Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lawlietkm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
when booting, hold down "d". This will take you to hardware diagnostics and should identify your problem. Take a picture of the results and show it to the guys at the apple store.
I did it yesterday and there was no issue found

lawlietkm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
OP:

It's time to do some "diagnosing" of your own.

First, did the shop give back the two DIMMs they took out?

I will assume the iMac has the 2 factory-installed DIMMs in it?

What I would try first is to REMOVE, and then RE-SEAT the two factory DIMMs.
Carefully wipe the contacts while you have them out.

Then try booting again.

Do the problems persist?

OK, then let's do this:
REMOVE the factory DIMMs and set them aside for the moment.

Now, put in the 3rd-party DIMMs where the factory DIMMs were.

Try rebooting.
Do the problems persist?

The iMac has an SSD inside, is this correct?

Have you tried "a safe boot"?
(power off, hold down (and KEEP holding down) the shift key as you press the power on button and the iMac boots).

A safe boot skips loading extensions and 3rd-party stuff.
Does this change anything?
yes they attached the two dimms they took out and the imac still has the two factory installed they came with.

I tried to remove and re-seat the two factory dimms and the problem remained the same, I have not wiped it though (before to see your message)

I'll try to boot with the 3rd-party dimms

I believe that I've tried "safe booting" but it didn't change, unless I have done it wrong (I'll give it another try after this message)

edit: I indeed did the safe boot correctly, as well as the hardware diagnostic and it does not find anything

Last edited:

lawlietkm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
I've installed the 3rd party dimms back, replacing the apple factory ones, and the result is still the same

Reactions: Reggaenald

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
I have an iMac 27" 2020 since the release and for weeks now the device kept crashing randomly.

After resetting and everything, I went to the Apple store to try and fix it.

I got it back today, they said that they removed the 2 rams I've installed on top of the base ones, back in 2020, and it's supposed to be working now. But it's not.

I boot it up and it's a grey screen, it keeps restarting and ending up on a grey screen, in a loop.

I'm not sure what to do, I've basically tried everything so far, key combination, reset again and reinstall again and the same problem is still going on. Though now it's not crash anymore it's just completely bricky, can't use it at this point.

I'll call them tomorrow to tell them that but I've wanted to ask for some opinion here meanwhile.
You may have to take it to the same store but it may be better to take to a third party repair. They tend to give a crap more then Apple geniuses who just “follow orders.”

lawlietkm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
You may have to take it to the same store but it may be better to take to a third party repair. They tend to give a crap more then Apple geniuses who just “follow orders.”
I brought it to the same store and also by the mean time started to buy my new setup (lol)

I funnily enough was taken care of by the guy who had the idea in the tech team to take off the additional ram he said

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.