Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandomUser0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2022
When I update IOS, some of the settings in the settings app reset to their defaults. For example, I turned off all apple analytics and ads improvements and this kind of stuff but after update they are reverted back to default. Is that legal?

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
When I update IOS, some of the settings in the settings app reset to their defaults. For example, I turned off all apple analytics and ads improvements and this kind of stuff but after update they are reverted back to default. Is that legal?
It's bloody annoying, isn't it.
I've got into the habit of going through my settings after an update just to make sure things haven't been turned back on. I remember once iCloud photos was turned on without my consent after an update.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I've only had that happen a few times when updating.. It's annoying but definitely shouldn't be happening every time you're installing an update

Last edited:

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
Welcome to the world of OS upgrades in general. Overall, this is not uncommon although it is less common on iphone. Sometimes when things are upgraded, configuration is reverted either intentionally as part of the upgrade, or in error(a bug during the actual upgrade process).

JustSomebody12

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2020
It's bloody annoying, isn't it.
I've got into the habit of going through my settings after an update just to make sure things haven't been turned back on. I remember once iCloud photos was turned on without my consent after an update.
Why does it happen?

I supposed the settings were stored separately from the OS.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Didn't happen to me - those are still off - who knows why for some and not for others

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.