Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamov

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
These are incredible annoyances. I love my mac, but this makes the mac incredibly useless in many fashions. I understand that there is the little app, caffeine, and I have had that for a long time, it works if I remember to turn it on. But in reality, i don't ever want my computer to go to sleep. I will turn if off when I don't want it on, otherwise I want it on. Dear Apple, I am old enough and spent enough money on my computer to make decisions for it as to when it turns off and when it is turned on. Please don't mess with it, and lets bring back the way it worked in Lion.

Please jacurtis, don't forget to send this to apple via their feedback form.

Mac_i_Am

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2004
austin, tx
Came here looking for a solution to this very problem: new imac wont stay awake for me to do overnight uploading, etc.

Low and behold there isn't a real solution from apple so going w/ caffeine for now.

Sometimes the restrictions that come apple, which border on lunacy/arrogance/incompetence, is really staggering.
:apple::mad:

nextdimension

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2007
Came here looking for a solution to my brand new mac mini sleeping while Steam is downloading large games. Caffeine...hmmmm. Time for Apple to beat compliance out of all apps that use the network...even Apple's own.

CyrusOz

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
Apple are like that eccentric friend that we all know, they are brilliant at most things but then they go and do stupid ***** that just pi$$es everybody off and they wonder why they get their a$$es kicked at parties.

I bought a new Mac last week and to be honest this in itself is enough for me to be wishing i just went and purchased a PC instead, because at least PC's (except for HP and Toshiba) don't tell us how to run our computers with rubbish updates like this from ML.

CyrusOz

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
Further to my last post, it astounds me that Apple have not rectified this abomination. I'm absolutely disgusted that a new computer will shut down only minutes into a download just because I'm not there tapping away at the keyboard or mouse. I don't want to have to dial my power settings to the extreme just to finish a simple task like downloading music or movies. ANNOYED!

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Further to my last post, it astounds me that Apple have not rectified this abomination. I'm absolutely disgusted that a new computer will shut down only minutes into a download just because I'm not there tapping away at the keyboard or mouse. I don't want to have to dial my power settings to the extreme just to finish a simple task like downloading music or movies. ANNOYED!

The reason this has been done is for the majority of users, it extends battery life. I leave programs running all the time. I'd still like my Mac to sleep. For those programs that need the computer to remain awake, then there is an option for the program to request the Mac not to go to sleep until it's done.

It's not an abomination, it is working as designed, and Apple did put in something to allow apps that need it to keep the computer awake. It isn't Apple's fault that a third party developer isn't using them.

DianeK

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2013
For those programs that need the computer to remain awake, then there is an option for the program to request the Mac not to go to sleep until it's done.
Could you please tell me where to find and enable this feature?

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
The reason this has been done is for the majority of users, it extends battery life. I leave programs running all the time. I'd still like my Mac to sleep. For those programs that need the computer to remain awake, then there is an option for the program to request the Mac not to go to sleep until it's done.

It's not an abomination, it is working as designed, and Apple did put in something to allow apps that need it to keep the computer awake. It isn't Apple's fault that a third party developer isn't using them.

I have never heard of this.

AlienSexGod

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
Retarded Apple

lol you guys are funny coming up with terminal commands and 3rd party apps to overcome a simple setting in Sys Prefs!

Yes Apple are really dumb to have introduced such a setting, particularly as it IGNORES disk activity of your downloads, set it to ON after an OS update without warning AND bury this change behind an "Advanced" button!

There is nothing advanced about this stupidity. We should all sue Apple for loss of productivity until the solution is found and revealed! :mad:

Solution:

Sys Prefs/Security/General/Advanced button bottom right/uncheck the dumbfluck "Log out after 60 minutes of inactivity" that ignores continued disk activity!

it's retarded :apple:!

MYgiQ7u.jpg

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
lol you guys are funny coming up with terminal commands and 3rd party apps to overcome a simple setting in Sys Prefs!

Yes Apple are really dumb to have introduced such a setting, particularly as it IGNORES disk activity of your downloads, set it to ON after an OS update without warning AND bury this change behind an "Advanced" button!

There is nothing advanced about this stupidity. We should all sue Apple for loss of productivity until the solution is found and revealed! :mad:

Solution:

Sys Prefs/Security/General/Advanced button bottom right/uncheck the dumbfluck "Log out after 60 minutes of inactivity" that ignores continued disk activity!

it's retarded :apple:!

I already had this unchecked and my imac just shut while in full screen in chrome.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Before the 10.8.2, I was able to set the time with Caffeine and it would work...after 10.8.2, each time I watch flash video such as youtube in full screen or even Facetime, ML would go to sleep and even when I wake it up it would go back to sleep after a few minutes.

I read somewhere that because of video memory leaks so when the video ram is full ML put itself to sleep no matter what.

Does anyone have the same problem?

This seems to be affecting me when running Handbrake. Any one else experiencing the same (Mac going to sleep while Handbrake is converting something)?

Yes, I'm having the same problem with Handbrake.
Ridiculous.

Same issue but under 10.9.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Well your mac OS and/or hardware needs a serious service!

Turns out to be a bad dust issue as I tested with the airconditioner on and no random shutdowns. Taking vlc into full screen has just caused it to happen again 3 times in a few min!

Last edited:

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
UK
Seriously, instead of forcing EVERY app to update its code, why couldn't Apple just leave a feature that was working perfectly ALONE ???

Just like their fullscreen Linen fiasco !

And just like dictionairy - you can't double click a word, copy and paste - you have to type out the correct work with dictionairy as a reference - really apple.

Was uploading a huuuge file to muzu.tv - 1.8gb and had caffeine set to 5hours - but in that time I got 10% of the file uploaded - it's so great to wake up to a mac that went to sleep during the upload thus I have to start all over again - great power saving feature that is.

Would go back to snow leopard but too much hassle

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
UK
My feedback to cripple computers inc.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Snow leopard - upload large file using safari / chrome overnight which takes 10-15 hours

Awaken to a uploaded file = reliable

Mountain Lion

Awaken to a incomplete upload (15% done) have to re-upload = waste of power = not energy efficient / stupid backwards feature.

Why does the system IGNORE disc usage / uploading a file? I know apps should be updated so that they essentially do what they did in Snow Leopard but not all apps can be updated nor did anyone tell me when upgrading to this inferior os that it would just randomly SLEEP whilst I'm doing something.

Looks like ill have to use the caffeine plugin and set to 'indefinitely'.

Thanks

steve

PS - when will dictionary be fixed as per 10.6.8?

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
+1 on this annoying issue. Upgraded to mavericks from SL and this one of the most annoying things ever. The OS should be able to monitor disk, processor and network activity and not sleep the computer if you're doing an intensive background task. :eek:

Combine this and my mail issue (broke IMAP) in IOS 7 and I'll probably never update to current OSes again. They just break something that was working for years. :mad:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Well once apps update themselves, you should be back to the old way.

What if they don't update? Do you have to wonder about every single program you add to OSX whether it will screw up the system's sleep behavior? Why should the user have to depend on every single 3rd party software vendor to have their computer behave properly when Apple could have some basic checks like CPU access that is way beyond idle or massive disk activity?

It gets worse, though. After finally straightening out my sleep issues on my 2012 Mac Mini (seems that one particular mouse was always freezing on wake and so I didn't let the computer sleep, but it was just that exact mouse; another same exact model I had on another computer wakes just fine on the same machine), I have no discovered that NFS is not recognized by Apple as an assertion like SMB and AFP are. In other words, even though Apple includes and maintain and updates the NFS protocol, they don't have it in the preference GUI for sharing and if you use it, OSX will ignore activity over NFS to keep the computer awake. And THUS, Apple violates their own rule. Frankly, I think NFS should be right there in the GUI anyway, but it's besides the point. Some of us need NFS for various reasons (Eden XBMC on an older AppleTV being mine that doesn't talk to SMB2 included in Lion and above and frankly, NFS works better than SMB ever did anyway).

Someone could make some money making an assertion program that adds a system assertion when a certain program is running or there's high CPU or disk activity, etc. and removes it after a certain amount of time of non-activity. That would be a FAR better solution than having to run around the house turning caffeine on and off every time I want to watch a movie on the other end of the house (defeating part of the convenience of having a system where I don't have to get up and look for a DVD/BD in the first place; here it's replaced with having to run to the den to stop the server from going to sleep).

Those settings refer to incoming network connections, not outgoing from your Mac.

That's a shame. It shouldn't matter whether it's incoming or outgoing. If there's activity, there's a reason and it should not go to sleep.

Edit: Actually, I just tested it again and it ignores NFS incoming network requests also. It's clearly just not set to recognize NFS. If I access a picture share on the same server from XBMC using AFP, the computer instantly wakes right up. Apple simply needs to add assertion support to NFS. Why include NFS if you're not going to support it? From what I understand, OSX Server used to include GUI configuration for NFS and they removed it. That makes little sense to me. It just seems Apple wants to purposely limit anything not theirs. I assume they only update and include NFS because it's probably required to get their UNIX certification or something.

Solution:

WTF does logging out have to do with anything? I just checked this setting and it's unchecked and never was checked nor have I EVER been logged out automatically by OSX. In short, it has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. :mad:

Last edited:

carmeyeii

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
I actually have the "Computer Sleep" setting in "Enery Saver" to never on Adaptar, and still, for the past 3 days I have been leaving my computer on overnight to do some big uploading to DropBox, and everytime I wake up it is still at the same photo where I left it.

I let it keep uploading after I've presumably woken it up and it continues with the next photo. :confused: :mad: I don't understand why even this setting won't make it keep working at night....

cicuz

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
Latest rMBP, latest OSX, goes to sleep even if it's Safari downloading.

Beyond ridiculous, if you ask me..

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
Is there any solution for this yet besides an app which keeps my computer from sleeping completely? Something that actually does what the OS is supposed to ... monitor hard disk and download and allows sleep once these are complete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.