Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
You all have me wondering whether it's worth the trouble at all to do the break.

The apps don't seem that wonderful for all the small but time consuming issues that get created.

unkn0wnsoldier

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
Fountain, Co
Some folks at another forum are blaming mim for the loss of location services. I had ifile, backgrounder, adblock, and sbsettings installed. I too lost gps from installing something, but after a restore, it's working again. Then I reinstalled backgrounder. No issues yet. I'm not going to bother with the rest of the apps until we can find the culprit.

WERA Cannoli

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
I'm seeing this too. Hope it's an easy fix.

Cydia apps installed (and all their dependencies):

AppSync for OS 3.2
Backgrounder
OpenSSH
Safari Download Plug-In
Installous

brandnb

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
Can someone explain the benefits of jail breaking an iPad? I have a 16gb wifi iPad and if there are any benefits for jail breaking might considered. Thanks

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Seems like it's SBSettings that's causing the problem.

Did everyone check their toggles? Maybe your "Location Services" toggle is off.

Gqkevyn

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
xraytech said:
Seems like it's SBSettings that's causing the problem.

Did everyone check their toggles? Maybe your "Location Services" toggle is off.

I tried playing with the location service toggle didn't help any. It seems that quite a few people are having problems with SBSettings, but I never installed that and still have the same gps problem.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Remove OpenSSH and reboot.

Unfortunately I've found it to be the cause. I've resorted to using iFunbox and USB transferring in the meantime.

Gqkevyn

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
Remove OpenSSH and reboot.

Unfortunately I've found it to be the cause. I've resorted to using iFunbox and USB transferring in the meantime.

Wow thanks I never even thought about openssh almost forgot I even had it. Thanks!

johndoe588

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Upstate New York
Hi everyone,

I DO NOT yet have an iPad, but have a similar problem on my early model 3gs. Jailbroken with all the programs usually thought to cause this. Not always but somewhat often I get the message "your location could not be determined". A "reset network settings" almost always fixes it for me. I have no idea why.

John B.

microman

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
Odd, removing SSH did fix this for me as well on my WiFi model.. however, It was not working even before I put SSH on there.. oh well.. its working now.. i will just leave SSH off the unit unless I need it.

perfecblue

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2008
It seems like OpenSSH is breaking iPad Wifi's Location Services at this point. Here are the remedies I saw on the iPad JB Compatibility List:

You can fix location service by running the following command from SSH Terminal.

launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locationd.plist
launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locationd.plist

That will fix the location service.
-(Hiren)

This will work as long as you don't reboot the iPad. Once rebooted, will need to do it again to get location service back.

DSchwartz88

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2006
how to i do ssh terminal?

and you installed OpenSSH why?

Im just kidding around, look at Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal.app, if it scares you when first open it then dont use it, its really awesome ONLY if you know what your doing.

on a second note:

It seems like OpenSSH is breaking iPad Wifi's Location Services at this point. Here are the remedies I saw on the iPad JB Compatibility List:

You can fix location service by running the following command from SSH Terminal.

launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locationd.plist
launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locationd.plist

That will fix the location service.
-(Hiren)

This will work as long as you don't reboot the iPad. Once rebooted, will need to do it again to get location service back.

I can confirm this fix works.

anonymous6237

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Plano, TX
Wow, thanks for figuring that out. I didn't realize a particular time location services stopped working (wifi owner here) but I've been noticing it more and more in the last week. I just figured it had something to do with the corporate firewall and it hadn't bothered me enough to test it elsewhere.

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
I removed OpenSSH. Ugh, I hope they update it soon. I am using iFile to access the local file system in the meantime.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Ah! Thanks for this thread. I nuked OpenSSH and all is fine.
You guys are great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.