Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ClassiMacYT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2020
I got a PowerBook g4 high rez recently with OSX Tiger 10.4.11 after using it for a while I wanted to update to OSX Leopard but I don't have a DVD and don't have a DVD to burn it to, so I thought I would make a bootable USB. I made it with disk utility on OSX Snow Leopard and then followed this guide to boot it, it booted to an Apple logo the usb started being read but after about 30 seconds. Then it stopped reading and showed a prohibited sign. I know the usb works cause I've had it for years and I know the disk image works cause I used it to install on an 800mhz iMac g4.

I don't want to buy a disk if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    673.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3414.jpg
    IMG_3414.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_6098.jpg
    IMG_6098.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9786.jpg
    IMG_9786.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 92

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is the USB stick formatted GUID or APM? You said you did this using Disk Utility on Snow Leopard right? That means you did it on an Intel Mac and I suspect when you formatted the stick, DU in Snow Leopard probably defaulted to GUID, 'cause Intel.

If it is APM, can you try and boot verbose? CMD+V when the Mac chimes. That'd let us see how far the Mac gets before it stops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.