Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2002
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. Didn't know where to put it since there isn't an official CarPlay section.

I am in the process of looking for a new car. Looking at the CRV and Ford Escape. Haven't decided if I am getting a car now or in the fall when new models are out. One of the features I would really like is CarPlay. The current Ford will be getting it as an update, and I can't find any info on the current or future CRVs for CarPlay. I like the CRV overall better and would like to get that one. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in installing an aftermarket CarPlay radio in a vehicle and if it is possible to get the built in mic and steering wheel controls to work with the aftermarket radio? I would prefer the built in route, but am considering aftermarket if it isn't available in my final choice.

Thanks for your help!
Macaddict16

Reactions: eyeseeyou

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Yes you can retain factory steering wheel controls. Sometimes you can retain factory mic but generally the aftermarket mics are better.

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
I'm ready to see some new aftermarket Carplay stereos with the wireless capability. There is little to no news on that front.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.