/glare. I haven't been able to find a place where I get them too badly. The screen is absolutely amazing though...I have the MB sitting next to my PB and the PB's screen looks terrible now. :p

jbusc

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
I went down to my local apple store the other day and played around with the MBP and the black macbook.

Now, I hadn't heard at all about the glossy screens before, so I was quite suprised when I saw it in the store. It seemed annoying at first because of the bright fluorescent lighting in the store, but I quickly got used to it. I didn't particularly like it better than the MBP screen, but it wasn't worse either. It probably won't factor in to if I buy it or not (I would get white anyway)

What I did notice was the text on the screen seemed to be remarkably small, considering its height and resolution. I hope that either it's just because I'm used to larger desktop screens, or mac ox 10.5 includes the resolution-independent graphics

Just the view from someone who hadn't been "tainted" by the speculation&rumors about the glossy screen :)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Abstract said:
Well apparently, not all glossy screens are equally as glossy. Supposedly, some other glossy screens are unbearably annoying (I read something about Gateway's glossy laptop screens here at MR), while others don't make it so bad. The Apple MB just so happens to use a glossy screen that isn't as glossy as others, and it isn't as annoying to use.
The last time I was in Akihabara I went to a couple of huge computer stores and saw row after row of laptops with glossy displays.

Personally, I do not like glossy displays. Some where downright bright and could hardly be read/used. However, some looked a lot more bearable than others. To my eye they looked more like a regular display. More subdued if you will. More like my PB15.

The new MBs seem to be of that type so they are not so bad to look at.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
sushi said:
Some where downright bright and could hardly be read/used. However, some looked a lot more bearable than others. To my eye they looked more like a regular display. More subdued if you will. More like my PB15.

Most laptops (I assume) have a brightness setting. I know mine has, and I adjust it according to where I am. So some of those laptops you saw may have just had their brightness set lower than the others.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
reflex said:
Most laptops (I assume) have a brightness setting. I know mine has, and I adjust it according to where I am. So some of those laptops you saw may have just had their brightness set lower than the others.
On the couple that I checked, this was not the case. In other words they were turned up to their brightest settings.

Additionally, some of my students have Japanese laptops and we've compared them in class.

Bottom line. All glossy displays are not the same. Sames holds true for the non-glossy/standard types.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
I also was not much of a fan of glossy screens, but the more time I spend with the new MBs at Apple, the more accepting I become of them. At least 7 or 8 people were sitting in the upstairs theatre section at the Soho store yesterday afternoon and the reflections were prominent ... yet when you are using these computers to reach a decision, a different perspective takes over. I will likely be buying one for myself soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.