Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I'm starting to do some research on third party car play stereos of my Honda Accord 2017 EX. I haven't had a working Car Play for a few years and since I came back to apple last year, I've been using a car mount. However, I do miss Car Play and would like to get it back somehow. The issue is car play would crash if I use the navigation system. It was also end up crashing the entire infotainment system on the car, which is pretty dangerous if you are driving. I've visited sites saying it's not recommended (Crutchfield) to replace the factory radio but I think I'm going to do it anyway.

Despite that though, I don't really know anything about this process, which is why I'm asking here. If anyone will give me any help you can I would appreciate it. I know it's possible to install a third party stereo system on the car (My friend did a pioneer NEX for his Honda Ridgeline which was a 2010 car) but I really don't know how it all works or where to go and how much it could be.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I'm starting to do some research on third party car play stereos of my Honda Accord 2017 EX. I haven't had a working Car Play for a few years and since I came back to apple last year, I've been using a car mount. However, I do miss Car Play and would like to get it back somehow. The issue is car play would crash if I use the navigation system. It was also end up crashing the entire infotainment system on the car, which is pretty dangerous if you are driving. I've visited sites saying it's not recommended (Crutchfield) to replace the factory radio but I think I'm going to do it anyway.

Despite that though, I don't really know anything about this process, which is why I'm asking here. If anyone will give me any help you can I would appreciate it. I know it's possible to install a third party stereo system on the car (My friend did a pioneer NEX for his Honda Ridgeline which was a 2010 car) but I really don't know how it all works or where to go and how much it could be.

I did an aftermarket (Alpine) in my 2009 Mazda MX-5 back in 2016... worked great... wireless CarPlay with no issues whatsoever. I bought my Alpine head unit at Best Buy and got free basic installation... It was still working flawlessly when I sold the MX-5 in 2021.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.