Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2003
Realizing that these questions come up about once a week, I'm sorry to trouble the regulars again with them.
But a few quick questions from a young'un:

I'm getting a computer and 3-chip camera.
1) Does anyone know of a reliable (or semi-reliable) website that posts news of new releases in digital camcorders? CNET doesn't update their release calendar ever and I want to know if anything on the horizon should give me pause.

2)Has anyone here ever edited Final Cut Pro 4 on a powerbook? How does it hold up against editing on an imac?

Lastly, the cameras I'm looking at are the canon gl2 and the panasonic AG-dvx100? Anything I should know?

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Final Cut Pro is the most reliable software ever.

I'm using FCP 2 in a Powerbook G3 500 with 256MB Ram under OS 9.2.2 and is incredible how loyal and reliable the software is. It doesn't freeze at all, I can plug any firewire capture device and like nothing.

I just edit some heavy video broadcast quality, I had the computer runing for 4 full days rendering in After Effects and FCP and perfect.

Remember that FCP source code is made by the same people that made the OS so forget about bugs with the system.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
can't find any news about camcorders? come on... there's gotta be heaps of sites out there. just google it. i can also remember seeing some camcorder magazines in my local newsagent, and if there's a magazine about something, that usually means there's even more stuff on the net about it.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
My advice is going to a Barnes and Noble and picking up a good mag on it. They have specialty mags devoted to stuff like cameras which could give you all the info you could ever want or need on current/future hardware.

jadariv

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2002
I've said it before and i will say it again:

The Panasonic DVX 100 is the awesome. I have shot stuff with a lot of the current 3 ccd cameras and that panasonic is great.

Shot some mountain climbing stuff last weekend and it came out beautifully. My friend brought along his PB 500 with FCP 3 on it and it worked fine. That poor PB has been through hell and back.

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2003
LA
Are you nuts?

Originally posted by mymemory
Final Cut Pro is the most reliable software ever.

I'm using FCP 2 in a Powerbook G3 500 with 256MB Ram under OS 9.2.2 and is incredible how loyal and reliable the software is. It doesn't freeze at all, I can plug any firewire capture device and like nothing.

I just edit some heavy video broadcast quality, I had the computer runing for 4 full days rendering in After Effects and FCP and perfect.

Remember that FCP source code is made by the same people that made the OS so forget about bugs with the system.

I thought you were being sarcastic when you said that! I had to read it again.

To preface: I am using FCP 4 on a dual 1.25 running 10.2.6 with 2gigs RAM, Medea SCSI RAID, Kona SD card. I have been using FCP since version 1. I work in television Post Production.

1. FCP is the much less reliable than any Avid I have used. Especially because you have to rely on third party equipment to interface perfectly with your coputer running FCP.

2. FCP was originally a Macromedia product. I am not sure that the source sode IS made by the same people that made the OS.

3. FCP DOES CRASH! Especially in OSX. That is why they had to release a reliability upgrade today via software update. And there were many upgrades to FCP 3.

4. DV is not exactly Broadcast quality. There are only two things delivering broadcast quality through fireiwre and those are the Avid Adrenaline and the new AJA I/O (a fantastic product).

With that being said, FCP is a great product for the price and is a prosumer's dream. If you need something to edit DV with and you can't afford Avid Express, then FCP will work very well for you.

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2003
LA
Re: Again with the most annoying questions ever:

Originally posted by samus

2)Has anyone here ever edited Final Cut Pro 4 on a powerbook? How does it hold up against editing on an imac?

On a new 15 or 17 inch Powerbook it works great. Just as good as an iMac.

Lastly, the cameras I'm looking at are the canon gl2 and the panasonic AG-dvx100? Anything I should know?
[/B]

The Panasonic is the best 3 chip prosumer camera you can buy. It blows the Canon Gl2 away. There are too many reasons to list.

There are many FCP user groups that have websites regarding this stuff. I think Ken Stone has a website with a lot of info, but I don't have the link. Just google it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.