Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't know how else to excite myself....

I already want the next thing.

I remember when I got iPhone X on launch day, 2 days later, I was already bored.

Is that a millennial thing?

Things don't seem to excite me for longer than 48 hours, in some cases, 10 minutes....

You are expecting entertainment from an operating system?

Reactions: -BigMac-

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why else would I spent over 1.000€ on a phone?
It's a good and fast device that is the latest mobile computer essentially.

I mean there are $20 vacuum cleaners and there are $500 vacuum cleaners, with plenty of people buying all kinds, including the more expensive ones. Those don't really provide more entertainment, they can just be better and/or more reliable at what they do or at how their owners prefer things to be.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
If you are seeking excitement in life from.........new phone settings.........then I'd be a little concerned. There is a whole world out there and you are getting irritated because some new phone settings aren't making you really happy. The millennial thing would explain it I guess.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017

I remember when I got iPhone X on launch day, 2 days later, I was already bored.

Things don't seem to excite me for longer than 48 hours, in some cases, 10 minutes....
This is a psycological problem that far too many people suffer from today. I don’t think it’s a milleninial thing in full but a matter of how easy it is to get hold of new stuff.
Before, and I mean a real long time ago, people saw things that they wanted and most had to work real hard to get money to buy it. Then when the item was bought, there was many real social events, such as meeting friends IRL, attending class IRL, working long days etc. Now, at least after the latest financial crisis, kids and their parents mostly have much more money to spend since real estate and stock market gone up so much. People are also less IRL, i.e. working home, studying from home, spending time with friends online etc. All together this means that it’s much easier now to buy what you want and spend a lot of time playing with it, hence people get bored fast and want more and more and more. Then when it’s nothing else to buy of what people are interested in, such as no iPhone X second generation or iOS 13, people get bored. It’s really sad and I find my self being just there very often - it’s really sad! Many people enjoyed things much more ”before” and felt really much better inside themselfs.
So, stop buying everything as soon as it’s released and spend less time playing with it when you do buy it - then you’ll enjoy it in a different way. I try to do that, but it’s not easy.

Last edited:

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Some hope, others expect

It's still about being excited

Software and excitement... two things I never expected in the same sentence.

There are a lot of things in life that are exciting. The best ones don’t have a screen, a power connection, or a battery.
[doublepost=1528191131][/doublepost]

Put the phone away. Forget that electronics exist.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
A millennial thing? Lol please. I don't know what kind of "thing" this is but I don't think it applies to 99% of phone users. I guess I don't see why phones should be endlessly entertaining... They're just launchers for texting and apps

I mean it's not like turning the phone on and going to settings or turning the volume buttons up and down is meant to entertain you for hours

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
It's a good and fast device that is the latest mobile computer essentially.

I mean there are $20 vacuum cleaners and there are $500 vacuum cleaners, with plenty of people buying all kinds, including the more expensive ones. Those don't really provide more entertainment, they can just be better and/or more reliable at what they do or at how their owners prefer things to be.

On that note... I typically find the $500 and the $20 vacuum cleaners to be surprisingly comparable.

The ones that have always worked best for me have typically been in the $120 range. Seems that’s where the real power is.

The $20 ones are poor performers, and the $500 ones seem to be gimmicks or big expensive names that deliver $20 performance.

homohurre123

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
Has anyone tried iOS 12 yet on a 5s or a 6 yet to see if it does make it faster?
yes i did on 5s and it feels a lot faster in my opinion. It just a bit slower then my iPhone 6s on 11.4 which is a big step in my oppinion. Also things like the Keyboard popping up are much faster and dont annoy anymore. I just fell like the app store app got a bit slower but I seriously dont mind @ all. And since its stil beta 1 im very Happy!

Last edited:
Reactions: Reno Raines

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
No-one currently using iOS 12 should be bored, they should be frantically developing changes to their apps so they're compatible once it goes public. There's work to do.

Reactions: PBG4 Dude

DeApp1e

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2015
United Kingdom
I'm really happy with iOS 12, it's better to have improved functionality (and speed) than new features and gimmicks that are buggy/not polished.

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012

phones all pretty much do the same thing. New features isnt going to change this much. I only use safari, messages, music, social media and read books on my phone. Thats all i really need. Everything else is just extra

homohurre123

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
phones all pretty much do the same thing. New features isnt going to change this much. I only use safari, messages, music, social media and read books on my phone. Thats all i really need. Everything else is just extra
To be honest things like the measurement tool are very handy. If it works as reliable as advertised this could be another nice to have piece in your phone

Reactions: jhall8

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
iOS 12 isn't a game or a tv show or a book. The excitement people feel about it comes from the improvements it can bring to their lives or at least digital lives over the course of the next year. Small daily things. When they jump to the betas they usually expect that sense of reward all at once, which doesn't make sense.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
On that note... I typically find the $500 and the $20 vacuum cleaners to be surprisingly comparable.

The ones that have always worked best for me have typically been in the $120 range. Seems that’s where the real power is.

The $20 ones are poor performers, and the $500 ones seem to be gimmicks or big expensive names that deliver $20 performance.
In that vein an $80k car and a $15k car are comparable also. Both get you to where you are going. Have radios, headlights and steering wheels and brakes. Both accelerate and stop. Choices are good.
yes i did on 5s and it feels a lot faster in my opinion. It just a bit slower then my iPhone 6s on 11.4 which is a big step in my oppinion. Also things like the Keyboard popping up are much faster and dont annoy anymore. I just fell like the app store app got a bit slower but I seriously dont mind @ all. And since its stil beta 1 im very Happy!
I installed iOS 12 on my 5s and it runs surprisingly well. Even given it is a first beta. Group FaceTime has me really excited.

Reactions: flyinmac

3:16

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
I might be misunderstanding you, but if you have iOS 9 on a 6s, I wouldn't update... I don't think it will be faster than iOS 9. I hope, mainly for the 5s users's sake, that it actually delivers on its promise to improve performance.
Unfortunately my device is on iOS 11 :( so it’s no better than anything, I’m thinking of downloading iOS 12 today. Hope it don’t disappoint.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Unfortunately my device is on iOS 11 :( so it’s no better than anything, I’m thinking of downloading iOS 12 today. Hope it don’t disappoint.
Then you can try it and always go back. It's up to you if you want to deal with potential beta issues, although I've read positive comments here so far.

Reactions: 3:16

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I mean iOS 12 doesn’t have that much in it. Wait for iOS 13 and hopefully that’ll excite you a bit more...

Packer2058

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2009

I always go through the same thing haha. With every phone and piece of tech I've ever owned haha!

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
The French invented a great word for this: ennui. It's a problem within yourself not with the iPhone or iOS. If you want to fix it you should occupy your time with learning new things and having real-life experiences, talking with other people, etc. Electronic devices are supposed to be tools to help us have more time to do those things. Instead we try to use them to occupy more time and then wonder why we're dissatisfied.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.