Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hornfrog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2015
Well after a month and the excitement has worn off find myself using the watch less and less. Left at home several times on accident and didnt even notice. I get great battery life, but hardly ever use any apps other than apple pay and telling time. Apps since the update are taking forever to load and even the degrees on opening face not showing up half the time.

Reactions: acctman

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
Sorry it didn't work out for you.

I think you already did the major test, which is to go a few days without it and see if it impacts your lifestyle. In my case it does, but if yours does not, definitely unload it while prices are high.

hornfrog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2015
Yea was thinking the same thing and have a lot of accessories for it. It looks great but finding sluggish and keeps shutting off before displaying results. Ever since update having those issues

Reactions: acctman

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
Yea was thinking the same thing and have a lot of accessories for it. It looks great but finding sluggish and keeps shutting off before displaying results. Ever since update having those issues

I love my AW Sport, but was growing concerned with the sluggishness of glances/apps and, yes, even the weather complication just showing "--". So yesterday, I restored the watch to factory settings. I should have unpaired it from the phone, first, though... simply wiping the watch made for a headache from the iOS Watch App end of things, since it still thought there was a watch out there, somewhere. I couldn't successfully pair the watch with my iPhone. It kept failing. Ugh. I ended up restoring my iPhone just to make sure and start fresh from a backup I had made, pre-watch.

Anyway, long story short, the Watch is working fast like it used to, and it is even checking my heart rate every 10 minutes. Looks like there are some software bugs for Apple to squash, but that is par for the course at this point.

You could always sell your watch for a profit or break-even, then pick up another one in the future if you decided you missed it.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
What model do you have? I was strongly considering selling my iPad Air 2 gold 16GB cellular on verizon for an apple watch. Just haven't gotten much use out of it. I use my iphone 6 plus for everything mobile.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Well after a month and the excitement has worn off find myself using the watch less and less. Left at home several times on accident and didnt even notice. I get great battery life, but hardly ever use any apps other than apple pay and telling time. Apps since the update are taking forever to load and even the degrees on opening face not showing up half the time.

So you hardly you it except for its primary function. It's a watch first and foremost, everything else is secondary. It seems like you wanted some supercomputer on your wrist, that's what the phone is for

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
The Apple Watch is a glorified fitness watch... That has apps (which are painful to use), it feels like an after thought. If the AW did not have fitness features I would have passed it up.

hornfrog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2015
So you hardly you it except for its primary function. It's a watch first and foremost, everything else is secondary. It seems like you wanted some supercomputer on your wrist, that's what the phone is for

On the contrary that's exactly the mind set I went into purchasing. Its a watch first and then everything else is gravy. However, the Gravy is extremely runny!! Im going to try and reset watch and see if that helps with running updates. Right now I can select Starbucks or the weather and the watch cuts off before information comes up.

I have the Stainless Steel along with Milanese Loop, White and Black Sport Band

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
On the contrary that's exactly the mind set I went into purchasing. Its a watch first and then everything else is gravy. However, the Gravy is extremely runny!! Im going to try and reset watch and see if that helps with running updates. Right now I can select Starbucks or the weather and the watch cuts off before information comes up.

I have the Stainless Steel along with Milanese Loop, White and Black Sport Band

Runny gravy... that's funny! Yes, try a reset/restore, and just use it for awhile without a bunch of third party "apps" just to see if it's any faster. It was for me.

I'm also assuming that the software will improve quickly, especially third party with the advent of full access to WatchKit API. I would love to see Starbucks just get on with it and offer Apple Pay / NFC at the stores. I really don't care for loyalty cards in any form.

Reactions: 01silver4

CC117

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
This is the first and only watch I have ever worn so as a watch alone, I couldn't do without it now. Getting my notifications etc is just an added bonus. I didn't go into this with too high expectations so I'm still happy a month later :D

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009

sell it

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I on the other hand, have had my Watch for two weeks and absolutely love mine. It has become an integral part of my daily routine. I am very happy with the apps I've installed and am experiencing no glitches at all with it.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Well after a month and the excitement has worn off find myself using the watch less and less. Left at home several times on accident and didnt even notice.

Historically, by the six month mark, half of people with a new wearable device have stopped using them.

It'll be interesting to see if this rule of thumb continues to hold true.

This is the first and only watch I have ever worn so as a watch alone, I couldn't do without it now. Getting my notifications etc is just an added bonus. I didn't go into this with too high expectations so I'm still happy a month later :D

This makes me curious about a couple of things, if you'll indulge me:

First, why did you never wear a watch before? Why do you find that function useful now? Is it a side effect of learning not to pull out your phone all the time?

Secondly, had you ever thought of getting a Pebble or Martian or other notification watch? Or were you not interested (or perhaps didn't know about them) until Apple made a watch?

Thanks! Curiosity killed the cat; satisfaction brought it back :p

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1

Honestly I am pretty similar. I never saw the use for a watch before the Apple Watch because I always thought it was pointless to have unless you constantly need the time. Boy was I wrong! I always wanted a Watch that did more. In fact, I almost bought the first Pebble but I stopped myself because I thought it was ugly. The Apple Watch actually looks great and does leap years more then the Pebble.

I see the Apple Watch being a continual hit as it impacts more and more peoples lives. I have yet to spend an entire day without it on my wrist since I got it on April 24th. Its just too useful!

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
Better sell it soon before the secondary market crashes. Prices are already dropping.
+1

And, if the OP wants it back, just order another and wait a bit.

I bought mine w/the intention of other trying it and if I felt it wasn't worth the $, returning it at the end of 2 weeks or selling for a slight profit. I was able to to the latter.

My iPhone 6 is my primary phone, but I wasn't sure I was the right target audience. I don't text or iMessage. I hardly receive calls. I don't use Calendar on my iPhone (my work calendar is on my Android phone). I don't care about the fitness stuff. And, I was disappointed by 3rd-party apps (their quality, some of it content) besides the apps usually being slow to launch. I did like receiving notifications, for the most part (except for some useless ones like "You've got a message" from WeChat... why not display it?!!?)

I have nobody to send heartbeats or sketches to, other than 2 coworkers, who I didn't even add as "friends", so I never even tried that.

I wasn't convinced it was worth $349 + tax (~$380 total for me), esp. when I'm used to wearing under $50 Casio watches.

I was annoyed that the stock complication had no means of auto-rotating thru a set of stocks. Even my MSN Direct watch (defunct now, service dead) did that.

I ended up ordering another to try for another 2 weeks or returning/selling for a slight profit. If the latter's impossible and I still don't feel it's worth it, back it goes.

I wonder how much WWDC announcements will change things (e.g. native apps). I do expect that 3rd-party apps will get better.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia

If it was designed to be a watch first, it would be round, always-on, last more than a day and have digital seconds.

IMO, apps and 'smart features' were their biggest priority. Otherwise, it would be more like a Pebble, where time is more important and notifications are just an added feature.

Holty123

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
Crington UK

I was all set for selling mine, took it off for two days but started to miss it, so i have decided to keep it, just going to replace the strap when available

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
If it was designed to be a watch first, it would be round, always-on, last more than a day and have digital seconds.

IMO, apps and 'smart features' were their biggest priority. Otherwise, it would be more like a Pebble, where time is more important and notifications are just an added feature.

It wouldn't be always on because battery would be terrible and apple decided rectangular shape was best to display information. As far as digital seconds, more watch faces are obviously coming

jmh286

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
I haven't had any problems with mine since I got it on the 19th. Sure, some of the third party apps are sluggish, but I work in a very loud environment, and used to miss my phone going off all the time, so simply getting notifications with the "tap" on the wrist and being able to quickly reply was worth the money IMO.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I love mine...when it works the way I set it up to work. It's not sluggish, but features spontaneously stop working like taptic notifications of texts and taptic notifications from some apps but not others, and now when I try to call my husband from the watch, my phone and not the watch plays the sound of the call ringing through, which is very confusing. Siri took a hike the other day and I have no idea where she went when I needed her. Bathroom break? :rolleyes:

I'm really getting sick of having to reboot watch and phone or unpair them and re-pair them in hopes such voodoo gets it all working like it's supposed to. I would think I messed up a setting but the thing is I know what I am doing setting the watch up, it works initially, then over a week or two or so just starts doing its own thing and I have to "refresh" it. It's like trying to keep up with kids when they are slacking on their practices and work! o_O

But I knew as an early adopter of a first gen device it would be like this. Actually it's going way better than I expected! The watch is tough as nails and the battery life is incredible and once I got used to it, it's pleasant to wear. I wasn't expecting all of those positives.

At least I CAN get it working right every time I work the voodoo. It would be very concerning if I couldn't. My husband's 42 mm SS watch has been trouble-free so far. But that's the way it's going with our IPhones, too. He never had a problem with his IPhone 6 Plus (identical specs as mine) but I've always had wonky issues. There is the possibility it's my phone and not the watch that's screwing things up.

When the next iPhone models are released I'm looking forward to ditching mine for a new one via AT&T Next, though I won't rush it and make sure I get a good one this time.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
The Apple Watch is a glorified fitness watch... That has apps (which are painful to use), it feels like an after thought. If the AW did not have fitness features I would have passed it up.
The watch is primarily a communications device. It frees myself and most others from having to dig out our phones to check a text, call, news update or reminder. And it allows us to respond directly from the watch again freeing us from having to dig out or even carry our phones. The fitness applications are very useful and desirable additions to the functionality of the watch. As many others on this thread and others have stated I couldn't be without mine now. Mine is not some screaming super computer but it is not slow for the functions I use most often. As time goes on additional functions and integration with health applications will be enabled. And software updates may make "slow" applications faster.

If you bought it as a "glorified fitness watch" you grossly overpaid. If the original poster wants to get rid of the watch make me a deal. My wife really wants one now that she's seen what I do with mine. And she already has one of those cheap-ass "glorified fitness" things.

kdarling

macrumors P6
What history are you talking about?

White papers, which you can find here.

I'm glad you asked, since it turns out that I've been incorrectly quoting an article which referenced them! The actual result was:

"more than half of the survey's respondents said that they no longer use their activity tracker, and a third of those stopped using the device within six months of receiving it."

The white papers are interesting, since they talk about what the author views as necessary for people to adopt a wearable long term.

Some of the items include: being stylish, water resistant, having long battery life, and user goal setting with constant encouraging feedback. Seems that Apple hit all the major ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.