Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jogl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Do we have any AE users who have high DPI/large screens?

I'm running a 4k 32" monitor from a 15" Mbp and it seems it's running at 144ppi, which means my comp (1080p) display is tiny on screen, not essentially the half it should be.

It's obviously hard to see detail in a comp at 100% when it's running at retina (?) Ppi.

Does anyone know a way of adjusting this? I've obviously tried the display scaling and it makes no difference AFAIK.
The weird thing is, this is my second screen of this same model and the previous one displayed at the Ppi im looking for out of the box.

Sorry for that potentially dreadful explanation, hope it makes sense to other AE users!
cheers.

tlnargi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2019
Do we have any AE users who have high DPI/large screens?

I'm running a 4k 32" monitor from a 15" Mbp and it seems it's running at 144ppi, which means my comp (1080p) display is tiny on screen, not essentially the half it should be.

It's obviously hard to see detail in a comp at 100% when it's running at retina (?) Ppi.

Does anyone know a way of adjusting this? I've obviously tried the display scaling and it makes no difference AFAIK.
The weird thing is, this is my second screen of this same model and the previous one displayed at the Ppi im looking for out of the box.

Sorry for that potentially dreadful explanation, hope it makes sense to other AE users!
cheers.

I do but I’m not sure what you’re asking. My setup is the same as yours.

jogl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
When you're viewing at 144 Ppi, you're not seeing it pixel for pixel 1/1. So on a 4k screen, your 1080p comp should take up around half of the screens worth of pixels at full size. Mine is 1/3 at best.

So in a nutshell, i'm looking to get AE to display my comp at 1/1 resolution, not scaled.

tlnargi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2019
When you're viewing at 144 Ppi, you're not seeing it pixel for pixel 1/1. So on a 4k screen, your 1080p comp should take up around half of the screens worth of pixels at full size. Mine is 1/3 at best.

So in a nutshell, i'm looking to get AE to display my comp at 1/1 resolution, not scaled.

I’m not sure. AE displays at 100% 1:1 for me. I even set my 4k to 1080p resolution for retina.

I also thought inside the comp at 100% the pixels are 1:1 no matter what.

jogl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Thanks bud.

My screen looks like the attached...
It's 3840 x 2160
and the comp is 1920 x 1080

So on your monitor, your 1080p comp at native res takes up around 50% of the screen?

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 373

jogl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
For anyone coming here with the same problems, it seems i've found a temporary fix.

Close Afx
Click 'Get info' on the app. Select 'Open in low resolution'.
Open Afx.
Preview should be 100% pixel for pixel now.

The interface seems to lose a little sharpness, however.

Reactions: tlnargi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.