Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cavi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Haifa, Israel
contains only "bug fixes"...
while Microsoft managed to bring RTL support and update numerous things in Office suite, Apple managed to fix some bugs...
no cross-references
no secondary font
no track changes in table
no document comparison
no ability to insert file (which is not a media file...)
Office compatibility can be better (try to export document which contains some tables and see what happens...).

I'm complaining a lot about iWork suite because I use this suite to run my business and I hope that Apple will improve the suite...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm complaining a lot about iWork suite because I use this suite to run my business and I hope that Apple will improve the suite
I gave up on iWork when they "upgraded" the suite a few years ago by stripping out a lot of features. Apple's track record for regular updates on its iWork suite is abysmal. If you need an office suite for your business, then I highly recommend switching over to MS Office.

Reactions: MLinneer

cavi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Haifa, Israel
I gave up on iWork when they "upgraded" the suite a few years ago by stripping out a lot of features. Apple's track record for regular updates on its iWork suite is abysmal. If you need an office suite for your business, then I highly recommend switching over to MS Office.
I don't want to switch to MS Office because I really like iWork suite. I have MS Office installed on my work computer, but In most times I find iWork apps easier to use (except several issues such as the lack of shortcuts options [only F1 to F10...] and the number of clicks I need to do in order to highlight a word...).
I don't understand why apple made so much efforts to launch new iWork cloud, mac and iOS apps but do not develop them to be really useful. as I wrote several times before, I think that TC in tables, and cross-references is a basic features (and I don't mention now the secondary fonts and so on...).
by the way, if finally I'll switch to Office I'll probably switch back to PC since the Office suite for PC is better...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I really like iWork suite.
Not to sound harsh, but then you'll need to accept the apple way, which is basically ignoring the app, for months (years?) on end, and not really adding new features.

I don't understand why apple made so much efforts to launch new iWork cloud, mac and iOS apps but do not develop them to be really useful.
Apple developed a top notch photos app, called Aperture and then just let it whither on the vine for years on end, to finally killing it for something "better" which is devoid of so many features.

I find iWork apps easier to use
I can't speak for Pages vs. Word but Excel is light years ahead of Numbers in both features, and ease of use. I find creating/editing large spreadsheets so much easier in Excel, but that's just my opinion

I'll probably switch back to PC since the Office suite for PC is better
Generally speaking that's true, though Ms has brought a lot of parity to Mac Office, and I like how easily you can use Excel on an iPad, or your computer, but that's just me.

Reactions: cavi

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just keep using OLDER, more functional versions of iWork.

They still run fine under El Capitan...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.