Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Ok I have footage of a Temple looking church in brooklyn that I shot handheld. Its about 300 yards away. Now I would like to add to this church maybe add a tower ontop of it with a digitmatte. My question is normally I would track this top of the church with a 1 point position track. I have done that and a 4 pt corner pin (perspective) to match a tv pan or something. With this becuase i zoom in at the end I figured to click on the scale option and use a 2 pt track. Could someone simply explain the best way to do a scale or rotation what these mean basically? I would apreciate it

--- I tried it and basically tracked the building top with 1 pt and the 2nd pt i tracked something close to the camera figured it would scale it and it worked sort of but the things i added to track had a serious jitter to them and didnt look smooth. Would i have to go in to the trackers and fix this cause im not sure how.Thanks again

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I'm not an After Effects guru by any means, but this sounds like an extremely difficult task to pull off.

So you're trying to add a tower to a church that you shot handheld... Are you going for a realistic look? Even high-end production studios often end up putting lots of time into similar projects with unrealistic results.

Post a video of what you've accomplished thus far, and it will help us in understanding what you're going for.

MR users will always reply to posts with video attached:) .

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
I figured I took this still from the video. I want to simply add an extra piece like cg extension which I could do in photoshop becasue no parallax perspective change in the shot.

Attachments

• Templestill(0;00;06;08).jpg
    Templestill(0;00;06;08).jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 142

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Well can anyone help me with wire/rig removal? I have taken a shot and used 2 tennis balls as tracking markers. Being that the shot is moving I do not have a background plate. Could someone help me out I dont know to much on how to do this without a plate(camera movement)?

RAS admin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
Berkshires, Mass.
You may be able to get rid of the jitter in the motion tracking by deleting a bunch of splines in the tracking data. You can make your own plate by choosing a frame of the video and painting out the tennis balls. Then export a tiff of that one frame and then import it as a background plate. Make a roto around the tennis balls so the background plate shows through.

Edit: oh yeah, you need to apply the motion tracking data to the background plate layer so it moves with the foreground.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Thanks Ras that makes alot of sense . Is this what they normally do? Or take like wire removal plugins in combustion or AE that pulls the pixles on each side of the wire to cover it up? Thanks again

RAS admin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
Berkshires, Mass.
I've never tried the plugins but I have done wire/rig removal for a stop-motion animation TV show. I usually had background plates supplied, but these were rarely a perfect match for the duration of the clip, and sometimes there was too much camera movement for the plates to be helpful. I would usually either use the background plates and change the brightness/hue when necessary, or just clone/superclone over the wire/rig when there was camera movement. I guess the plugins do the same thing as cloning.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Ok so I made a tower in photoshop and wanted to add it to the top of that picture i posted. The picture is a frame from the footage. I motion tracked with 1 point the top of the tower. Well the right side of the curve and when i play it back it plays a bit jittery very small but extremely noticable. Could this be due to the fact the image seems to be all in one color tone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.